3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pack-saw??  (Read 697 times)

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pack-saw??
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »
I use a wicked tree saw. I have not broken the blade yet. I use to break one each year, and was sick of busting my knuckles, so I paid the extra. I  dropped my first one in a ditch behind my house when I was working one day and did not realize it. Hunting season rolled around and I could not find it. Ordered another one. A year later I was around that same ditch and looked down and there it was. I have no idea with the amount of water that flows thru their it did not wash away. Picked it up cleaned the rust, oiled it up and now I have two of them. I have used it just as much as the other saws I had before but the blade has remained sharp, blade has not broken and the handle is really amazing.

http://wickedtreegear.com/index_handsaw.html  

here you can read reviews from Cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Wicked-Tree-Gear-Wicked-Tough-Handsaw/1379175.uts#BVRRWidgetID
Working that Northern Mist Mojo!
Making the transition from one who hunts bows to one who bowhunts!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
looks slick blessed!

I dug out the newer one I'm carrying.

Its an outdoors edge grizz saw.  I haven't ran it through bone yet, so I'll hopefully report this sept with a swamp donkey.

http://www.outdooredge.com/product-p/griz-saw.htm

Offline Warren H. Womack

• Trad Bowhunter
>>>==Warren==>>>

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
Sven (triangle design) makes a nice folding saw for back packing.When I purchased mine many years ago Sven also sold blades for boning   :archer2:

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
X2 on the Wicked Tree Saw- best folding saw ever IMHO.
Comfortable grip, indestructible handle, strong SHARP blade... what more can you ask for? The holster is really handy too, allows you to sheath it with the blade open while climbing/ trimming for easy one-hand operation. Great product!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 03:26:00 PM »
I just ordered a Wicked tree saw yesterday. Looks like a great saw.

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
I also found the wicked saw to be smaller than others when folded in the pack.
Working that Northern Mist Mojo!
Making the transition from one who hunts bows to one who bowhunts!

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
Herdbull,

Sorry Mike... Forgot to add Wicked makes a great bonesaw version as well.

http://wickedtreegear.com/index_bonesaw.html

Ron
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
Thanks. I have Wicked tree saw, but looking for a bone saw. Thanks all.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
I just ordered the Wicked saw.Sounds like a great saw but I wouldn't want to have to chew on an Alaskan moose skull with one though.The only one I could think of is that Wyoming saw and I'd probably lean toward the larger size.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 01:30:00 AM »
Coghlan's folding Sierra saw is the only folding saw I carry. The handle is extremely durable, the blade is very sharp, and it only weighs 5.5 oz.  The blade is more flexible than others I have owned but I have yet to destroy it.  Also economical.  Cuts wood like nobody's business. I gave my Gerber to a nephew.  Much heavier.

http://www.coghlans.com/products/sierra-saw-8400
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 05:28:00 AM »
For hard use on branches the wicked tree saw is unbeatable, if your looking for a saw to do both in my opinion you cannot beat a wyoming saw with bone and wood blades, the nylon pouch version is really not very heavy.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2014, 07:34:00 AM »
The Silky Pro-Sentei is my favorite backcountry saw. I can cut 4-6" trees for poles and serious firewood. 2-4" dry wood cuts extremely fast for my woodstove. Small branches cut with a single stroke. I'm one of the few guys who doesn't care for a folding saw. My Pro-Sentei has a fixed blade and great grip, along with a light plastic sheath. I find it to be a faster cutter than any of my good folding saws. I haven't tried this saw on a skull, but believe it would shave green bone effectively...even a moose skull.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
U can use a smaller Wyoming saw.  Get forward of the brows a bit.   If u want less bone once the caps cut off flip it over and trim what u don't want.

I don't cut bones instead pack out quarters.   Though I don't hunt down in the special bone in giganticus moose area either.  I get your lower lumber pain of 150 or more bone in hind quarters.   Our guide area had some monsters (Larry jones and MR James hunt) having packed a few out  keeps you young and invigorated lol !!!

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
I use the smaller wyoming saw for quartering/packing/capping type stuff and a gorilla folder for branches and what not.  I've had the wyoming saw in use for a good while now.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©