3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on bamboo limbs/cores for lb  (Read 1023 times)

Offline 96ssportsp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on bamboo limbs/cores for lb
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
Double post.......
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ & the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom

Raptor Sig LB- 64 55 @ 32

Raptor Sig LB- 62 45 @ 32

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
Kirk:. The old boys that used to say the "cores don't matter on a glass bow" are full of horse feathers...

Absolutely true. Just add a piece of purpleheart or bloodwood to a stack and see what happens to the poundage.
It is simple to figure out stacks for specific woods but play with adding carbon or very stiff wood to the core and you really have to be careful to not end up with a very heavy bow.
Something I have always wondered is this. Stiffer lams add draw weight but usually are heavier apples to apples. So since we have to grind them down in dimension , take weight off in order to hit a specified poundage. (this can be done by adjusting the stack or by side dressing the bow or sanding the glass) it is my opinion that we may as well stick with something like maple or actionboow since we end up in the long run with close to the same weight limb.
Limb recovery is the desired thing here and that is accomplished first with limb geometry and design plus the addition of proper tapers , core woods ect for that specific design.
I believe that this is achieved only by experience and a lot of experiment. I sincerely doubt that the bowyers that would say it doesn't matter have really spent that much time experimenting with different woods as cores, However I will say that of the woods we generally use as core woods there is no huge difference. Difference yes but not really huge. However is is definitely one thing in the equasion.
God bless, Steve
God bless, Steve

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
Hey there brutha Steve,  Haven't seen you posting much lately. Hope things are doing well for you. Kirk

Offline bisket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
wow...didn't know this cat was gonna get off the ground so quick.....

Great information and thanks for the input everybody.

Thanks Kirk for stepping up and giving such detailed information.

I have a great appreciation for the aesthetic qualities of wood and sound in instruments.  However, I am trying to understand the performance qualities of it.

Just another part of the journey to enjoy.

Thanks again.
-Mark
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »
My pleasure Mark,  

I don't mind sharing the things i've learned building bows at all. I'm glad there are some that appreciate it.....

Some folks prefer smoke signals rather than text.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 12:35:00 AM »
I also am thankful for the valuable info shared! I have been considering trying different core woods( I've only used aboo). The years of knowledge passed on by those that don't have too has saved me lots of headache and money. I only hope I can pass it on someday to someone else! Thx everybody!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 01:10:00 AM »
This is a rather simple bow created from a Dryad blank back in the time when they were selling them...I never really thought of it before but there surely appears to be nothing but bamboo in the limbs...I shoot that bow at about a 30 inch draw and I have a feeling it was never intended for that length of draw only being 62 inches long...it is also really a heavier draw weight than I can handle even after I trapped the limbs a bit...but the truth is, if that bow was five pounds lighter in draw weight I would happily cast aside all of my other 20 or so bows and hunt exclusively with it...it performs way beyond what it appears to be

DDave

I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 07:27:00 AM »
I have always preferred the maple core for my Recurve. Very stable and hard hitting and will last for a Loooooong time.
I's good to see Kirk expose some of the myths about bamboo.
Much of what has been touted over the years about bamboos "magic" is true, if you are talking natural "cane" laminations and longbows.
Once the boo is slabbed up and glued back together, you can peel away some of the magic and end up with another decent, stable core material.
Glue is heavy. Action boo I think is better suited to longer narrower limbs.
For the selfbow fan that wants to have a bamboo back and belly, you may need to temper the belly to help resist compression.
I also agree that more boo is needed to produce the same draw weight. AND quality does very. ALOT!
YMMV.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline bisket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
Chuck-  I was hoping you would chime in.

The man with the craft of making wood work.

Should have just asked you in the first place.  :rolleyes:  

I'm thinking I may have to go with the walnut cores on the next one.

Mark
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
-Henry David Thoreau

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©