3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Meet the "Badass": Leon Stewart Lil Slammer ride-in-the-saddle review (pic heavy)  (Read 1655 times)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
I'm not gonna lie, I hate wait times on custom builds.  I don't think I'm alone.  As picky and fickle as I am when it comes to bows it does not bode well for me $-wise when I have to put a deposit on something and then patiently await the end result...in the past and even recently I have shaken my head in mock disgust and kicked myself for being guilty of buying and selling a mess of easily available used or stock new bows during the wait just to tide me over when all I really wanted was the custom bow I ordered.  So it goes for bow aficionados everywhere no doubt                :bigsmyl:                BUT, the wait times are just part of how it is; most bowyers must earn income through other means, not to mention the backlog of orders that is common when a bowyer is popular and "in demand".  I'm really happy I've got this one finally.  Now that it's here I'm down to a small handful of true 'keeper' bows that just work perfectly for my style of hunting.

As I admitted in my review of the 2014 St. Jude's Java Man Elkheart review, one of my motivators for bidding, aside from the main one of helping the kids, was knowing that my wait time would be exceedingly short, LOL.  As an aside, let me just say that the Java has become my #1 of late, since arrival she has gone both 3D shooting and hunting with me even managing a sweet close range out-of-season practice stalk on a deer and we are now one.  

Anyway, it's 8 months later and I now have in my hands a similar bow to the Elkheart:  Leon Stewart's Lil Slammer 56 hybrid longbow, and I can say happily it was worth the wait.  They are similar in that the Lil Slammer is, just like Gregg's creation, a fast, quiet, and SHORT hybrid longbow built by a master craftsman.  Where I believe they differ is the approach. To me that is a beautiful thing, because to me the bows these two fellows build have a style that is so individual to who they are.  Gregg's creations have an edgy, primal and organic feel to them...predatory, with an air of mystery, echoing the call of the Wild and traditional archery's march into the future.  All this in a similar spirit to Jim Neaves at Centaur, another of my personal favorites.  

Leon's bows have a simple grace of perfectly proportioned curves charged with potential energy, lovingly finished surfaces and elegant attention to detail that reflect, as he would be first to point out, "Old World" craftsmanship...the timelessness of hunting and its traditions, the legacy of artisans from ages past...I can easily picture a Stewart bow transported back in time held in the hand of an early European settler of the Americas as he or she scanned a river valley from a distant ridge top, OR cradled gracefully in the arms of an ancient Greco-Roman sculpture of Cupid or Artemis.

I do love to compare and contrast these wonderful tools and artworks we're so lucky to have for our enjoyment in this age.  Of course, let me temper my enthusiasm by coming back down to earth and stating that surely a simple stick and string will do the job.  After all, it is the shooter that ultimately matters, and I'd be the first to admit I'm no Howard or Robin.  But, it is undeniable that the allure of the quest for the peerless weapon has enthralled warriors and hunters alike for aeons.                 :goldtooth:                            :biglaugh:               That sure saves some work!                 :laughing:               It always requires a longer discussion when the bow in question is a markedly stand alone model within a bowyer's lineup.  You basically have to cover the whole scope of shooting characteristics to paint a picture of how the bow performs.  Really what I have realized after sampling the Lil Slammer and several other Slammer models as that we're really talking about one brilliant design with several "sub-models".  This is no mean feat when one considers that the Slammer range as a whole, including the 3pc, is available from lengths of 56-72"!!!  I can only imagine the subtle tweaks it takes to get them all shooting the same over that big of a spread.

The Lil Slammer, if you close your eyes, literally feels, sounds, and shoots exactly like its bigger brothers and sisters.  I laughed out loud on the first shot I took last week when I unpacked it on my day off.  It was just as eerily quiet as the longer Slammers I have owned, dead in the hand, and QUICK with the superb cast Slammers are known for.  I was shaking my head thinking "How can this 54" strung LITTLE bow feel and shoot EXACTLY like a 68" one???  Crazy.  

My draw is a whisker over 29" and the Lil Slammer 56, just like the Elkheart, eats my draw for lunch and feels great doing it.  Leon says the limit for this one is 30", and me overdrawing the bow to test this statement confirmed it.  If you draw over 30" definitely consider a 58" and up Stewart model.  The nice thing about my draw is that at a whisker over 29" I'm well within the sweet draw range but using everything the bow can give performance wise.  It's a quick Lil sucker.  I want to reiterate how quiet it is as well.  Leon's Slammers have always been a benchmark for me as to what a quiet bow truly is.  

The bow is very pointable.  At first glance Leon's grip shape looks pretty standard..no thumb rests here or finger grooves, as cool as those features are, but if you try one out and examine it closely you'll see that a lot of careful shaping, with a gradual palm-side contour and perfect amount of swell results in a master class in how a classic-style r/d longbow grip should be shaped.  I am not alone in this assessment.  I have read many other comments to the effect of "Leon's grips just feel right".  Naturally, like any custom bowyer Leon can work with the customer on any subtle changes or sizing.  I happen to be lucky in that I love his standard grip dearly.  

The only major difference as I have pointed out is that the Lil Slammer is just plain shorter than the other Slammers and the only noticeable effect this has is that you have to be a little more on your game when shooting longer distances with this bow as far as ensuring a good follow through on your shot and keeping a steady hand.  My Elkheart in contrast is a more forgiving in this respect due to quite a bit more deflex in the riser and because of the added mass of the half-phenolic riser and Bow-bolt system.  This Lil Slammer is a 1pc with hardwood riser and boo core limbs, so it is feather light as far as bows go.  I can confirm that if you opted for maple, yew, or osage cores, and perhaps even a Dymondwood riser, the mass weight of this model would increase and some additional stability would result.  And I mean purely inertial stability.  As far as "shot stability", i.e. resistance to string torque, straight limb tracking etc., well the Lil Slammer just like its longer siblings is world-class in that regard.  Slammers are among the most consistent shooting bows I have tried.

Well, I think I have hit the high points here haha, if you want to read more do a Tradgang or Google search on Stewart Slammers in general and the whole time just think SHORTER, LOL.  Read Leon's blurb about the bow on his website, in which he made many similar comments as I have, with my voice in your head going "YUP!"  If you're a treestand hunter or ground hunter who likes to stalk the thick stuff, this "Lil" bow will be your best buddy.  This bow has been added to my list of short bows that have made me love short bows.  I used to be a dyed in the wool "long" longbow guy, but of late I look at my bow rack and have realized that I have gradually become a happy convert.  You just can't beat the Lil guys when it comes to stalking the swamps and tight spots in the woods.

And now...here come the pics!!!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
2014 Leon Stewart Lil Slammer, 56" 51@29, Wenge riser, Carpathian Elm Burl veneers back and belly with Mappa Burl riser overlay on belly, tempered bamboo limb core, sheep horn tips, high gloss finish (to bring out the woods on this one!)

Being that the veneers are so dark on this one, at certain angles when bright light hits it you can indeed catch a view of a strand in the glass, this did show up in a couple of the pics as I took them outside around noon.  This is quite common with the dark veneers, and actually this bow is one of the best results of the dark wood/clear glass combo I have seen, it is nothing short of gorgeous.

52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Did this to "jazz" it up, I like something cool to look at on the belly side  :)

52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Mud_Slide_Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
Luke 10:18-20
>>>---------->

Offline el chupa nibre

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Oh my!!!!....I want one
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline old coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
Now that is a pretty bow.

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
Chuck you always have the best toys.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Originally posted by Scott E:
Chuck you always have the best toys.
LOL, thanks Scott!  They're not toys though- hard hitting whisper quiet hunting weapons   ;)  

This 'Lil' bow is definitely one of my favorite shortbows.  I definitely favor my Elkheart but this bow shares the stable for sure and satisfies in other ways.  I want to stress that there are a bunch of super choices out there when it comes to this style of bow:  offerings from Java Man, Centaur, Big Jim, Shrew, and Hoots and a prolly a few others I haven't thought of.  That group right there is just ace.  As I stated, the cool thing is they are all a little different, so you can really find your flavor.  I just really love this particular bow because its so similar to its larger siblings.

Other bows work well for other purposes but this and other brands work great for the swamp stalkin I do.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
That is SWEET!
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
That is a purty bow, but it's built bakkards!    :bigsmyl:

Offline MountainTool21

• Trad Bowhunter
Great write up 9, thank you

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
X2 what Mountain Tool said.

I always appreciate how you relate your experience with your bows. We favor some of the same bows, though I've only ever shot a handful of bows; hearing from you about the ones I'm drawn to is always great to hear.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Some beautiful veneers there. Congrats.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
Leons bows are works of art AND shoot well!

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
I was hoping to shoot one of his shorties at Denton Hill but work kept me behind and I missed it.  I am thinking of heading up to Leon's shop to try one out.
T ZZZZ

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
That is one gorgeous bow for sure.  Love the woods in her!

Offline chall

• Trad Bowhunter
very nice!
Eric Hall, Chris Hall , Cyndy Hall

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Thanks guys!  Its a bad little mother.  Stupid quiet and gives up zero in speed.  As I said, not quite as easy to shoot as my Elkheart being 1pc and so lightweight, but for what it is its brilliant.  This thing has brush bow written all over it.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©