3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me about gaiters.  (Read 302 times)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Tell me about gaiters.
« on: July 25, 2014, 06:28:00 AM »
I have always worn a rubber boot during the entire deer season. Usually Lacrosse or Muck but the more backpacking I do the more I'm thinking about switching to my Danner hikers for early season and Keen snow boots for late.
That got me thinking about gaiters but it is hard for me to spend money on something I haven't needed in 35 yrs. How many of you guys use them?
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me about gaiters.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 06:39:00 AM »
I have a pair of Sleeping Indian Designs gaiters I bought in WY when I visited the factory there 15 years ago.  I have yet to wear them.  I always them to snow bought I guess they could be worn as an alternative during wet weather.
T ZZZZ

Offline ldhayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 07:01:00 AM »
I really like wearing hiking boots due to their lighter weight and breathability...feet just don't sweat in them like they do in rubber boots. I bought some Kenetrek gaiters a few years back but only started using them about three or four years ago and now wish I'd started using them when I got them. I'll use them in wet grass (I can take them off after the grass dries if need be) and in wet snow. I think they're awesome.

Larry

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 07:08:00 AM »
I wear them often in early season with hiking boots.  Mine are North Face.  Got them on sale at REI.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 07:13:00 AM »
I have worn gaiters for years, with Kenetreks being the ones I have used for the last several years. They are very handy in wet weather, even though they need adjustment often. If you are hunting or hiking in wet stuff, they are a good alternative to rubber boots.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 07:20:00 AM »
OR Crocs

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »
Have worn them for years, both when snowshoeing and general bushwacking, to keep my lower legs dry and a bit warmer.  Best money you can spend for lower leg comfort, whatever else you put on your feet.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »
I love my Kenetrek's!
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
I really like my gaiters.  You can wear lighter pants and keep your lower legs dry without having to wear rain pants or chaps.

There is one exception. They are closed with a HUGE piece of velcro.  I don't like to open velcro when hunting.  As a result, it's almost "on in the morning, off at night".  If you need to re-tie your boots, you have to undo at least some of the velcro which makes a fair bit of seemingly unnatural noise in the woods.

I'd be quite happy to find a pair that had zippers.

YMMV.
homebru

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
The fabric can be purchased to be quiet.  Some are noisy.  They have a place in my gear box for the reasons as abovee
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
Use mine all the time. I use the KUIU brand. Keep you dry and I even use them to cross small streams, just don't stop  ;)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline plentycoupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 06:10:00 PM »
Use mine all the time for wet weather and in the snow.
Alaska is where I started and used a pair of cabelas on two sheep hunts. Awesome
Bought Kenetrek's but but WAY to hot so sold em and went with Kuiu. Wouldn't go with anything else now.

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
Been wearing gaiters for 15 plus years. Especially in deep snow and cold weather. Also worn them slogging through the water in northern michigan swamps.
My legs stay much warmer in the cold weather when wearing gaiters.
OR Crocs are the best. Very durable, and a fantastic warranty/customer service.
Last year, I bought the KUIU, also very nice, quieter then the OR's, plus a camo pattern. My main complaint with the KUIU's is the sizing. I have a large, its hard to get them tight around my "chicken legs"!

chris <><

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
If it doesn't say O(utdoor) R(esearch) Croc(odiles) on the tag, you bought the wrong ones.

A  twenty-year Croc wearer here - that's just two pair, put to hard and regular use. When they fit correctly, you'll stay dry up to the knee while fording creeks, and all day in the snow whatever your activity level. They add a substantial amount of warmth as well in cold conditions. Any supposed advantage to quieter ones takes a back seat to the quality of these gaiters, IMHO.

I used to sell outdoor gear. Every prospective gaiter buyer was told the same thing, regardless of which other brands the store's buyer brought in.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©