3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me about gaiters.  (Read 392 times)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Tell me about gaiters.
« on: July 25, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
I have always worn a rubber boot during the entire deer season. Usually Lacrosse or Muck but the more backpacking I do the more I'm thinking about switching to my Danner hikers for early season and Keen snow boots for late.
That got me thinking about gaiters but it is hard for me to spend money on something I haven't needed in 35 yrs. How many of you guys use them?
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me about gaiters.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »
I am in the same boat as you- never used them forever and always wonder if I need them. The only time I can ever see really needing them is in the snow and even then I don't really need them. I wear tall 12 inch boots in the snow that my pants cover.

Extra weight, noise, hassle, cost. Those points always keep me from spending money on what I don't really need.
Some folks will swear they are a vital piece of attire and can't have a good woods experience without them...
Not me! I don't need them and never have needed them and I am out in all weather and in snow as deep as 30 inches.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
They are toothy critters and there bite hurts.  Don't get near the tail I guess they can hit you pretty hard.  Gaiter bites are good eats though!!!!!

I have a pair of gortex Gaiters and wear them through mud,snow and mud (fall winter and Spring) season.  If you go this route buy a better pair gonna cost 40+ dollars but they will last you.  I love them for snow shoeing or walking in the mud.  They are great at keeping out sticks snow etc of your boots and saving your pants from getting filthy.

You will still get your pants wet if the snow is deep it will just be above the gaiters.   I thing they are a must have.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
Here is a link for them.  Make sure the strap under the boot is leather or a durable materiel for the obvious reasons.  Also make sure the clasp for the upper part isn't just velcro make sure you have some sort of clasp.

http://www.gore-tex.com/product/the-north-face-gore-tex-gaiters/1337459196203/
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
Rob, lots of guys love them.  I only use them mountain lion hunting and am happy to have them in the snow.

I use the Sitka ones.  I have a pair of unworn Kenetrex in Predator Brown I could make you a good deal on if you want to try a pair and not spend $100.

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »
I use them early season when there is heavy dew, and if I'm hunting after a rain -- when it's wet but I'm not wearing waterproof clothing.  I hate getting wet feet and having the bottom of my pants all wet. I wear a lightweight pair of hikers treated with Sno Seal and then gaiters, and I'm good to go in the situations I mentioned.

I picked mine up at Gander Mountain for cheap - no more than I use them, I'm not buying super expensive ones.  But the ones that I have work great.  I've even hunted in shorts a time or two and worn them to keep so much stuff out of my hikers and off my ankles.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »
They're just as bad as crocs  ;)    :goldtooth:    :D
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
I like them in the deep snow, and I like them when there is a real heavy dew on the foliage.  otherwise I don't wear them.

ChuckC

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
For pack-in hunts, especially in the mountains, I think they are a great thing to have in your gear bag.  First of all they are lightweight and pack down to nothing.  They really make a big difference in the wet grass and/or snow and are far more comfortable than wearing any make tall boots all day.  You probably know already that you don't want to truly hike all day in your rubber boots though...  For hunting in the flat lands, where you aren't hiking in very far, then I usually opt for the rubber boots as long as it isn't too cold out when I do finally sit down.  Rubber boots are sweaty and thus you get can get cold in them.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
I have a pair of the Kenetreks and they work very well in the heavy dew of the Cascades. Easy on and off and they are quiet.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
Use only rarely, but their are times they are very useful.  Mine are simple nylon denier.  Not pricy but they work!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
Two threads running on this simultaneously.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=138714

homebru

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
I always wear them. They keep your pants from getting wet in dew or after a rain and most importantly they help keep stick tites and beggars lice of my wool pants.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
I used to only use them snow shoeing but last year I actually remembered to bring them with me elk hunting and it was a real rainy wet day and I wore them and they worked great. Kept water from wicking down into my boots. Don't get the cheapest ones you can find. REI has some real nice ones. Outdoor Research brand are real nice!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
There used to be a company called buckwing that made a gaiter that was pretty perfect for early season hunting.  I haven't seen them for a while and don't know if they are sill around.  It was essentially  a stretchable material like an elbow brace or ankle brace that slipped on over the boot and pant leg.  I don't know how it would hold up in snow, but it is awesome for keeping chiggers, ticks, and briars off of you and it is also great for keeping dew off of you.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
I use them also in snow and when I know I'm walking through heavily dewed or wet grass. I use Kuiu brand. Love them
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 02:27:00 AM »
The OR ones are nice.  noisy though.  not for sneaking around.
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »
I first used them in Newfoundland on a woodland caribou hunt. Water everywhere, so rubber was important. But everywhere there wasn't water, there was gnarly low brush that destroyed footwear, especially rubber boots. There was literally a pile of ripped boots back in camp after the first day. I had gaiters and it did the trick. They took the brunt of the abuse.
When walking in brushy areas with rubber boots, it can be noisy as everything slaps against the rubber. Gaiters quiet things right down.
And as mentioned above, great for snow.
David M. Conroy

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
Never worn them before. I just ordered the Sitka Gear Stormfront. That wet grass/heavy dew issue is something I'd like to resolve short of wearing high-top rubber boots.

The stick tights and beggar ticks go up a lot higher than these gaitors so I don't expect help with that.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
Like Gregg mentioned above, Buckwing used to carry them. When I heard they were going out of business I bought a half dozen pair. They came in camo patterns and were less than $10. Simply a stretchable elastic camo fabric. It's too bad when someone comes out with something functional for a great price they discontinue them. I normally wear pull-on boots because I have a hard time lacing boots without coming up for air. The looser tops of pull-on boots (especally 6"-8" boots)allow sticks, leaves, chiggers, ticks, etc. in. The little gaiters keep all the debris out. I wear them every time I hunt and have for many years. I'm also convinced they'll even keep your foot odor from stove-piping up your pantleg on loose fitting knee-high boots. If you did an internet search on stretchable gaiters maybe you could find a new source. It's too bad Buckwing discontinued them as their little gaiters would be a good side business for someone. bw

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©