3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: straight or helical fletch  (Read 665 times)

Offline oldhunter72*

• Trad Bowhunter
straight or helical fletch
« on: July 25, 2014, 01:11:00 PM »
is there a big difference between them. thanks llk

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: straight or helical fletch
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
For target use, many people prefer straight fletch and small (2-4") fletches, to avoid air drag and loss of arrow speed.  Since their arrows are pretty well tuned, so a bare shaft tipped with a target point will shoot straight out to 30 yards or more, they don't really need much stabilization on the rear end of the arrow.

For hunting with arrows tipped with broadheads, more rear end stabilization is needed, because it doesn't take much for a broadhead to veer off course. Therefore, most hunters prefer helical fletch with 4-5" fletches.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
Yes. Helical is the most accurate fletch arrangement. It is not an opinion it is a fact. Offset is also not helical and offers accuracy inferior to the latter.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
I use a straight JoJan Multi Fletch but offset the feathers a bit. I've never had a problem with accuracy. I'm sure helical is more accurate but off set works well too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
I use 5" helical feathers for the reason McDave stated.
SWA Spyder

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by bigbadjon:
Yes. Helical is the most accurate fletch arrangement. It is not an opinion it is a fact. Offset is also not helical and offers accuracy inferior to the latter.
That is if you get adequate clearance.  I have been a fan of helical fletch for hunting arrows in the past.  I have recently been shooting left offset with great results.  I have also got serious about tuning the bow setup and that may contribute to the lack of need for helical.  

I have read that one of the best arrowsmiths there has been in modern times was named John Dodge.  I understand that he did not understand the need people had to put so much helical in their fletch.

With newer smaller diameter shafts a 5" or 5.5" helical will make it impossible on a 9/32 shaft to get clearance and that kind of rotation is not needed to straighten out the shaft.

Look at the clearance issue.  Most general trad bowhunters benefit from helical fletch, but not sure it is necessarily more accurate.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
Superiority of helical fletching to offset cannot be debated. It is a fact. If shot from a shooting machine it will always group the tightest without exception. If you are not fletching this way you are giving up a substantial margin for error. If your micro diameter will not clear the shelf I would suggest an eleavated rest since you are not opposed to accuracy advancements.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in

Offline alex321

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
Can someone link to an old post that really explains the difference between offset and helical?

With loads of pictures.... I think, we need it in this case...

I know the equation of a helix and understand that offset is simply a straight line from point a to b on the surface of the arrow...  So i think this would be described best as the intersection of a straight plane with a cylinder... However, I cannot think that the difference in the path of the feather along the arrow is very much different between the two... Or atleast not different enough for a simple mechanical jig to accurately perform the different types...

could be wrong...But I have not started drinking the beer yet...

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »
Dragonheart is correct about a possible clearance issue because on a small diameter shaft the feathers will further encompass the outside of the shaft because there is less surface area. On a two degree offset the leading edge will be more inline with the back and give more clearance. We just have different ideas on how to accommodate it.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
I do not shoot micro diameter arrows, just pointing out one issue with Helical being more accurate.  Clearance can negate your gains in more spin.  helical is obviously important you.

Shoot the middle,  

Jeff
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
:wavey:   Double post so I put in a happy wave!
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »
I prefer a right helical offset fletch on all my arrows. The only reason I choose right wing is because right wing feathers are easier to come by here in Louisiana. I feel the helical helps a lot when shooting broadheads even with a bare shaft tuned set up. Then again I shoot large broadheads. To each his own but I have never personally met anyone that didn't like helical fletched hunting arrows.
James Kerr

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
Back in the 60s my friend made me up a dozen DuraFlights with 4.5" fletch done in a straight offset and I killed lots of deer with those arrows.

I shoot 5" helical nowadays but the offsets do work fine.

alex321 in both cases the feather was offset to the left and because the left wing feather has natural curl to it the arrow rotates the same direction as the LW helical but not quite as fast as with a full helical clamp.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
I shoot small straight fletch with a turbulator. It puts my broadheads in very tight groups out to 35 yards. A very different animal than comparing straight fletch traditional fletching to helical.
 Anyway, not trying to start a fight, but tuned hunting tackle is tuned tackle and there are some new ideas out there regarding fletching that are proven and worth checking out.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
I use helical flethcing now all the time but:
For all practical purposes, for example: shots 15 - 25 yrds, I've found , if my bow is tuned to the arrows I'm shooting the helical and straight don't really differ much.  But shoot longer ranges like 30 yrds and up the spinning arrow is much more stable, and hits the target at a better angle hence penetrates better. Also at very short range, the helically fletched stabilizes faster than does straight fletched arrows.  The straight fletched arrows wobble a bit in the first 10 yards, stable out and then begin to wobble again as they loose inertia further into flight.  It's like a smooth bore musket vs. a muzzle loader rifle, both firing a 400 gr  buffalo bullet, at close range there's not much difference, but at 75 yrds there's a world of difference, the spinning bullet makes a much nicer hole.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
I use helical 5", 5.5" and four fletch 4" with a fairly good twist on my Jo Jan Fletcher's. With left wing three fletch for right hand bows, I rotate the nock 1/8 turn counterclockwise to position the hen feather into the corner, for my left hand bows I rotate clockwise 1/8 turn with right wing three fletch. I shoot 1818s, 1918s and tapered cedars.  With cedars I rotate a tacked out nock, hot melt, fletch then rotate the shaft the same to align the nock to the grain.  I have also gone to putting the cock feather in when I shoot non rotated right wing arrows out of my left hand bows, these arrows do not need to be rotated when shooting right wings out of a right hand bow.  This just happens to be the best way I can get my quills to lay flat and still get my arrows spinning the way I like.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 07:37:00 AM »
I prefer helical simply because it works, I'm old and set in my ways.  But it can and is being debated.  There's an Ashby EFOC video where he recommends the smallest straight-fletch you can get by with to minimize weight on the tail end of the arrow.  To each his own...I don't have that much time left...I'm going to spend it hunting and not debating!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©