3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer camp to you.  (Read 690 times)

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer camp to you.
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
My father.  My brother.  Brody.  Jesse.  Ryan.  

These are the people I hunt with, and that, to me is what "hunting camp" is.

Great thread.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
This is a great thread that saddens me. My hunting buddies went there seperate ways. They have there favorite places to hunt or just quit hunting. Some are in search of bigger or more trophies. The worst part is that the majority of them are dead. I started a hunting lodge to rekindle the fire with the spark I have.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
Wallydog,
Enjoyed that very much. For me, deer camp is hunting with my buddies Mudd and Cobweb at Cobwebs cabin. No deer but, that's ok. Deer hunting is about being with my friends.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »
We had a good time up there Butch. Best deer hunting was in a primitive area where the deer drag was always over 3/4 mile.No wheels of any kind were allowed in there. Not even a helper wheel. Nicer yet was there was/is a lake there and crappies thru the ice averaged about 13" long. We'd have venison heart one night and crappie fillets the next.Them boys didnt know how to fry taters right till I showed em. They never had greenbeans cooked down with ham in em either till I got there.
 Best visitor we ever got was a gunsmith from Texas who made beautiful muzzleloaders. One guy in camp ordered a 60 cal from him and then invited him to Northern Wisc deer camp. That poor man like to died in the cold. I mean he had never been in 12" snow and -10..ever. He hunted one morning and was headed back to Texas the next. Said his wife called...hahahahaaaaa.

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
A coworker's brother bought a farm several years back and decided that he couldn't hunt all the stands himself, so he invited 4 of us out to hunt his stands....  

First order of business was 'camp meat'...  Any critter in season that would support an evening meal....  Squirrels were the norm, but every once in  while a doe would walk down the wrong trail.  

When that happened, deer loin with taters were put on the coals to be enjoyed at dark when everyone returned....

Great days and wonderful memories!

God Bless

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
Forgot to mention, we were camped out in an old barn... up in the loft...

no electricity, no phones, no worries!

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
Forgot to mention, we were camped out in an old barn... up in the loft...

no electricity, no phones, no worries!

Rodd
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
I envy these deer camps.

When I was a teen ager the closest deer hunting was 120 miles from home. I enjoyed being a guest of a bunch of veteran archers (1969-1973)who made camp in a school bus.

I've camped when hunting out of state but I simply walk out the door to whitetail hunt.

One of the real treats about out-of-state hunts for me is the time in camp after hunts sharing stories and being on the hunt 24/7.

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
Love these threads....more pics please!

Offline GUYZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
This will be mine fore this year!Click on pic for video.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF FRED BEAR GUIDE OUR ARROWS.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
Some of the fun at our deer camp  has not been during deer season.

Because of the "home on wheels" we searched for the best camp site for a number of years. One year we moved it about 300-400 yards down a trail.  
After deer season we thought it would be fun to hike in and camp for a night.
We had to use a toboggan for supplies and hauled up and down hills through knee high and deeper snow.

We built a nice oak fire and ate a hearty supper before climbing into our toasty beds. Little did we know our wives became worried and insisted another friend hike in the next morning to see if we were still alive! Funny.
It was a great night and morning listening to the Northern MN forest as we drifted in and out of sleep.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
One of the more colorful guys at camp was a real nut job but in mostly a good way. H'd try anything to get a deer. So he brings some doe in heat and empties the bottle on himself. The whole bottle mind you. He sits down on the edge of a swamp and bout half falls asleep. He is awaken by the sound of a pig snorting he says, Close too he says. Looks behind him around the tree and there is a sex crazed Buck giving him the evil eye and snorting like a pig. The buck wasnt even scared by him he says. He as intent on that rich aroma worn by our boy. He had to poke his bow at the Buck and yell to get him back to reality. He wants to get in my truck for the ride home. No says I..no way. He rode in the back (it had a topper) all the way home. The truck bed stunk for a month after I got home.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
This is our deer camp, the "4R".

We used to have a true log shack built with chainsaws and 4wd trucks.  It was the quintessential "hunting shack" where only guys stayed.
  I loved that place and miss it but my brother, Dad, brother-in-law (more of a brother than in-law), and myself went in together on new property and put this up.   4R stands for the four Reilly families and it's become a focal point of our get togethers throughout the year for family and friends.  I feel blessed to be part of it.

Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »
Ron already posted about Shrew Haven. What an awesome privilege. It takes a strange hold on a guy. I drifted away for a couple years....I told Ron I wanted to tramp around out west while I was able. He said go ahead...come back when you are ready.

One year I went to Idaho and didn't go to Shrew Haven....then I went to Wyoming, and although I had a successful and awesome hunt, all the way home I was thinking of the guys getting ready to head up to the UP. I called Ron, and he told me in no uncertain terms to get my rear up to camp. I took vacation I didn't have, and it was worth it. The best guys on earth. I won't miss camp again.

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 09:18:00 PM »
Wow NBK...just Wow!!!

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
Thanks Wally, the credit goes to my brother for ramrodding it made easier by the fact that the carpenter, electrician, and plumber are all guys we grew up playing hockey with and they have permanent access to the fully stocked fridge.      ;)

Best part is that my brother and brother in law are trad guys too.  If my brother can just draw his first blood with his Tall Tines then it will be a real hunting camp.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2014, 11:40:00 PM »
Still has some finishing touches but it is good to go. Just got it up a few weeks ago. 1/2 hrs S of of St Louis. Hope to make some memories...

Cherryville, MO just S of Steelville, Mo on 19. 160 acres of up and down oak, hickory and cedar. Not a soybean or cornstalk with in 30 miles.

Got an outhouse

The shower tree. Haven't figured out winter yet    :)

I feel like Lou Gehrig. I am the luckiest man in the world.....

100 yds from the cabin

When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 11:56:00 PM »
100 yds from the cabin

I have three springs on the place

When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2014, 07:12:00 AM »
I have a new version starting this fall.  It is a 100 acres and has a 450 sq. ft. "primitive" cabin on it.  Lights come from a car battery/inverter setup and the well is run off a generator.  There are some nice rolling oak hills and I am working on plots.  I have 8 small ones I will plant this weekend and another I am opening up.  I have planted some fruit trees and more will come.  My brother and a nephew will be the first camp members, but I hope many friends will enjoy it too.

D.P.

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
Wayyyy nice John and Dave. Our place looks like a train wreck next to these camps. Obviously you fellas have a good deer herd up where your at. Our camp is all but closed due to low deer numbers for the last 5 yrs or so. Its been real bad for 2 though. The introduction of the wolf has put the hurt on us.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©