3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snake Gaiters  (Read 472 times)

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Snake Gaiters
« on: July 26, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
I've noticed that most the snake gaiters/chaps dont cover the top of the foot, toe area.
Seems that would be a problem if you're struck in that area. Do any of you prefer the Gaiters over snake boots?

Thanks

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snake Gaiters
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 11:19:00 PM »
I purchased TurtleSkin Snake Gaiters a few years back. Expensive but I really like them. Light weight, camo, easy on/off but I don't know of any gaiter that totally covers the toe area.

I use these Gaiters over my LaCrosse Diamondback Snake boots. These boots are light and offer good coverage.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 12:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by joe skipp:
I purchased TurtleSkin Snake Gaiters a few years back. Expensive but I really like them. Light weight, camo, easy on/off but I don't know of any gaiter that totally covers the toe area.

I use these Gaiters over my LaCrosse Diamondback Snake boots. These boots are light and offer good coverage.
Do you mean Lacrosse or Bogs Diamondback boots?

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 12:52:00 AM »
LaCrosse...bought them in 1997.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 06:53:00 AM »
I prefer a good snake boot. One of my dads coworkers got bit by a cottonmouth on the toe. Ever since then I have lost faith in gaiters. I wear Danner Jackal boots. They are light and wear like tennis shoes. They do get a little hot in hot weather.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. If I get a boot it will have to be waterproof.
The Bogs Diamondback's are expensive but have good reviews.

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
I've often wondered, out of our thousands of brothers and sisters, how many have had a snake strike at them or actually bite them?
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by achigan:
I've often wondered, out of our thousands of brothers and sisters, how many have had a snake strike at them or actually bite them?
There's not that many snake bites per year, dont know the statistics. I know it's a possibility where I hunt in the thick wet area I hunt.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
Snake boots and gaiters are clever marketing to feed your paranoia and fear, and take your outdoor dollar.

Do the research...

There are, on average 8000 venomous snakebites in the US annually.  There have been a total of 14 people die of snakebite since 2000; two of which were 'religious snake handlers' in WV and KY. Only a total of 28 deaths since the year 1900.

If you keep your senses alert, and your eyes open while you hunt or walk the woods; and if you don't do stupid things like step over logs rather than stepping up on them and looking before you step down, chances are you'll not get bitten.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by KenH:
Snake boots and gaiters are clever marketing to feed your paranoia and fear, and take your outdoor dollar.

Do the research...

There are, on average 8000 venomous snakebites in the US annually.  There have been a total of 14 people die of snakebite since 2000; two of which were 'religious snake handlers' in WV and KY. Only a total of 28 deaths since the year 1900.

If you keep your senses alert, and your eyes open while you hunt or walk the woods; and if you don't do stupid things like step over logs rather than stepping up on them and looking before you step down, chances are you'll not get bitten.
Great advice for sure. But, I figure if I do get bit I want to have protection..guess it's the same with safety harnesses. If you do fall it's better to have a safeguard.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
I can't argue with those numbers and I don't personally worry too much about snakes as I've handled venomous snakes for over 50 years,but even those who survive can have long lasting complications and the cost of treatment these days can be $160,000 and up.It is a serious deal that no one wants to go through.

A gentleman not far from me had a horse get bitten recently,after spending a lot of time and money getting it trained.The prognosis is that he may never be able to ride it.What would a bite like that do to a man?

I don't wear anything special to ward off snakes but if chaps or boots give a person peace of mind,I see some value in that.

For most snakes in the US,except for the big diamondbacks,a 10" leather boot with the pant leg over it,is good protection.

I picked up this guy in June,while bowhunting for bears and got another one yesterday while checking cameras.

Offline Sharp Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
I just purchased a pair of snake boots from BPS.
I read too many things about snake chaps being too hot and uncomfortable.  If you decide on boots, make sure to get some with zippers.  Much easier to get on and off.
PBS Associate Member
Lone Star Bow Hunters Association

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
Many of the snakes that bite people were being handled by those same people. I know three who have been bitten; copperhead (handling it), cobra (handling it), and prairie rattler accidental non-handling.

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »
I hunt a lot of thick wet terrain, water moccassins, some rattle snakes.
Non poisinous snakes are not an issue.
I value my health and my family's. I think I'm going with the Lacrosse Alpha Mudlite Snakeboot 18".
Folks do get bit that are not messing with the snake.
I figure it's better to be safe than sorry

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
The best swamper I know Robert Carter (RC) wears snake boots when he hunts which is 3 or 4 times more then the average guy because of snakes. Enough said.
lll

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
...and you have heard RC state many times.."If you hunt with me, you better have Snake boots or you stay in the truck."    :thumbsup:

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
I don't for one second believe that cautious walking will protect from snake bite! Several years ago I stepped right on top of a copperhead, and I have always considered self very careful. The only reason I wasn't bitten was that I stepped so close to his head he could not get to me.

I used to wear chaps, but they were hot and noisy. I now use snake boots, still hot, but at least they are not noisy.

Next to my bow and quiver, my snake boots are the most crucial bit of gear I take hunting.
Sam

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »

Do the research...

I gladly spent some of my "outdoor" money for peace of mind and protection. A friend of mine was hit in the calf by a timber rattler and it left a  baseball size bruise on him. He was wearing snake boots so he didn't get the poison.
I sometimes walk up to 3 miles from my truck on public land and I don't like the odds of having to walk out that far if I got bit. I don't fear snakes but I do respect them. They can do some damage and even disfigure you.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by cahaba:

Do the research...

I gladly spent some of my "outdoor" money for peace of mind and protection. A friend of mine was hit in the calf by a timber rattler and it left a  baseball size bruise on him. He was wearing snake boots so he didn't get the poison.
I sometimes walk up to 3 miles from my truck on public land and I don't like the odds of having to walk out that far if I got bit. I don't fear snakes but I do respect them. They can do some damage and even disfigure you. [/b]
Yep. Kinda like body armor for a police officer.
He may not ever need it but it's better to have it on if he takes a round from a thug.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
I think the chances of getting snake bit really depends on the area you live. Here in south Bama in some areas they are thick.We usually kill 6 or more every year just in our yard.I have been bit about 8 times.I NEVER play with live snakes and it gives me the full body shivers to even think about that. Two of the times i was bit were by ground rattlers in my drive way that i stepped on going to the car.My son was bit on the foot in our drive also. Twice i was bit by mocs while wadeing around ponds fishing and another moc when i stepped out of a boat by a fishing stringer with some catfish on it that someone had left.Once by a copperhead when stepping out of my jeep in tall grass and once by a rattler that got me high on the back of my upper leg,almost on my arse cheek , while i was squatted down picking blackberries in a brush pile.Another while i was looking for some angle iron at a local scrap yard.I do skin a lot of snakes for the hides, and twice i got sick just from the poison that got on my skin. If the snakes head has been smashed or shot the poison is often all over it.This happened to a friend of mine too and he got pretty sick from it. I now wear rubber gloves when i skin poison snakes. One of the mocs i stepped on while wade fishing i actually had to pull a broke off fang from under one of my toes.My son goes frogging by a creek in Baldwin Co. and he says the mocs are so thick in the woods along the creek that you cant walk 20 yards without seeing at least 6 of them.The often read thing about snakes crawling away from you is pretty much not true here. Copperheads seem to rely on their natural camo and will usually just lay very still but are so well camoed you more than likely will not see them even if your looking.Rattlers i think, do crawl off most of the time when they since you comeing but my also just lay there hopeing you will not see them. Now the Mocs,,they are firm belivers in the hold your ground laws,they are mean , nasty, and truly the curse of the south.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©