3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: - Tell me about your FOX Triple Crown please! -  (Read 482 times)

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
- Tell me about your FOX Triple Crown please! -
« on: July 27, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »
Hi,

I am strongly considering ordering a true custom, 3D target/field/IBO longbow.  Not competing yet but would like to some in the future as I continue to improve and further my traditional archery journey!

Some research and talk with Ron King says the Triple Crown may be the one    :thumbsup:

So what do you think?  What is your preferences or recommendation?  What is your preferred specs and weight for targets or any other info you can think of?  Do you have or would you get half Micarta riser for added weight?  Do you have or would you get Carbon in limbs for a few extra feet per second?    :archer2:
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: - Tell me about your FOX Triple Crown please! -
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
First of all, how about some pics...

Ron King is a true artisan, the fit/finish/woods used on this bow are among the very best I have ever seen.  Fox is definitely top shelf.

Fox Triple Crown Carbon 68" 43@30 (about 40@29 for me). Zebrawood riser with Yew accent stripe, Yew and bamboo core, carbon backed, with a Yew veneer over the carbon under clear glass, black Micarta limb tip overlays, gloss finish.  The bow is a work of art.

52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
And some more...

52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
I am the second owner of this bow.  I had lusted after a Triple Crown for a long time and got lucky enough to work a deal on one not too far back.  It is one of the sweetest shooting bows I have owned.  You just don't have to think about anything.  Just hold it and shoot it.  Just butter smooth on the draw, very quick for the weight, has no problem shooting 10gpp quick and flat.  The combo of a recurve style grip and longbow limbs just means you don't have to think about anything but your form and release and focus on the shot.  The carbon isn't really there for added speed, most times carbon isn't capable of adding more than a few fps..the real purpose is to add torsional stability to the limbs.  The bow is whisper quiet with a well made string and silencers.  I have shot it with a bare string and there is the slightest twang but that is it.  Add wool puffs or whiskers and you're talking hunting quiet.  Very well balanced with a 24" riser section for stability.  If you study the pic I posted you'll see that the extended shelf helps balance the bow so you can shoot it with an extremely light grip.  Ron put A LOT of thought into designing this bow.  Mine is all Zebrawood so it is relatively light weight for the size and length but heavy enough to be very stable, I can only imagine adding 1/2 Micarta or full Micarta would enhance these properties to a new level.  Champion shooter Larry Yien (seen working his magic in Master of the Barebow) has been known to use a full Micarta version.

As a counterpoint, yes there are the 21st Century bows, which are in the same class as this bow FUNCTIONALLY.  I have owned a 70" Lonestar Carbon and that was an outstanding shooting bow as well, though not dead in the hand like the TC because of a thinner riser and wider limbs.  The 21st could easily hold its own with this bow, and some might argue it is more close to a true 'longbow' because of the lower more longbow-like grip.  To be fair, more tournaments have been won with 21st bows than the Triple Crown, BUT I think that will change as the 21st designs have been around longer while the TC has only been around a handful of years, AND I think the word will get out about these Fox bows and people will realize that though the entry price is higher, the quality is simply leaps and bounds above the 21st bows currently being made.

I hate to say this, but put the two bows side by side to compare fit/finish and the Fox will seem like an AMG Mercedes whereas the 21st (current production) will seem like well, a retired police cruiser.  Again, to be fair, I will stress that the 21st bows shoot 'lights out' and are several hundred $ cheaper..BUT frankly, life is short and me personally??  I'd rather have the Benz any day if I had a choice.

Frankly when I ogle this bow and shoot it I think "eat your heart out Robin Hood".  Said with some irony and tease at the other make I mentioned, the Triple Crown is a 21st Century interpretation of the longbow.  I snagged this TC with the goal of working on my form and aiming skills and to apply them to my shorter hunting bows, but honestly I can hear this bow just whispering begging me to take it deer hunting someday.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
Oh and Jack, I would talk to Ron some more and get some advice on bow length.  Its my opinion this and similar designs just shine the longer you go, if you're already thinking 64-66 I would definitely vote for 66" but hey even 68" might work?  I love mine!  ;)
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
Great info!  I just knew I would be hearing from nineworlds9 when I started this thread.   ;)   It was begging for his input.  Glad he did with great info and pics.

Anyone else???
Hill Country Bows - RER

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 06:04:00 AM »
I have bought and sold and traded so many bows over the last 20yrs, that I have lost count.  However, there is one bow that stands above all the rest that I REALLY regret selling and that was my Royal Crown.   By far the most beautiful workmanship of ANY bow I have ever had.  I begged and threatened and bribed the guy who bought it off me - for several years - but he would never sell it back.  He had it sitting in his shop as a 'masterpiece' and said it was too good to shoot - which made it even worse for me.

I love my Predator Impact now and will never buy another bow, but out of all of the bows over all those years (would be around 25 bows), my Royal Crown stands head and shoulders above them all for quietness, hit where you look and superb craftsmanship.  Something about the fit in the hand and feel of it, it seemed as if it came with a special magic attached.

I have tried to order another over the years but the Australian dollar is weak now and with increased postage and insurance, just too expensive.  Even though I always lament selling this beautiful bow, it will always live in my memories as the most special one of them all.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »
Chuck Thanks for posting the pics. that is some zebra wood there nice bow.

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »

This is my T/C

Grouse

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »

Here are a couple more pictures.

The bow is 64" and 51@28". The woods are zebra and rosewood in the riser and the limbs are red elm with the carbon lam.

Grouse

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
TTT

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
Thanks nineworls9, grouseshooter002 and suttoman.  Let me take a guess; Zebrawood and Rosewood riser with red elm limb??

Placing my order tomorrow by mail. 66" and 38 lbs @ 29". RH, low grip with riser being half micarta on target side and Cocobolo on belly side. Yew limb core so yew showing on belly and carbon lamination showing on back under clear glass.  Fade outs on back and belly to be combo of black, yew and Cocobolo. Micarta tips.  

I think it adds up to good looking but most importantly heavy riser, long and stable plus easy on the shoulder.

Still interested in other wood choices, specs, pics or insights.  Thanks a lot!!     :archer:
Hill Country Bows - RER

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jack Hoyt 75:
Thanks nineworls9, grouseshooter002 and suttoman.  Let me take a guess; Zebrawood and Rosewood riser with red elm limb??

Placing my order tomorrow by mail. 66" and 38 lbs @ 29". RH, low grip with riser being half micarta on target side and Cocobolo on belly side. Yew limb core so yew showing on belly and carbon lamination showing on back under clear glass.  Fade outs on back and belly to be combo of black, yew and Cocobolo. Micarta tips.  

I think it adds up to good looking but most importantly heavy riser, long and stable plus easy on the shoulder.

Still interested in other wood choices, specs, pics or insights.  Thanks a lot!!      :archer:  
I would just grab the one in stock!

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 12:57:00 AM »
mine is 68 " 49@ 28 I draw 30 and hunt with it hands down the best bow I ever shot . and I shot a few
The older I get the better I was

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
Jack I like the sound of your order.  That bow is going to be sharp!!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »
I have been looking at them for sometime. I got one on the way. it is a triple crown 66" 38# @28" I draw 29". riser is purple heart and zebra wood. the limbs are stained bamboo

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 08:05:00 AM »
Cecil-    :thumbsup:
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
I got my bow yesterday I am liking it very smooth bow. I am working on getting some arrows dialed in. wish I could do pics. but I cannot figure it out.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
Cecil email all your pics to [email protected] and I will post them  ;)

You need to open a Photobucket account, upload them and then go to the "get links" box or tab and click to copy the image link.  You want to use the last link on the list that uses the [URL] prefix.  

Email me your pics.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by rraming:
I would just grab the one in stock! [/b]

Looks like Cecil already did!!  Nice bow, I saw pics of it on Fox's website, NICE!     :thumbsup:    

I made a last minute change on my order and went with 68".  Figure longer the better.  I went with yew limbs since Ron has 6' pieces now and can do the whole length of bow in one piece of yew.  Tick Tock, Tick Tock ...well worth the wait!
Hill Country Bows - RER

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©