3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ekin built Hill bows  (Read 363 times)

Offline Gula

• Trad Bowhunter
Ekin built Hill bows
« on: August 04, 2014, 05:09:00 PM »
Hello,
What is your opinion of Greg's bows over the last three decades. Have they changed much? Do you think  he built a better bow in the 80´s or are they better now or maybe the same? I'm a big fan of his work. All the bows I've shot have been constructed in the last few years. Would the same model thirty years ago be the same today? Thanks
Gula

Offline Gula

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ekin built Hill bows
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
Duh I ment Craig Ekin
Gula

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 05:32:00 PM »
I've had/have a bunch of them, and don't find fault with any. I've had a few of his older bows, and the limb design really didn't seem to differ much, but where I saw the biggest difference was fade to grip size and shape. Seems his grips have become a little smaller and narrower over the years.
I love my Hills, and Craig is an awesome individual to work with. Patient as an oyster.
I've sold a few (a couple I'd like to have back), but only to raise cash, or because I needed or wanted a different weight or lengths. Never through dissatisfaction.
You certainly can't beat his turn around time. You won't be disappointed.

Tim
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
he builds a very good bow I have had several and was not disappointed.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
he builds a very good bow I have had several and was not disappointed.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline treepasser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
Beware of those bows, they will dominate the
herd. I now have five and my other bows just collect dust.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 11:46:00 PM »
Craig's bows have changed very little over the years. Why change perfection? I own seven of his bows and can truly say he is a pleasure to work with. Just saw and had the opportunity to shoot a 1993 "Half Breed" made by Craig. Two Lams of Osage and a lam of bamboo. I believe Craig is now calling his Osage model the "Crocodile".  Today's  "Half Breed" has 2 lams of bamboo with yew on the back and belly of the bow. The riser on the 1993 bow was shaped a little differently then the bows Craig builds today. I'll try to get "Ric O'Shay" to post a picture of his 1993
Half Breed". Its a nice one.    :campfire:

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 07:54:00 AM »
Here ya' go Bill and Gula.

Other than the points noted by Bill in the above post, the main difference is in the shelf area. The side plate and sight window is much shorter and rounded. The current ones from Craig extend higher into the riser fade out.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
I own several bows built by Craig, and I like them a lot. I shoot my Hills almost exclusively.
Sam

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
Beauty Ric...love it!

Kris

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
I have owned several of Craigs bows over the last 30 years.  I will say that the bows all shot well and point of aim for me.  The grip shapes were definitely different with the bows made in the 80's.  The standard grip area was about 1/4" longer in the grip and if not specified, you got a slightly dished style with a tear drop shape to them typical of many of the Shulz bows, very comfortable.  The standard finish during this period was a glossy varnish type finish that was subject to checking after extended use.  John Shulz must have used the same brand of finish since his Trophy Hunter had the same appearance, along with the finish checking on the limbs after extended use.  The current finish is more epoxy like and the gloss polished out, matte finish.  The grip length of the current models are shorter. The first bow on the left is  a 2000's vintage, the second 80's vintage, refinished by Craig about 10 years ago.  This 65# was my primary shooter for about 15 years. The  next 4 are Craigs bows of various years.  The rest are various models made by others ranging to a Hill(himself) made bow in the early 50's, the last bow on the right. I have Hill bows made by almost all the makers.and will have to say they are all nice shooters and very nicely finished.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
Craig's bows are " like going home "   :notworthy:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »
Great bow at a great price. I have also had many.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©