3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: YES! Finally sharpened a Grizzly!  (Read 277 times)

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
YES! Finally sharpened a Grizzly!
« on: September 25, 2007, 12:13:00 AM »
Finally! LOL I have never been able to get a shaving edge on a Grizzly broadhead. I've tried various methods with no success. FINALLY found one that works like a charm! Easy as anything I've ever sharpened too, now that I have the hang of it!
I just file the bevel down to a flatter angle and hit the burr off the opposite side. I can see a little, TINY bevel on the opposite side, I literally have to look hard to see it, but it is there. This allows me to take the burr off the opposite side. When you're done with this process, the head should bite into your fingernail without sliding. They also are able to shave at this point.
When that's done, all I do is take it to my RazorSharp Edgemaking System (a set of paper wheels mounted on a grinder), I ONLY use the smooth, finishing side. I get the correct angle (this is where it might take some practice) and rock it back and forth a few times. I ONLY do this on the bevel, not on the opposite side where I knocked the burr off. It only takes a few strokes. At this point the Grizzly was RAZOR sharp. You can imagine my surprise! I thought I'd never get one of these babies sharp! I'll make a video or picture tutorial if you guys want, but if not, hopefully this helps you guys who are still trying to figure the process out.
Just wanted to share my elation!
LOL
Craig

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: YES! Finally sharpened a Grizzly!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
Nothing like the feeling when the light finally comes on eh.   :thumbsup:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 12:33:00 AM »
I was really surprised when I pulled that thing off the wheel...It only took a few strokes, the process was real easy IMO. I was beginning to doubt that these things even got that sharp. I am REALLY picky about how sharp my broadheads are, and I've been able to sharpen every other broadhead I've tried that I can think of. Heck, sometimes my dad will say "Craig, it's sharp enough, now go get your other stuff ready!" LOL     :biglaugh:    Feels good now that I've figured 'er out!

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
Hi Craig, you are exactly right that will work well.  The method is about identical to the tutorial we already have on our site.  I put it up so guys who were having trouble with the files (and there are many) could have another shot at the Grizzly.

http://www.braveheartarchery.us/new_page_10.htm

The tutorial shows a redi-edge, the paper wheels you described would also work.  An accu-sharp or Smith's broadhead sharpener will also do it, especially if you use it front to back then take the tiny burr off back to front.

The key is the tiny "second bevel" on the flat side, it's not really much of a bevel it amounts to not much more than taking off the paint.

Good job!  It does feel good when a head that's been giving you fits is finally mastered.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline jon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »
I use a set of paper sharpening wheels from Grizzly tool company as recommended by Dennis Kamstra the "Old Timer" in Traditional Bowhunter magazine. Prior to that, I had all but given up on them. The only problem is that it's hard to carry a bench grinder in your pack. Kind of heavy. So I take extra broadheads with me(I use screw in inserts).

Jon

Offline Jeff U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
The "KME broadhead sharpener" works very well.  You can get one from 3Rivers.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=7257

I sent an email to KME with a question about the sharpening angle and got the following response:

Jeff,

Thanks for writing. I'm glad to hear that the sharpener is working well for you.

The sharpening angle will vary from broadhead to broadhead but will be in the 23 - 27 degree range.

I have found that the best way to sharpen a Grizzly is to work the factory bevel until uniformly ground/polished from end to end. Then begin a series of single, forward strokes on the stone, flipping the head between each pass. This will create a micro bevel on the unbeveled side. You will see a very fine line about 1/64" wide where the paint has been removed.

We use this technique at shows and people are amazed at how sharp you can get a Grizzly.

Thanks again and don't hesitate to write or call if you have any other questions.

Ron Swartz
KME Sharpeners

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©