3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Well, I made my first quiver.  (Read 555 times)

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
Well, I made my first quiver.
« on: August 06, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
Bud B's thread on the St. Jude Auction build along inspired me to make my own. So I followed his great directions and built one of my own. It's also my first leather project other than little things like grips. I'm quite happy with the way it turned out. I still need to color it and seal it. I was thinking of just giving it a good coat of SnoSeal, I've used it on some boots and like the way they turned out. I need to reapply it to my boots anyways. I'll just buy a bigger can.

Here are some pictures of my quiver.

My arrows are a bit long but that's alright. I'll get used to it or eventually get shorter ones.

So, What do y'all think?    

I know I probably should have dyed it before I punched out the holes but I didn't have a good color available. I'm hoping the SnoSeal will give it a good color. I'll coat it inside and out.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Well, I made my first quiver.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
For a first that is darn good, once you darken it you will be happy  with it...I have a feelin this will not be your last...

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
I think it looks just fine, will be even better, cosmetically, with the SnoSeal. Should fit nicely also, with the strap placement.
How long is it?

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by slowbowjoe:
I think it looks just fine, will be even better, cosmetically, with the SnoSeal. Should fit nicely also, with the strap placement.
How long is it?
Inside it's 22" on the dot! I cut it to 24x19" and figured I'd just roll the top more or less to make it fit. Turns out that gave me exactly 22".
I did make a rather funny mistake. I punched 35 holes on the bottom of the body. I punched 34 holes on the bottom piece. So I ended up using one hole twice. Can't really tell though, you'd have to be really close and nit picky to tell. It does bug me a little though. lol
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
Great looking, congrats.

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
.........Looks great & functional  to me .
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
Very well done.      :thumbsup:    

That quiver will serve you well for a whole lot of years. Pitch Blend Oil available from Kustom King works well, and will give that leather a great color.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
I'm heading out tomorrow to look for SnoSeal, Pitch Blend, or something I can use. Hopefully I wont have to order it again. Although, I can get a 7oz can of SnoSeal for $10 shipped.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
Man! I like it!
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
Pure Olive Oil from the dollar store will work with a sno-seal final covering or two. Looking mighty good!

Glad to see the build along paying off for some fellow tradgangers  ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 09:51:00 PM »
It's a beauty! I made one similar but a lot rougher looking with the hide from my first traditional killed deer. I kept the hair on, on the inside of the quiver to quiet arrows and it works well

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
Fine job!!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline locohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »
love it.  gonna copy that.
60" RER XR
57# 28
52#  AT MY DRAW

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
Pure Olive Oil from the dollar store will work with a sno-seal final covering or two. Looking mighty good!

Glad to see the build along paying off for some fellow tradgangers   ;)  
How do I use Olive oil? Just rub it in until it won't take anymore?
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
Noooo.    :scared:    :eek:    Get too much and you'll have it transfer back to your clothes. Maybe 3-4 coats with a cheap paint brush. Set in direct sunlight to let it soak in. Work the leather between each coat, gradually getting more flexing in.

Were you going to try the wet forming first?

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
Better to use several lite coats than one heavy one huh? Thanks for the heads up. Like I said this is my first leather project. I didn't know if it was like SnoSeal and you just warm the leather, apply until it won't take any more then wipe off the excess. Any other tips I should know about before I make a mess?
What does leather look like with olive oil treatment?

Wet forming?? Do I need to wet form this? I thought that the breaking in process would form it.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
From the build along, page 4:

Originally posted by Bud B.:
Forgot to cover the treating...sorry.

Treating the leather:

If the leather is "green" (untreated) vegetable tanned leather, then I like to wet form the quiver before adding any oils.

Wet forming is just what it sounds like. Wet the quiver, not a dripping soak, or a light rub of a damp cloth, but wet it so it's pliable. Wear it when pliable to get the shape you want and use your hands if necessary to form it to your needs. Be careful not to crease the sides where the body begins to collapse, but rather allow the body to collapse with a nice rolled over transition from front to back.

Let dry completely.

When dry, treat it with your favorite leather treatment

Mink Oil paste
Montana Pitch Blend
Neetsfoot oil
Fiebing's Aussie Conditioner with bee's wax (what I use mostly)
Pure Olive Oil

Basically anything that does not have petroleum distillates in it, such as Neetsfoot Compound.

Treat it and flex it. Let the treatment soak in.
Repeat/treat/flex until the desired look/feel is reached. The more treatment you put on it, the darker the leather will get. You can do too much. If you do too much, the treatment will transfer to your clothing easily.

You can also treat after cutting out your leather parts but prior to punching any holes on your leather. Then after you get the desired soak of treatment, punch the holes and assemble. Treating with punched holes can allow the treatment to soak into the holes more so than the leather surface of the body. It can look splotchy.

I use a cheap paint brush to apply the oil/treatment. Sometimes I use my bare hands.

This is where my wife gets upset occasionally. The kitchen table gets oiled alot. Use old towels as a work surface, if possible, on top of your workbench, countertop, table. Keep the wife happy.

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »
Completely forgot about that. Duh! Sometimes my stupid switch gets stuck in the on position. lol
Thanks! I'll do that tomorrow. I'll try oiling some scrap pieces before I do the actual quiver as well.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Azwatasha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 12:14:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Baseball, Hotdogs, Apple pie and Bear Kodiaks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©