3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are we really this far behind?  (Read 799 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Are we really this far behind?
« on: August 07, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
I saw this comment on a thread that was pulled, and it really bothered me...

"And why is shooting an arrow into a target any different than shooting an arrow into an animal."

Are we really this far behind that we are not passing along REAL information that's 'Bowhunting 101' to the new 'generation/converts'???

This comment was in the middle of page two of a 3 page thread and no one addressed this comment.

Are we as trad bowhunters also falling into the way of the complacent world?...if so, God help us.

I know the title of the thread didn't draw many that I know who WOULD have addressed this comment, but still.

He also went on to end with yet another mind blowing comment....that he had made is choice of a certain piece of equipment based not on performance but purely on 'looks'.

Where are we going as bowhunters and who's going to allow us to go there?  Or, where are we headed and who's NOT going to let us go there???

Just venting over the shock I got from that comment.....          :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are we really this far behind?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
It is extremely important for people who are new to the sport to find a good mentor. Trad hunters and shooters have to police each other so we can learn and improve.

Nothing wrong with venting.....

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »
Vent away....

Your comments are extremely valid and noted.  Everyone here should be aware.  Thanks for the reminder.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
I recently started a thread about the International Bowhunter Education Program on another site...I believe it is programs like this that promote an orderly and ethical approach to bowhunting that many new people to our sport ought to have access to...maybe we, as the old guard of ethical hunting, ought to be doing more to promote that program or others like it

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
Comments that will undoubtedly be repeated in time.

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »
I know what you mean Terry. Obviously shooting a target is different than shooting a live animal. For shooting targets accuracy and forgiveness is the only thing that matters. When hunting you have to consider broadhead flight, accuracy, forgiveness, and penetration.

I do get where the poster is coming from though. It may have been an over simplified statement that could be interpreted the wrong way. I think what they meant is that in both hunting and target archery the goal is to put the arrow where you want it(kill zone or 10 ring). And as we always say on this site a well placed arrow and a sharp broadhead is the most important thing.

As far as target archery and bowhunting is concerned:

Bowhunters can learn a lot from target archers and vice versa.

I think a lot of bowhunters are starting to enjoy the sport of archery in the off season. Which is great because their accuracy will improve with the year round practice. Many of them are looking for setups that will work for their off season pursuits as well as in the woods.

This can get dangerous because arrows less than 9gpp might be ideal for field archery or 3D they are less than ideal for bowhunting. But I think most bowhunters turned target archers know the difference between a good target arrow and a good hunting arrow.

As Terry has sated above I am worried about the new bowhunters who think a 300 grain arrow is good for bowhunting. There is an archery DVD with two great archers and they advocate using light arrows for hunting. That's the kind of thing that makes me shake my head because a new person would just accept that as the truth.

For all you newbies reading this:

If you are shooting targets in the off season just to practice for hunting you might as well practice like you hunt and use your hunting arrows.

If you want to win tournaments and are serious about hunting you need to invest in two setups.

Sorry for the long post
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
What is archery coming too . I saw on a TV hunting show the Hunter explaining that a gut shoot with a expandibeal broadhead was a good shot and one he tyres for . ???????

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
We, as experienced hunters, need to be advocates for what we all call "hunting ethics." And we need to NOT take those ethics for granted. An animal that we are hunting is not just a target, it is a living, breathing creature. In the ultimate culmination of our hunting effort, that animal might die as the result of our hunt. When we engage in hunting, we take on a responsibility to conduct ourselves in a manner that is respectful of the life we might take and the clean kill we hope to make. All of us experienced hunters know that, and we need to pass that on to the next generation. Let's not take the ethical part of hunting for granted. Let's talk about it, and practice it for others to see.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
I never saw the original thread and don't know what the original topic was or context that comment was made in. Maybe it was appropriate to the topic or point he was trying to make or maybe it was taken out of context. Of course maybe it wasn't and was in fact inappropriate. I don't know. That's one of the problems with the internet, social media, etc. It's real easy to get off track.

As far as the second comment, LOTS of people buy stuff based on looks and not performance, especially trad bows. It's human nature unfortunately. I don't know what the equipment was but hope it wasn't something crucially performance based like a broadhead

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
Anyone hunting yet?     :rolleyes:   Its another one of those points in the year where fellers are experiencing downtime doldrums. Lets get out there and learn from  the real  teachers, the animals.    :campfire:

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Scott E:

As Terry has sated above I am worried about the new bowhunters who think a 300 grain arrow is good for bowhunting. There is an archery DVD with two great archers and they advocate using light arrows for hunting. That's the kind of thing that makes me shake my head because a new person would just accept that as the truth.

For all you newbies reading this:

If you are shooting targets in the off season just to practice for hunting you might as well practice like you hunt and use your hunting arrows.

If you want to win tournaments and are serious about hunting you need to invest in two setups.

Sorry for the long post
Very true. I see this in many shooting disciplines. What starts out as an idea for "practice" or what ever you want to call it for some real life scenario or whatever turns in to such a game that it no longer has anything like that benefit. I treat 3D as practice and nothing more. I don't bother to keep score, I know what I did right and what mistakes I made during a course.
SWA Spyder

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
Terry - You are right on however its the society we live in today. For example start a conversation on any forum about technology and its impact on the archery seasons across the US. What most people say "We'll its legal to use so what is the problem?" or the one that gets me is "We are all hunters and need to stand together". I beg to differ... when something that could impact the archery season we should call it out and stop being so politically correct.

Ron

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
Being a bowhunter takes a whole different set of skills and mindset from target archery in my book. They have the bow in common sure, but to me target archery is "civilized bowhunting" at best. Whether we like it or not the videos, dvd's, tv shows have an effect on our bowhunting culture/mindset. There is a lot of money in making us want the newest gadget.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »
Spot on Terry - I just deleted a long typed response here - but I will say this... the ethics we see portrayed on TV by the so called "stars" of bowhunting leave A LOT to be desired.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
I agree and I'm generally dismayed at the plethora of posts about  "the new bow just arrived" and all the comments are about how good it looks.

I care not a bit about a bows looks, it's a tool to be used for hunting. Target shooting with it is just to make sure I can hit what I'm hunting and in the most accurate and ethical way that I'm able to.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by RIng:
What is archery coming too . I saw on a TV hunting show the Hunter explaining that a gut shoot with a expandibeal broadhead was a good shot and one he tyres for . ???????
I can't hardly stand to watch them anymore. I had to turn one show off when the says "good shot" after clearly making a gut shot.    :mad:
SWA Spyder

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
Terry.... yes, some folks are.  We talked of this before.  

A core group of experienced bowhunters put in the time and effort to learn and know quite a bit about the sport.  But there are still many who really don't know, or why. Often they learned by reading and by watching videos only.

We need to teach them.  We need to think about them in what we say and how we say it.  

Example. .  shots on game. We have had this discussion here as well over the years.

Yeah, sure, you can kill an animal hitting it nearly anywhere, with luck and with time.  Often a LOT of time.  But to espouse tough shots as OK on a site like this is not a good idea.  

Newbies read what we say and take it for gospel.  Because YOU are able to do something does not mean everybody is able.  And frankly. . . well, its time to shut up.

Yup, you are correct in your assumption Terry.
ChuckC

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by RIng:
That wasn't a hunting show, it was a killing show.  I wouldn't watch a program with that killer in it again.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
Astoundingly well said, Chuck.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »
Terry,
   Guilty as charged. I didn't make the comment, BUT I read it. It made me pause. Inexcusably, I got distracted by something else, and to your point, didn't speak up. I was complacent. Thanks you for the reminder and the kick in the pants.

Kyle

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©