3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To the Bone! The primitive Rendezvous 2014  (Read 3577 times)

Offline neuse

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: To the Bone! The primitive Rendezvous 2014
« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2014, 07:02:00 AM »
Again, super nice work and great build along.

I am going to take this link to the store and see if I can get it printed on good paper and have  a phamplet of this.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
Jim, it's going well I have it bending nicely and am sure I'll be ready with it by the hunt. I also have 2 others that are going to be there as well. I can't do pics I'm not that savvy.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #162 on: September 16, 2014, 02:59:00 AM »
Byron I'm glad you are enjoying our work, it's been a lot of fun learning along the way.

Gerald that's great, I can't wait to see what it is like! Keep us posted buddy
  :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: September 16, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
I still wasn't satisfied with either of my twig quivers so yesterday I went and harvested more little bendy branches...

Never know what you will find picking twigs...
*this is a marbled Orb Weaver! Miles aka mlsthmpsn recognized the spider, awesome sir!

I could never find twigs or vine small enough for the bottom so this time I tried goose decoy cord. It's mildew and rot resistant.

I'm better at controlling the build shape on the way up with the practice I've had. I kept the bottom smaller this time, oval shapped the body and bent some back contouring shape into it too. I would still like to redo the top/opening inTo a very slight flair but we are out of time now, this will do.  

Left to right... 1st,2nd,3rd attempts.

I did notice it becomes lighter as it drys but I lost the color stripes I tried to create in the last one.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: September 16, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
Getting the weaver tension just right is the hard part of making good basket quivers(any baskets) and using twigs makes that even more difficult. You have done a nice job with these twig quivers.
 Have you thought of vines like honeysuckle for the weavers? Might make easier to control.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: September 16, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »

I didn't have any real leather so I used the best stuff I could find at the local craft store. It's a little thin but hopefully it holds up, I will upgrade it after the season for sure. I used my favorite quiver made by Bud B as a template for the strap placement for offset, length, and knot creation. That saved a lot of time and experimenting, it was great on first try.

I still need to add some fake fur to the top and bottom to keep things quiet...
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: September 16, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
Pat I did collect some vines but I couldn't find a real good source. The Wild grape vines I found increased in size fast. Ill be on the look out through the season and have bags for pine sap with me, and watch for shoots for arrows, look for a straight HHB,... my awareness grows!  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: September 16, 2014, 05:43:00 PM »
I've enjoyed reading and watching all your creativity....I hope you continue with this while using your gear!  Keep up the nice work and go afield with confidence....

:thumbsup:
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: September 17, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
Will do Mark, and thank you sir... there are 5 of us meeting to hunt on David's land the first weekend of October. My hope is all of us will tell stories here. In my mind I have a hesitancy that I recognize in regards to committing entirely to primitive gear but minimally I will hunt selected outings throughout the season with my gear. Secretly I hope this grabs a hold of me early and I don't let a carbon arrow fly this year... let's see how it feels...
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
Lucky shoot #13 of 14...
Another very stubborn redosier dogwood that required excessive scraping and sanding well beyond the depth of any lingering bark along with 4 lightening groves the length of the shaft. Once a compatible 450 spine was obtained the shaft weighed in light at 590gr. The 2nd emerald green head from the port wine bottle was successfully reduced to 108 gr in a more controlled even manner than the first. Like arrow 12, the only other all white wood, bark free shaft, wild cherry bark was added for a silvery deep red accent.

*Later I added a full draw indicator to both cherry bark shafts at 27" I've seen this in pictures and thought it looked nice. I found the perfect matching material. A deep, dark red piece of long hair from a beautiful woman that smiles when she sees me... added mono    :)  

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
truly a terrific thread!
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »
Worked a little more on making my quiver quiet. First the bottom...
A layer of leather, 3 layers of fleece, sewed at the corners to hold the layers together. All fitted to the bottom...

This sewed to the bottom to quiet side contact and help separate the heads some. *Later that center divider in the picture below had to be removed, it was getting caught by the broadheads as the arrow was removed.

And then the top...

I put an extra strip of fleece in the upper portion of the top to add some bulk and cut it a little like a funnel shape so it was flared at the top to curl over and cover the top edge of the quiver...

I have not attached the pieces yet so the wood can get air and dry well in the next week. But I'm satisfied with the result... I don't like the thin leather in the strap that much, I'll have to think about it...
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: September 18, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
Every time I catch up on this thread I am amazed at what your creating Jim.  You got skills!  Thanks for sharing it all with us.
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
What a fun thread to follow along on.  The last few months of watching this have been a treat for sure!!

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2014, 02:16:00 PM »
Thanks a lot guys, nice of you to take the time to say so....

David, Gerald any updates? I'm developing a big grin over here... Getting close Boys!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2014, 04:04:00 PM »
Jim, just got back from our family vacation in Maine an hour ago. I will be working some more on the bow in the next few days, seeing those glass heads is making me want to build a special arrow for the hunt. You are doing an excellant job.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
Wow, time sure flies. This last week has been a busy one. Work has been crazy, and I managed to put a new roof on my mothers breezeway. I haven't got any work done on my last two arrows, but I did get a lot done for the hunt. The camp is cleaned up, fixed up, and pretty much ready for the hunt. I built two more ground blinds Saturday for a total of three. Today while I was working at camp, the Doe that always passes threw there, came threw with her two fawns at about 4:30. Iv' seen her come threw there two or three time now when Iv' been there working on the camp. I got within 20 yrds of her and she payed me little mind. I believe the deer are getting used to all the added human activity. My logger sees deer almost daily and they have gotten very used to his presence. All a definite plus when getting close is a must. This week should allow me more time to finish my arrows and be ready for the hunt. I'm off that Friday before the hunt. I could use some help that day if either of you guys can get here early. Don may arrive early Fri., but not sure. If you can't, no big deal. Really looking forward to it guys!
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: September 22, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
Sounds good Gerald, I'm eager to spend some casual time with you again buddy!
I can get there Friday to help David, ill PM you later today. Time is going fast...

:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: September 22, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
Well I didn't really have time for another project but I couldn't help myself... That strap on the quiver I made was good practice but really light weight so i ordered a belly cut of vegi tanned cow leather. I've done nothing previously with leather so I was really curious to try some stuff...

When I pulled the leather out of the box I was a little surprised how stiff it was. I think it is 6/7 weight. I was just going to cut a typical 1.5" strap
 But when I looked at the leather to lay it out I couldn't bring myself to cut the waste off I thought it looked to cool, more natural or rustic so I thought I would try to leave it and adjust it away from my neck...

I beveled the edges all the way around on both sides next...

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
The dry beveled edges were hard and sharp feeling to the touch so I went down the edges with a new sponge, let it sit and soak in a little. Then I smoothed and rounded them out with a little elbow grease. I was shocked how the leather molded or formed and rounded nicely, I didn't expect it.

After it dried I punched the holes I needed to attach to and adjust the quiver...

Next I put some sketches I had on a practice piece of leather, after dampening the leather and letting it begin to return to its natural color... it's ready to carve...

I love a little red in any project so I tried an ox blood dye on my sample piece. At first I rubbed the dye into the cut arrow carving but it disappeared, just didn't show up well, so I tried to keep the stain out and leave the cuts a raw light color... I liked how they looked better.

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©