3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To the Bone! The primitive Rendezvous 2014  (Read 3574 times)

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
Re: To the Bone! The primitive Rendezvous 2014
« Reply #180 on: September 22, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
I was trying so hard to carve out the letters I didn't keep them level, kinda made me laugh, my focus needed more focus   :)  

I put the ox blood on my piece being careful around the carvings not to fill them in. I actually used a Q-tip to add additional stain close to the carvings and in the holes I punched out. They were also helpful on the  rounded edges.

It should lighten over night as it dries... I left the back natural, it will not show while wearing the quiver. I stained the back of the test piece and being the rough side the stain looked like ox meat... I didn't care for it... not sure yet. Tomorrow I have a finish to apply and might do the edges black, not sure but I loved how it is so far. I feel like I could drag my deer out with this strap... over built, just like dad taught me lol.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: September 22, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
Give the new leather strap a good rubdown with a good leather dressing like Montana Pitch Blend, Mink Oil, etc. It will darken the leather a little but it will make it more flexible and more comfortable. Vigorous hand rubbing will heat the leather and dressing up for better penetration.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
That's true Pat, I didn't think of the waterproofing softening the leather, that would be good with me...

Last night late I decided to seal the strap edges so it could dry overnight and I could possibly waterproof the whole thing in the morning. I tried a compatible, same product line as the stain, edge sealer in black.

My work was not perfect with clean lines but overall I was pleased with the look. To me it added a more finished, framed appearance to the strap.

After the night of drying the leather was ready to go this morning. I decided to give it a good waterproofing, the leather accepted that with no complications.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: September 23, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
The fetching on my arrows are drying from a dry-fly waterproofing...

I don't think I showed this either... each arrow has my initials and the year very small somewhere near the nock/fetching area. I did this with my brother  Dan's arrows last year and liked how it turned out. When I did his arrows I experimented with different things and applications, for me India ink worked best. You can buy different sized markers in any good craft store.

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: September 23, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »
This is really a good thread to follow!  I look forward to each day's updates.  You're really a talented guy with lots of skills!     :thumbsup:

Bernie

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: September 23, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »
Thanks Bernie, appreciate that sir...

Quiver is done. I can hardly look at anything I've made and not want to do it again or more or better or slightly different but having said that I really love the quiver. The new strap is awesome. After adjusting the old strap I knew how long I wanted the New one. Bud B sent me a new leather back quiver and it lays across my back better than any I've worn so I totally took his set up for my stick quiver, gotta give him credit, thanks brother.

This is a picture of the quiver completely done. I used an all weather nylon type of heavy thread to sew the bottom pieces and the collar like fleece piece together, then that was sewed to the twig quiver all around the top edge of the bottom piece and all around the bottom of the piece at the opening of the quiver. All tag ends were burned/ melted down to increase holding power of the knot and keep them hard to see. My first thought was to have all the fleece removable in case wet but that proved problematic putting broadheads in and out, so I tried them in, the old wood stove will dry it.

Interestingly enough as the twig quivers dry the sticks shrink and that loosens the once tightly packed feel into something that moves and flexes easily on your back, but it's honestly secure/solid. I'm pleasantly surprised by this quiver. Ill be interested to see how I feel after hunting with it...
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2014, 09:51:00 PM »
Looks Great!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
Wish I had known you were gonna buy edge dressing.  I've got a solid paleo way to fix leather edges.  Looks better to my screwed up eyes, too, but that strap looks plenty fine to me.  I'll start my own quiver thread and post it there, but would you like me to cross post it here as well?

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: September 23, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »
Had a slight setback , my bow that I had been working on for the hunt broke. A large bamboo sliver lifted on the upper limb as I was measuring the weight. I had rushed the tillering job and I knew it might come back to get me. I had come in underweight and had to robbed the tips to gain weight, and in the end it was too much for the little 58" bow to handle.
That's OK I will be using my 2 other bows that I made, self nock arrows, and a new knife that I just finished, just not a special bow.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: September 24, 2014, 04:59:00 AM »
Charlie good luck this season, hunt and travel safe this fall!

Halfseminole would love to see your leather edge treatment. There is so much to learn and try. This has been an introduction to many things, I look forward to much more of it all...

Sorry to hear about your bow Gerald but looking forward to seeing the rest of your gear buddy...
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: September 24, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
I've never made a bamboo arrow and I never used anything but wing feathers. I really liked Pats tail feather fletching, so I gave it a try...  I  wish you could have seen me trying to align the feathers  so in the front the quill was on the top and bottom while on the back near the knock the quill was on the sides of the shaft... I needed more hands!

I built a primitive Native American Eastern Woodland 2 fletch arrow with self knock and sinew wrappings, a bone hunting point attached to the bamboo shoot with pine pitch glue and reinforced with sinew.

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: September 24, 2014, 05:32:00 PM »
Awesome buddy, the quiver and boo arrow look great. I really like that tail feather two fletch. Sticking out of a deer will look even better!!! I'm starting to smell fresh venison. Got to run... talk to you later.   :thumbsup:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: September 24, 2014, 05:32:00 PM »
I can't wait to see which arrow(s) draw blood!!!

Inspiring in so many ways!
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
Washing hunting clothes, organizing gear,  emailing to make final lists, plans, arrival times... I can't believe our hunt is almost here, I work one more day then vacation...
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:  Soon
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: September 28, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
This is one of the coolest threads i've seen.  Awesome stuff here.

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
Very good stuff, I like it!

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: September 29, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
Thanks guys!!! Scouting in the cool and damp early morning... can you feel it?

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  Can't wait till you guys get out there!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: September 29, 2014, 05:23:00 PM »
Jim I love this thread and all the primitive stuff you are making . If you are interested in the bow classes at Hawkeye I'm friends with Dave Reed who teaches the class call me if you want his number .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©