3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To the Bone! The primitive Rendezvous 2014  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
Re: To the Bone! The primitive Rendezvous 2014
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
Pavan I've not read anything about tempering bone points, that doesn't mean it's not done but I don't know of it. It's my first time working with bone in any capacity but holding the heads in my hands I have no doubt a well placed shot will be a clean kill. The Bone points I made are 40-60gr that sounds light but the dogwood and rose shafts are 600-700 grains unfinished at 33" With a mindful, well crafted, smooth transition from point to shaft and an arrow that is hitting its target straight on... I think we are going deep!

David I actually pounded out some deer tendons and back strap sinue last year camping/sitting by the fire with my dad at the sawmill shoot. So I have a little, thanks buddy. Did you tell me you were making a new bow?
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 12:33:00 AM »

Before and after...

I worked on more shafts today, trying to hit a lighter spine with the redosier... heat gun and belt sander... shafts resting till the morning and then ill see where they are at. I'm getting a better sense of what I need looks like after the trial and error. Sounds silly but new skills are earned I guess.

I also roughed out a few self knocks today on rose shafts. I found the stiff side of the shaft and cut the nock so that side is along the bow. The nocks are not finish sanded or done, I left them a little tight for now but you can get the idea. I do like to make the throat a little enlarged and finish sand the end so it will just stay on yet release easy. I have done this before on Douglas fir shafts and it leaves me rather impressed how hard the wood in these shoot shafts is when you try to shape them with a file. I didn't expect that I guess.

I love this little suction vise for doing work like this. It has rubber jaws that hold well without marking the shafts.

The simple tools I use. A double blade hack saw, a few small files, sand paper. Best tip... go slow, it's wood, hard to put it back once removed      :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 01:34:00 AM »
This is real cool. Your doing great.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 07:32:00 AM »
And I thought me hunting with my stone point was cool. Jim you are way cool.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 07:55:00 AM »
Jim I was making a new hickory bow, but it had a flaw in the lower fad. The bow would have taken too much set at a reasonable hunting poundage, so I finished it for my step daughter. 35 lbs is about right for her.....she loves it. It has about 3/4in. back set and shoots pretty good. I don't think I'll have time now to attempt another bow before the hunt.My Osage self bow shoots nice at about 48 lbs @ 26 but it would be nice to hunt with a bow I made myself.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
I like how the blade shapes can be made so exact with bone. My flint and obsidian heads were all just a tad different from each other.

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2014, 11:39:00 PM »

I now have 24 natural shoots sitting on the table, 9 heavier than I want, the rest receiving self knocks. On one of the heavier shoots I experimented with lightening groves or flutes related to mass, weight and spine reduction but that's another post. I have learned a lot in shoot selection and am keeping notes in reduction of spine and weight so I might better know what to expect from different materials in future projects. To say the least I'm having fun.

I took a break from the sticks this afternoon and went looking for pine trees that have had their lower limbs cut off to collect pine sap. I want to make a pine pitch glue to hold my hunting points on the shoots I'm making. I've never done it but was excited to try.

The sap I found was soft and more recent or fresh from the tree so I made a container. In the top you burn some pine sap that is inevitably contaminated with bark and debris, oils. As the undesirable stuff burns on the top and turns to a black ash the good nectar leaks down through the holes into the lower compartment.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »

I gathered my supplies and was so eager to start I lit the sap up on the back cement porch. Lol no good, it looked like I was trying to burn the house down.

It was a little fire but Lots of black smoke everywhere. I let it burn out and will continue at camp this weekend. I am eager to continue burning sap and then finish a batch of glue.

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 05:54:00 AM »
:campfire:
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »
Very kool James, I have the same thought in mind about the pitch glue. I have an mag. article on the subject somewhere. Iv' been practicing my flint knapping on some bottle bottoms. I'm getting there ( I think ?  :banghead:  ) I'm determined to make my own heads. I need to collect some more Goose feathers from our local Canadians. I finished one arrow shaft complete with wild berry stained cresting. ( minus the BH ) Iv' been taking pictures if you want to see them when I get done!
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
I would love to see your arrow! I'm pretty sure I have extra goose feathers if you need them. Just let me know david. What kind of wild berry did you use for stain?    :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 06:14:00 AM »
I'm not even fit to hunt with you guys anymore   ;)  
Very cool posting   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
I used wild raspberry and black berries for the stain/ paint. Looks very authentic Native American.Here, I'll show you some   pictur es.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »
I simply crushed the berries and applied the juice. The upper and lower cresting are raspberry and the center one is blackberry. I stained the shoot shaft with rotting leaves. The tannic acid stains the shaft a light to medium brown.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »
You guys are going for it........neat stuff!   :notworthy:    :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 11:50:00 PM »
Looks great David! I'm going to Hawkeye bow shoot this weekend. In the past I've seen them building osage bows there. I would love to build a bow or at least get some hands on scraping and learn a little about getting a stave to bend. 3 Days is short but we will see.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
Very Cool!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
Your stuff is really coming along nicely guys.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
In the past days I've spent some time refining 24 shafts to become closer in spine and weight. It's rather interesting and time consuming ha. I bought a little thumb plane and a very cheap wood carving v blade chisel. The basic idea is simple. Wood removed from the ends of the shaft effects weight more than spine, wood removed from the middle of a shaft effects spine more than weight. Having a realistic expectation of possible outcomes is a result of experience. I've taken good notes of some stubborn shafts as they progressed in spine and weight toward quiver material.

The plane I found especially useful in weight reduction on the larger end of the natural tapered dogwood. Placing the shaft in a board with a V grove gave great control and quick easy shaft rotation as you work it down in size

The V hand chisel I used to make "lightening groves" in dogwood shafts. I read these groves were used by some Indians... some say for possibly only aesthetics, some say to aid in straight drying, hard to know. I used the idea to reduce stock mid shaft and to weaken spine. I found it took a deep grove most would more likely call a flute to accomplish a significant change. The plane would have worked better but also removed all the bark that I like, and besides the power of lightening has to be strong medicine on deer?!

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »

While I finished burning off the rest of my sap in a nice little shady spot in the woods I was looking around a little. I had the idea to make a quiver for my new arrows. So I started collecting some natural materials to experiment with.

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©