3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To the Bone! The primitive Rendezvous 2014  (Read 3564 times)

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
Re: To the Bone! The primitive Rendezvous 2014
« Reply #220 on: October 08, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »
David has about 75 acres he ownes with thousands of acres of state land around, directly touching his property. He had set up multiple blinds in good,proven spots for us to start off hunting...

I have to say to David's credit I really appreciated his hoasting style. He was willing to set us up or cut us loose on the state land to do out own thing. Though I didn't see and deer I really enjoyed exploring the new grounds in the state land. It was exciting to put my boots on new land and still hunt with the wind not knowing  for sure what was around the corner. I had a good Sylvia compass and an open mind. I know there are good deer there but early season is tough in my opinion.

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: October 08, 2014, 11:51:00 PM »

For me the best part of the trip was the casual time spent beside the campfire or under the cook tarp. It was the conversation exchanged over coffee, all the seemingly endless hunting stories shared in excited tones and passionate expressions, the hardy laughter... plainly said it was fellowship in the woods of like minded brothers...

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: October 09, 2014, 12:13:00 AM »

As David drove me out in the trailer pulled with the 1940s tractor... I wished our weekend wasn't ending but as we passed through the woods and fields I came to see it more as a begging than an end. Something to be continued and furthered.

For me we were all easy company and as I talked to David while he helped load my truck we shared thoughts of next time,the rest of our season, and next year...

Our Rendezvous of primitive hunters seems yet full of possibilities because our passion runs to the bone! It's not over...
To Be Continued!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: October 09, 2014, 05:37:00 AM »
That sure looks like fun.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: October 09, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
Yes I also had a special time with the "Bone Crew". I just loved to be able to camp and hunt at the same time, thanks again David for the hosting, Jim for the story telling, Don for the new friendship, and the good Lord for all of it.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: October 09, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
Looks like a slice of heaven. That's what it is all about.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Longbow1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: October 09, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
I want to thank David, Jim, and Gerald for the outstanding experience I had hunting in New York State. What a great opportunity to spend time in such beautiful country.  Thanks for the hospitality and for making me feel so comfortable and welcome.  I also enjoyed the couple days of solitude there in the woods as well.  I came away relaxed and thankful for being able to get away from it all for a few days.  It meant a lot to me.
I've heard it said that Christianity is a crutch.  To me, it's a walking stick to use on the path of life.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: October 09, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
Looks like a  great Camp and group of guys!  Thank you for sharing this thread, it has been quite pleasurable.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: October 09, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
With his eloquent descriptive writing and his obviously skillful hands, I give a special thanks to my new friend James C. His dedication to the endeavor of this primitive hunt was far from selfish. The first thing I learned about Jim was not just his obvious crafting skills, but the energy,drive,respect and care he exudes towards his fellow man. You have my respect and admiration my friend. Your in a "class" of your own!    Thanks Jim

:notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: October 09, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  Cool...   :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: October 09, 2014, 10:23:00 PM »
Sorry to say no deer where killed ( this time ), but that"s the way it go's sometimes. Everything started changing with the deer when the acorns started falling. Big woods with thousands of oak trees doesn't give up her deer easily. Once the bucks start seeking out there girls then things will become a little more predictable. Here, for right now, it is what it is.......tough hunting. Maybe next year the acorns won't start falling quite so early.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: October 11, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
I tried making my first knife sheath for my new favorite accessory over the past few days. I wanted to have it match my quiver strap. It turned out good but like everything else, with flaws I will avoid next time.

Ox blood stain after the stiching holes were in...

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: October 11, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
After the stain dried over night I soaked the leather in warm water and used the plastic wrapped knife as a form to mold the leather to the knife to get a nice snug fit...

Lots of continued pressing and molding with my hands the entire time the leather dried created a nicely fitted shape...

After drying again over night I began hand sewing the sheath together with the mighty saddle stitch. Pulling each stitch tight drew it into the leather creating a smooth finished look.

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »

An additional shim like piece of leather is sewed into the edge to prevent the blade from wearing into to stitches. Building this piece in creates excess protruding leather that I sanded off easily with a disc slander.

The edges were beveled again and like the quiver strap all edges were sealed in a black finish. Outside sealed and buffed...

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
Knawbone and I have made tentative plans to hunt on the ground with our primitive gear this weekend at my family's camp in Cuba. The hunt goes on...

:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: October 12, 2014, 05:39:00 AM »
Looks great Jim, quality work as always. I'm getting ready to go out this morning with the prim. equipment. A scout/hunt combo- we'll see how it go's. A nice cool 34 degrees, no reason they shouldn't be moving some.Will be hunting the DEC land across the road.Looking forward to our hunt Jim.    :campfire:
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: October 13, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
Called a Doe in to my ground blind Sunday morning, after she passed by the stand at 25 yrds,I called her back with a few fawn bleats.I had her at 10 yrds, but couldn't get a shot. She only had to take a couple more steps. It wasn't to be. She finally caught my scent and walked off with a little stomp and a quiet double blow. hopefully I'll get another chance this year with the primitive gear. After the hunt, i ventured to other parts of the DEC land to do some scouting. I found these beautiful wild grapes after being tipped off by a pair of ruffed grouse.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: October 13, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »

These wild grapes are the biggest Iv' ever seen. They were easily half the size of concord grapes. Some of the largest ones were actually sweet.It was a beautiful fall day and I was thankful I was alive.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: October 14, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »
Hunted one of those small unexpected looking spots behind a friend's house. Its alwsys nice to refresh acquaintances with nice people you don't normally see through the year, does the heart good.
The day looked so perfect. Overcast, light consistent breeze, on and off light rain. You couldn't paint a better picture for a fall hunting day. I was on the ground in my ghillie suit, well hidden and comfortable. It looked so good I stayed in my hide out till just after 1100. No deer passed in a spot that by the end of the season will reveal many. That's hunting. I packed up and decided to do some still hunting/ scouting before returning to the truck. 50 yards from my set up I bump a buck off an overgrown trail...  the wind was good he simply saw me before I saw him as we wondered toward each other. As the wind and rain increased in the afternoon I took the opportunity to check other spots in the area and set them up.

I've done well leaving my Zipper at home though it feels like an effort to do so, I miss it, in till I look closely at the arrows I made. The desire to put them through a rib cage is strong. It's been a slow start to my season but early season is most often like that for me. Ill get opportunities, I just need to keep doing the work.

Also notable is how shooting has progressed with this bow. The straight, not contoured grip is nothing I would gravitate toward on my own but I've learned little things by spending time with the bow and that is gratifying. I don't feel nearly as limited as my shooting suggested before the season. These shots were 5,15,22... I'm having fun and learning...
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: October 23, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
Boy! it was great spending the weekend once again with my friends Jim and Gerald. This time the gathering was in Cuba NY at Jim's beautiful camp. His cabin there doesn't look all that cabiny from the outside, but once you step inside, it's a whole different world. Let me just say it could be the envy of any hunter. Very nicely done Jim. We once again had problems locating and seeing deer as is the norm for early season. It wasn't from a lack of trying and Jim knows the land and deer movements intimately. So anyway, here are a few pics to share the good time.

Mr. JC himself as we left the cabin for our final hunt of the weekend.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©