3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to deal with a thief!  (Read 517 times)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
How to deal with a thief!
« on: August 08, 2014, 01:04:00 AM »
Well last night once again my truck got robbed! It was my own fault I left my one door unlocked. They really didn't get much. They got my Eblerly stock pack a first aid kit and a few odds and ends in my pack. I had taken most of the stuff out of the pack the night before after a day of scouting. Two years ago almost to the day I had my truck robbed just after loading my truck to go scouting for my Mt. goat hunt. I had only left my truck unattended for about 4 hours while I sleep. They got me good on that one, spotting scope, fly rods, binos for about $3000 worth of stuff.
    So tonight after working a 14 hour day I came home to some young elk back straps and some fresh pick corn. I set out on my deck and enjoyed I nice dinner and thought about the bottom feeders that have taken my stuff. See they don't really know me I guess. If they did they would have just come and asked me. I might I just have helped them get what they needed. I like to help people when I can. Last year I let two people shoot old bows of mine gave away a couple of dozen arrows and broad heads to people that could use them. I gave out 4 or 5 fishing rods and gear to kids. Any one that knows me knows I am a sucker to any newbe to the out doors. Now that pack was bought for penny's on the dollar when a business was filling chapter 11. The money is not necessarily the issue it's the thought. I guess all we can do is just take pity in a person like this because they will never know what its like to be dedicated to something long enough to earn satisfaction in life. They will never know what it's like to plow,plan and harvest good sweet corn. They will never know the feeling after shaving a peace of wood until it bends into a bow. They will probably never understand how long it can take to master the flight of arrow or understand Why I do the things I do. I just think it would sad to only take and never earn something. Sorry for the rant but I hope the Gang will understand.

Offline jbrogdon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to deal with a thief!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 03:12:00 AM »
No, actually, it wasn't your fault

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 05:30:00 AM »
Yep... I've been robbed twice now in as many months and I'm still boiling form it all.

I'm lucky though that they also don't know me as things would turn out rather badly for them if I did.

Don't change mate in being who you are as a person... Rather just shoulder it as another learning curve.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 05:34:00 AM »
there sure is some scum in this world. sorry for your loss.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 06:38:00 AM »
I just think it would sad to only take and never earn something.

I would add what it is like to give.

I like where you are coming from and completely agree. I am not sure I could be as clear headed as you so soon after. Good for you.

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 06:44:00 AM »
Know how you feel. Left the back window down once when I was in a hurry after work for an evening hunt. Easy pickings I guess but at least I had what was with me. Really burns you up.

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 07:45:00 AM »
Im sorry you lost your gear. They'll get theres

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 08:00:00 AM »
Two kinds of people I have a hard time dealing with,liars and theives.Sorry that you have to go through this.   :nono:

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »
You're a better man than I, no pity here. I know how I would like to deal with theives, and would do it, "without remorse".
Tom

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »
I had a treestand stolen many years ago and felt the same way. I wasn't as upset about losing the treestand as I was about the act.

I actually talked to a company that is building outdoor GPS chips that can be put in things like tree stands and activated by a smart phone when the tree-stand moves +/-3 feet from its original location. I'm very interested in this technology only to deter and catch thieves.

Ron

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
Locks just keep honest people honest, sad but true... If they really wanted to take something out of your truck a locked door wouldn’t have stopped them. I despise thief’s with a passion, we have had our vehicles broken into many times... My sister even had someone break into her car and seal her bible, yep they stole a bible, sure hope they read it... Besides archery and hunting I’m an avid trapper, I was attempting to set several leg hold (#5's) around our car when we were getting robbed frequently but my wife insisted I didn’t, smart choice... Sorry about your loss, or more importantly the disrespect you feel when something is stole from you.
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
they will have to answer for it one day.
Slickhead

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
I typically don't leave tree stands in the woods, but the one time I figured I would take a chance on public land because I knew I was going to be back the next day.  Sure enough, went back to hunt - gone!  I knew better,  but thought there can't be a scum bag hiding around every tree, lesson learned.
Sorry for your loss,  I hate thiefs
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
Get you a nice laptop case and put a pet rattlesnake in it.  Leave your windows down so he does not get overheated.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
Doesn't really matter what you do. Scum will steal things just for the heck of it. Someone busted out my window for a quarter I had sitting in my console. That was literally all they took, a quarter.
I've been restoring a WWII Jeep. I dove it to town for a parade and afterwards stopped by a diner to get lunch. While I was in there a punk tried to steal the spare tire off the back. He didn't walk away from that or for quite a while afterwards. I broke both of his legs with the back of the axe I keep on my jeep.
Did I mention I hate thieves. I do. I really do. I'm a contractor by trade. Someone broke into my van and stole around $9000 worth of tools. So they not only took my tools but as they were specialty tools I needed, I lost the job as I couldn't complete it without them. Insurance wouldn't cover them so I couldn't do big jobs that pay to replace them. I had to restart my business from scratch. Took me 2 years to recover money, tools, and reputation.  
The guy that tried to steal the spare tire got my wrath from the guys that stole my tools. They were only a week apart. In hind sight I was probably a little harsh but Man I hate thieves.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
I have had lots of hunting stuff stolen. I left my stuff lay once for a short time when I thought that I was having a heart attack. It was only an arrhythmia caused by Celebrex and it passed, so I went back for my stuff. My quiver and arrows remained but my longbow was gone. I had so many climber tree stands taken that I lock those in and only used bolt instead of the hand nuts. I had a guy come up a steep ravine on his hands and knees with a hack saw and wrenches. I had moved my tree stand the day before, he stood looking up at my former tree with tools in hand. The look of shock he had when he turned around and saw me twenty yards away was good. He ran away. A couple of weeks later he succeeded and cut it off the tree. I am a generous guy as well, but I am not very forgiving. It would be best if we never cross paths again.
   What gets me is these guys around here are not likely to take stuff out of cars, but if something is out in the woods it becomes fair game to them.

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
Unfortunately it is often a kid from the neighbor hood or a friend of that kid. They see an outdoors person and they see you bringing in guns, bows and packs and it gives them ideas.

There are thieves who just drive around and then target one neighborhood but usually it is someone living close by.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
if anyone wants to know about my ghetto 15 dollar alarm system that will work on tree stands, trucks, motorcycles and even in your house or garage just let me know and I'll explain what we did,, I was poor growing up in the projects of Boston and this is what we did in the city to not only avoid break-ins but its perfect for catching or finding out who's doing it with the help of witnesses.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
I work with enough heroin addicts to know if its not tied down, its gone.

We are talking everything even shoe strings while people sleep.......

I'm sorry about your loss. Even though you bought that back pack for pennies on the dollar, I can assure you it sold from them for far less than what you paid.

I think if anything is stolen that isn't food. Fingers then hands should get cut off as punishment. Then you can at least tell who is a  repeat offender. Once both hands are gone then it should be capital punishment since they can no longer contribute to society. (most of the time they never have or will anyhow).
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »
The problem with forgiveness and leniency toward thieves is that any quarter given inspires them to delve further into the"Easy" life of a crook. A thief turns into  dealer into an armed robber into a murderer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©