3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to deal with a thief!  (Read 522 times)

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to deal with a thief!
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
I can relate . One of my cameras was stolen last year. Most likely one of the neighbors on our land during gun season. Never really cared who gun hunted as long they don't bother me in bow season. This year it's getting posted. Don't really want to call the troopers if I see anyone around but just might.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
Sorry to hear, always a bad experience.  

Not sure if this would help you but when I leave gear in my truck (in a carport) I set a radio controlled vibration sensor on top of my gear, which sets off an alarm when moved: an ear Piercing, 110dB

You could set up the whole deal for $100.00.

sensor and alarm can be up to 100 feet apart...

sensor:    http://tinyurl.com/kjjq9nm  

audio siren:    http://tinyurl.com/o5cztzx

Or spend more and get the control panel, etc and add as many sensors as you want for the yard, house, etc.

I have one 3 yrs now and am pleased with it...

http://www.skylinkhome.com/usa/alarmsystem_overview.html

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »
I'm with Charlie and Dorado, great story by the way about the axe handle. And I bet if there were witnesses they said "good for ya!" And Charlie I couldn't agree more. Let's start with the thumbs. If I ever coughs someone breaking into my car, I'd probably be having to fill out some legal papers the next day. Thievery gets worse as the economy goes down so people can sell your stuff for whatever they can...
Either way. Twitchstick, you are a good man for having the thoughts that you do, and it's a shame that you're stuff was stolen   :mad:

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
That sucks bad.
I'd load the truck up to the windows with gear and bait them in. Then have a couple 330 conibear traps hidden waiting for them to step on near the truck. Once caught I'd probably spend a half hour or so shooting them with my kids paint ball gun before calling the cops...lol.  Not saying this is right and that I wouldn't get in trouble but it sure sounds good.

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
When incarcerated these people continue to steal from other prisoners. One of the things you have to watch out for is that some thieves see hunting season as an opportunity to steal by riding the roads of WMAs and NWRs looking for parked vehicles. They can break a vehicles window without you ever hearing them. In some cases they are like tradesman and have the necessary tools to engage in commit a theft. It is a business and very lucrative. Be sure to have insurance to cover the loss.

Offline Medicare Bhtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
Over the years I have had bows, tackle box full of arrows, etc,feeder, camera and over one dozen stands stolen.
Just returned from vacation and my Jon boat and trailer was gone!
Don't believe you can stop thievery.

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
Thomas it is very difficult to stop thieves when people and business's (pawn shops) are willing to buy stolen goods from them, in some cases knowing the merchandise is stolen. The best thing you can do is find a way to mark you equipment that you can identify and is not apparent to the thief, take a photograph of the bow or whatever equipment you mark to give to the police. When thieves strike, one of the first places the police check are the pawn shops. Most thieves are to smart to sell the equipment locally, but not smart enough to go to the closest town and pawn shop. However, some of these guys and gals are professional thieves and see what they do as a job and develop the skills that make them successful. Theft is one crime that is somewhat impossible to solve, since the people who buy their ill gotten gains know full well that the objects were stolen.
Once upon a time when neighbors were neighbors and looked after one another and their property thieves found it difficult to steal and more thieves were caught. Today things have changed and such vigilance is no longer there.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
They've taken from me:

1 Motorcycle (wildlife officer's son stole it)
1 Shed full of my kid's toys (employees stole)
1 Ladder tree stand (???)

Oh, I almost forgot....my country (Liars).

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
I'm with Charlie. I also think every amputation should be done publicly and broadcast on television.

Society has become too soft and PC about things like this. About everything.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
Liars are thieves, they steal truth.  We have jails full of these criminals and most could not understand many on this site,: they are lazy and we are not.  We work at our sport, we work for our gear and we share.  We are givers and thieves, by definition are takers.  Sorry for your loss, and I pray that I get your level of forgiveness, because I would not be so graceful as you
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
Sounds like somebody may be scoping you out.  How about a 330 conibear on the front seat, covered with a bandana and a $20 bill wired to the trigger...dang carefully, get a "setter" these things maim. If you're not familiar with traps get a 3" DCS leghold...just slightly less spectacular results and way easier to set. If you want to cable it to the seat it'd probably hold them while you showered, shaved, dressed and got your baseball bat.  The neighborhood won't appreciate the screaming though,  and they might take care of it for you.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
I bet if we had prisons here like the black dolphin prison in Russia things would be a lot different,,,,, last I heard its 85% re-offenders committing the crimes...  I guess tree stand thieves are a different breed they simply need to be hurt or made known..

all you guys who use cameras the correct placement for your camera is across from your stand and at least 10' up a tree,, aim that thing back towards your stand and down towards the base of your ladder so when your in the stand it doesn't keep taking pics of you,,,,, your watching game movement and who climbs up and then down with your stand..
"Us vs Them"

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
Yep, no rambling to me...your thoughts make perfect sense.

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »
It's a shame that when they do catch the thugs they just slap em on the wrist.

I have a good suggestion how we should handle thieves...if our justice system still had common sense as a guideline.
My suggestion is would probably be considered harsh
today.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that Jimmy! Let me know if you need anything! The good news is next weekend is the opener.   :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©