3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: do nocks make a difference  (Read 234 times)

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
do nocks make a difference
« on: August 08, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
I recently made up a couple dozen arrows, 1 doz the exact same as I had been shooting, gold tip trads, and 1 doz of a different brand.  When i did these arrows I ordered different nocks for cosmetic reasons. The nocks i ordered are loose fitting on my serving. Well with these arrows either set i am shooting lights out, best i ever shot.  So could this be due to the nocks?
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Re: do nocks make a difference
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
Some nocks are slightly different width and can a have an effect on nocking point levels, but if a nock with a snap on design has any amount of tightness that will affect how the arrow comes off the string. I find that even if those clip on nocks just kind of grab they can come off the string differently from shot to shot. I have one in my practice set, sometimes it goes with the group and sometimes it wanders around in flight. I break lots of nocks in practice, I usually shoot at that arrow, but that nock is the luckiest nock in the world. I cannot seem to hit it, one of these days I am just going to cut it off.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
I never realized how much properly fitting mocks matter until my first Solana hunt.  Learned form Terry and the gang that your nocks need to fit loosely.  If they are tight at all, they will cause flight issues.  So I would say loose fitting mocks will make a difference.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
I like the flick test.  If it will clip on and you can hold string/arrow downward, give string a good flick and arrow falls off things are going well.  Too loose and you risk slip off and dry fire.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
Yup.... tight nocks cause irregularities coming off the string..... use nines recommendation. they should fit snug, but fall off the string with a slight tap on the string with the arrow hanging straight down.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
I like my nocks to snap slighlt right at the mouth but offer no resistance in the throat. Once my arrow is in place the nock slides up and down the string freely... without nocking points in place of course.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »
One of the biggest mistakes I see is not paying attention to nock fit.  It's usually the first thing I check when someone tells me "I just can't get my arrows to fly straight", and often it's the reason, or at least part of it.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 02:49:00 PM »
Thats why I use mercury speed nocks! And of course there is the old and ornery part.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
I learned long ago a fingernail file can be a blessing when dealing with all the different nocks that's available on today's array of carbon arrows.  Just go slow and you can fix most any tight nock.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by ddauler:
Thats why I use mercury speed nocks! And of course there is the old and ornery part.
X2
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
Personally (& not many agree) I do the 'let go' test.
If I let go of my arrow & it falls off the string by itself, I'm good.
I intentionally sand out the throats of all my nocks so that there is zero contact with the string. At all.
JC turned me onto this years ago & the improvement it made to my arrow flight instantly convinced me.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
I have played with nock fit often. I seem to like mine just a little more snug than most shooters. Not overly tight. It takes 2 or 3 taps with a finger to make them fall off the string.
When arrow flight is marginally stiff, tight nocks might make it worse.
Right now…knock on wood…my set-up is working great with moderately snug fit easton nock that comes on 5/16 easton carbons. I think it's an S nock? They are a snap type,
I use halo serving. Maybe that helps them pop off. 18 strands of 452x and .25 halo. no modification of the nock.
Tedd

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
I like Bohning classic nocks....
When you order a string, most string makers will serve to fit your nock....
If nock is too tight, take two emery boards, place them together and draw them thru your nock to loosin them up....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
I'm with Tedd. I like them to fit a bit more snug than falling off from a tap. My flight is fine and I don't worry about the arrow moving while drawing and letting down, etc.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©