3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk Help  (Read 243 times)

Offline quail

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk Help
« on: August 09, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
Thinking about planning a elk hunt for 2015. Would be a DIY for sure. Not asking for anyone to give up their secret spot, but some suggestions on what areas to start looking at would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Help
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
Where are you looking to go?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
Truck camp or backpack?  What is your age and physical condition?  Are you looking for a branch antlered bull or would a cow or spike only hunt be of interest?  Any limitation on how far you would travel?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline quail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 10:46:00 PM »
Have been to Colorado twice in the Rio Grande Nat'l Forest, south of Del Norte. Went during gun season 20 yrs ago (which I have since lost my appetite for). We will likely truck camp with the option of having rextra gear to set up a backpack camp if needed. I just turned 50 and can still get around fairly well for an old bird. I am not intimidated by the routine I will need to get my legs and lungs in mountain shape.
Colorado is closest to me, but I have a strong yearning to start trying to obtain a Utah tag.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
I think Utah takes a few years to draw. I suggest a draw unit in the Flat Tops, I think there are some that you can draw with zero points. Look at a map of Colorado, the areas north of Glenwood Springs. Largest elk herd in the US!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
Utah also has some very good spike/cow only tags.  If antlers are not the primary focus I would seriously consider that.  Arizona cow tag would be another one to look into.  

New Mexico is a good option if you can get lucky and draw a tag.  No preference points needed, but draw odds are not great.  I would probably try that as my first choice, and then look into Utah as a backup plan.  

Colorado of course has some good hunting OTC, but lots of competition.  You need to find a way to get away from the crowds in order to have a quality experience.  In my opinion, that means either packing in or having limited access from private land.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline flinter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
The coastal areas of Washington and Oregon have good elk herds. They are otc tags, no draws. You can shoot branch bulls and cows in a lot of units. Good Luck!!!

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
:campfire:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
MT has some amazing hunting and the tags are relatively easy to come by.   However I would suggest an outfitter for a newbie.  Griz and Wolves have changed the hunting.  

Local knowledge is pretty key.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
I've had great hunts in CO, ID, and AZ..been putting in for NM and UT for years and have yet to draw either.  In my experience even the "worst" units in AZ are better than most other states so I'd for sure put my name in the hat there, and don't overlook the less desirable units where your odds are far better.  If you don't draw you can always go OTC.  I really like Idaho and would love to hunt Montana and Wyoming but it's an extra day driving each way which means 2 less hunting days so I usually end up in Colorado.  Like Joe said, the key is finding areas where you can get away from the crowd.  It can be done, it's just not always easy.   Good Luck!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©