3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell my why I should carry binos.  (Read 847 times)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Tell my why I should carry binos.
« on: August 09, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
The binocular thread got me thinking about the fact that I stopped carrying binos a few years ago.

I understand that for western hunting they are a must but around here I try to get as many deer in the freezer before the guns go off. That means leaves are on the trees for the bulk of my season and 150 yrds is seeing a long way. I also ground hunt and have a minimalistic/lightweight approach to what I carry.  

Don't get me wrong when I'm duck hunting I don't leave home without them. They are a useful tool and weight isn't a factor. That said I don't remember wishing I had them the last few years. I remember reading one of the Asbell books and he placed a lot of emphasis on optics. So, I carried them around with me a few weeks, didn't use them, killed a couple deer and put them back in my duck pack.

So what say yee am I not seeing forest or the trees for the lack of optics?
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell my why I should carry binos.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
You seem to have made a logical choice.
Tom

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 10:58:00 PM »
Getting close to deer on the ground means seeing them first usually. Binos can help in that regard, especially when looking thru foliage. Stopping every few yards to have a look will also slow you down. JMHO
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »
Next to my bow and knife it is the most important  tool I have. From midwest whitetail to turkey. I can not tell you all the turkeys I have taken due to binocs.  I see deer I would never have observed.  Dim light.  I assess deer.  Age, size, etc.  Check out an ear or tail. I can not imagine hunting without them.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »
I hunt out west and don't carry them but I do carry a ten power monocular, fits in my pants pocket. I can spot an elk over a mile away but the monocular separates the elk from the elk rocks. I carry it tree stand hunting the river bottoms out on the plains too but it's still more open there than the bottoms back east.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 11:29:00 PM »
You should carry big, heavy binoculars that dangle loosely around your neck.  They will slow you down while walking and you'll see more game that way!   :bigsmyl:

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »
No right or wrong, let your hunting style dictate your use. I tend to use them scouting since I am a terrain hunter. Usually heading to a specific spot.

Still hunting in an unfamiliar area I can see where they would be useful.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
I suppose if I strictly hunted from a stand or blind I could justify forgoing optics.  The only animals I would be interested in would be the ones sauntering down the path toward my manicured, pre determined shooting lane.  My favourite hunting method is still hunting and spot and stalk.  This is what Asbells book focuses heavily on and why he emphasizes quality optics.

Optics are not only for long range glassing of sheep or goats.  I have picked out blacktails and elk 50 yards away while still hunting that I had failed to see a minute earlier while scanning the brush with the naked eye.  Beyond magnification to erase distance, quality optics gather more light, bringing animals sitting in the shadows to, well, light.  This is especially critical during the first and last hour of the hunt.

This is coming from a western hunter, but I would never intentionally leave my binos at home, even for a short hunt.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 01:05:00 AM »
I just love to see stuff closer. Even a deer at twenty yards I will watch with my binoculars to observe. Every deer I see in heavy cover I try to instantly glass and identify age and sex to determine if I will be shooting or not if a shot presents itself.
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 06:48:00 AM »
Here in PA we have an antler point restriction. It helps in identification of a legal buck before he hits bow range.
Beyond that, I carry a good set all of the time in the woods, regardless of the season.  They allow me to scan the woods beyond bow range and many times a season I will pick up a deer partially hidden in the brush that I had been missing with just my own eyesight.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 07:02:00 AM »
I'm with you Rob.  At my advancing age and knees/hips begging for replacement, every ounce of gear has to justify its inclusion! I do like an economical, high magnification compact for 3-D tourneys to pick up the vitals on those black targets in the shade. Hunting, I don't tote 'em.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 07:08:00 AM »
Your statement about not missing them says it all. Any time I forget mine (rarely) I miss them. You're getting it done without an extra piece of gear. Hard to fault that.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 07:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by KSdan:
Next to my bow and knife it is the most important  tool I have. From midwest whitetail to turkey. I can not tell you all the turkeys I have taken due to binocs.  I see deer I would never have observed.  Dim light.  I assess deer.  Age, size, etc.  Check out an ear or tail. I can not imagine hunting without them.

Dan in KS
I agree with Dan.  I don't go into the deer or turkey woods without them.  I do use a good harness which even helps to keep bulky clothes away from my string.  I use them to spot and identify before the shot and after the shot, I can use them to see the travel path of a wounded animal or even see the downed animal and determine if a follow shot is needed or if the animal is down for good.
  Plus I love to check out all the cool birds and animals up close, that are around me.

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 07:44:00 AM »
sure,..( you don't need them ) just like a video camera, I don't need it. its just fun to have along just incase you want to use it. really all you need is bow and arrows.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 07:59:00 AM »
They are the second most important tool I have, the first being a weapon. With that said I have poor eyesight and they let me tell the difference between a blob and a tree, stump, dirt, debrit, or animal before I am within 20yds. It's more important than a knife for me as I could use a broadhead to dress game but I need the glass to be able to hunt effectively.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 08:01:00 AM »
I have found that even at closer distances, 50 yards and under, my current vision needs all the help it can get from 500 yards to the 50 yards and under. A bedded deer might twitch an ear that binos will help me see. My naked eye wouldn't be able to see the detail I now see as blurred images without the binos. Sweat and fogged up lenses cause me to leave the eyeglasses off. Binos take their place for an as-needed use.

That reminds me, my new eyeglass lenses are ready for pick-up at the eye doc...

Bino use is an individual decision based on necessity.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
I'm also with Dan on this.  

I wouldn't think of hunting whitetails without them.  Mine are setup with bino buddies so they don't move around.  The straps also keep my clothes back out of the way of my bowstring.   I don't scan the woods with them....too much movement but I will use them to verify size of deer, sex (button bucks)and shot placement.  Clarifying where my arrow hit and studying the deers body language after the shot is huge and will help determine when to take up the trail.  I also use them to study the deer before I approach them.  With whitetails I take nothing for granted and verify everything.

I will also use them to scout alternative tree stand locations from the stand I'm in.  Also, did you know that if you flip them upside down they can be used as a magnifier.    :notworthy:  

I never leave home without them.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
I'm with you Bud.   I may not be aging, but my eyes sure are..,   :banghead:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
I personally dont use them. I feel if I am constantly putting them to my face, I am making too much movement.

I can understand the logic everyone has mentioned and see how they can be useful.

One last note before I leave....

Binoculars are not traditional   :laughing:    :deadhorse:    :shaka:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
Unless I'm hunting open country (croplands, west, etc.) I don't take my binocs either.

I'll admit there have been a few times, maybe once every season, that I see a bit of deer out of range moving through trees that I couldn't quite make out. Of course these instances haven't been shot opportunities, just "scouting" incidents.

I wouldn't use the binocs to constantly scan from my treestands. I'd be far too concerned about excessive movement.

Maybe, if I owned super-dooper binocs (mine are Leopold) I might appreciate them more?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©