3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mixing bowstring material ???  (Read 391 times)

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
Mixing bowstring material ???
« on: August 10, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
How many mix and match different string material? Recently I made a string with both D10 and D97 and it seems fine and shoots great, am I crazy.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mixing bowstring material ???
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
They will stretch at different rates and are different diameters. I wouldn't recommend mixing string materials but it could work okay.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline ironmike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
there are so many self appointed quacks in that subject it's beyond amusing..stick with a single material,a real good serving,and a well made string of any single
material will win you anything your aiming at.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
Any pro string makers want to chime in??
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
Not a pro by any means but I would say that the load of the bow in that string is not distributed evenly. My guess is the D97 is doing very little? But I've been told more than once that I don't know crap!  I'm sure an expert will be along shortly to set us all straight.   :knothead:
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »
The only mixing I'll do is using B-55 in the loops, where it's just taking up space and not bearing any load.

Scott is right--they will have different rates of stretch and creep, so the stronger material is carrying the load.  The weaker material is just adding weight, and maybe dampening sound.

Mike Treadaway uses a string that is part HMPE and part Dacron, but he uses enough of the HMPE material to carry the load.  The Dacron is just a built in silencer.  He said he likes them because they are quieter.

Personally I wouldn't suggest it and I won't sell a string like that.  Too risky IMO.

Chad

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
Ive done it with B55 and B50. 10 strand(5x5) of purple B55 then 2 strand of yellow B50 in one bundle, 2 strand of red B50 in the other for color accent. I figure the B55 doing all the work. The bow is my daughters 58" Dark Archer that was horrendously loud with some sort of skinny string that was on it when I bought it. Its been whisper quiet with the "combo" string for about 2 yrs now...................YMMV
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
I like to experiment on my own, so this works good for me and sometimes it really works. Most times the nay-sayers haven't tried it and are just repeating what they have heard from people that haven't tried it either.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »
My old Treadway bow(1999) has a string with two types of string. One is B-50 and the other is low stretch material.
 I have mixed B-50 and B-55 and there is a difference in diameter from what I can tell. B-55 seems thinner.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
I was told I can mix 8125, and 8125G.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
I have used B-50 or B-55 with D-97 and 452. I just put a couple of strands in each bundle to make the Diameter larger. I don't like the feel of skinny strings. Mike Treadway says its his regular way to make a string. Seems to work just fine...... Used it on recurves and longbows.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
8125 and 8125G can be mixed--it's the same material, except the "G" contains a tiny strand of GORE fiber.  The rate of stretch and creep is the same.

As long as you have enough of the stronger material, you can add something else, but it's just added weight.  Rather than use a different material, you can use more strands of the same material or use a larger size serving.  You'll get the same basic effect plus have a stronger and more durable string.

Chad

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
what chad said +2
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 05:42:00 AM »
If I recall correctly, the stock Shrew strings, and the strings that Gregg Coffey now offers with his Java man bows are either 6 or 8 strands of 450+, and 2 strands of Dacron. I really like those strings for performance, feel and sound.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
I'll mix B50 or B55 in the loop ends but don't mix different materials in the main body.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
Just curious,what would be the advantage?

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 09:05:00 AM »
I step  out on the limb with this but I have mixed Dacron and FF. I found it to be a great string. Very quiet and lasted until I cut it on a fence. It does settle in a little weird as it makes one big move and then it's good. I posted on this a few years back and you would have thought I was attacking the Pope.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
Just curious,what would be the advantage?
It's just another way to silence the string.  The polyester ("Dacron") won't be close to full tension, so it will absorb vibration.  It's like adding silencers on the whole string.  The down side is it's dead weight on the string.

Do it right (use enough of the stronger material to safely carry the load), I don't see any major problems with it. Personally I rather just add a small set of silencers and tune accordingly.  So far (20 years) I've gotten excellent results like that.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
The quietest string I have right now is a blend of B50 and 8125g...the b50 I believe functions as a silencing device, and effectively pads the loops and the serving area without making the string appreciably slower...I am shooting arrows that weigh over 900 grains at over 150 fps with that bow

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »
I don't use 450+ anymore.  Switched to D10, and now that it is going away, gotta use other.  Did have a complaint or two about the dacron mixed with 450+ slowing a bow down a tad.  

We are probably splitting hairs regarding speed with any single material low stretch string.   When durability and sound are really the most important factors on a stickbow.  IMHO.

Gregg
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©