3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feathers keep coming off  (Read 534 times)

Offline recurve maine

• Trad Bowhunter
Feathers keep coming off
« on: August 10, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
I had 2 dozen FMJ's fletched with feathers, I can only get about 6-7 shots per before a feathers comes off. I know the shafts had been wiped down with Naptha prior to being fletched, any ideas?
1972 Lefty Browning Nomad 51lb @ 30.5
62" Lefty Sammick Sage 66lb @ 30.5
In Search of a custom Lefty long bow!

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feathers keep coming off
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 05:09:00 PM »
I've never found a simple wiping or cleaning to be sufficient when prepping aluminum or carbon shafts. There might be glues which make it possible, but I'm not aware of them. All my shafts get an abrasive scrubbing with either a fiber-pad or a sponge sanding pad. Dulling the surface is key for me. Of course, I crown dip every arrow I make, so it's not a problem to scrub them first. If I wasn't paint-dipping, I'd likely give them a clear dip before fletching. You might want to ask a dedicated pro shop how they fletch the FMJ.

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 05:09:00 PM »
that's why they came up with the wraps.

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
do you know what glue was used.

i use super glue on my gt carbons with no trouble. lots of guys like fletch tite.

if its the same feather on every shaft it be a contact issue, but i bet its the glue
Kevin Day

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »
What glue are you using? You might need to sand the arrows just a little to give the glue something to stick to. I'm using Bohning Fletch tape with a dab of fletching glue on both ends and I'm not having any problems with mine. I'm shooting them out of my #60 longbow and have had to pull them through my target, and they hold tight.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline recurve maine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
fletch tite is what was used. I am wondering if its because I have the "carpet side" for Velcro on my shelf and plate? Maybe the quill is getting stuck? I am shooting 340's though a 60lb Samick Sage(heavier then 60# though as I draw 29.5)Maybe I should consider new shelf material?
1972 Lefty Browning Nomad 51lb @ 30.5
62" Lefty Sammick Sage 66lb @ 30.5
In Search of a custom Lefty long bow!

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »
On bare carbon shafts I clean with acetone or fletch Laq thinner. No, I do not mind the oder. I use NPV glue from Saunders.
There is a lot of folks using the fletch tape with good success. There is a rather good thread about using tape, do a search to find it. Real good info.

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »
I use the carpet side of Velcro almost exclusively and have no problems. If you think it's causing a problem, you could trim it down a bit. I use fletch tape with a dab of Duco on both ends and have never had any issues. I'm a very impatient fletcher and spend very little time prepping the shafts. Usually just a quick wipe with alcohol.
Live and let live.

Offline flinter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
I do the same as Slim Grim. Fletch tape and a spot of glue on each end with Easton Legacys. Never any issues.

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
I can only say what I have done for years with no problems.

For alum shafts I scuff / sand the area to be fletched with steel wool and then clean well with acetone.

I only use fletch tape for feathers; I adhere fletching with drop of glue at each end of feather.  Sometimes I do run glue down the entire quill.

I never have any problems.

Good luck, I'm sure you will get it worked out soon.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 06:59:00 PM »
fletchtite is really bad on carbons.  Switch to gel super glue and you'll be much happier.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
There have been issues with Fletch-Tite Platinum on aluminum.It has been well documented.

From Bohning's site:"Platinum provides an incredible bond with carbon or wood shafts."

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
I use Saunders NPV on carbon with no problems so far.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
Fletch Tite Platinum on aluminum is worthless unless you use a wrap. I'll never buy another tube.

I now use fletch tape or super glue gel on bare aluminum. Always add a dab of glue on the front and rear of your feather no matter what.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
I use velcro for both side plate and rest and never had a problem. I use acetone on shaft and feather then use fletchtape and super glue on both ends. Shot in all types of weather and haven't lost a feather yet.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
fletchtite is really bad on carbons.  Switch to gel super glue and you'll be much happier.

Mike
What little bit I've fooled with carbons super glue gell works.
I use it on aluminum too.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 12:55:00 PM »
Bulldog adhesive promoter
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »
I always clean my carbons and aluminum shafts with denatured alcohol and extra fine steel wool. I wipe them with a clean dry cloth rag. I use Gorilla super glue and it works great. On more thing I do is after removing the clamp after letting the glue set up 15-20 minutes I place a drop of glue on each end of the feathers. Try it out. Good luck.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
Clean shaft 99% alcohol with extra fine steel wool. Fletch with Bohning fletch tape. Dab of glue to the front of arrow. Works for me. Good luck!

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »
If you want to use the fletching tape, great.  It works real well, especially on wood shafts.
I too have suffered from the same problem.  I have found that the Platinum glue works better than the standard, but none of them seem to work well once the glue gets old.  When i get to the bottom 1/3 of the tube, the glue seems to start to become thicker.  It is then that it doesn't held as well.
The only thing I do to prep new shafts is to wipe them with a bit of Gun Scrubber sprayed onto a paper towel.  Acetone works for me as well.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©