3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Roy Hall Apache vs Cherokee. Opinions?  (Read 499 times)

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Roy Hall Apache vs Cherokee. Opinions?
« on: August 11, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
Hey All.  Had a chance to shoot a new Roy Hall Apache this weekend at the Great Lakes Longbow Invitational that Larry Murray of Lost Nation had on the rack.  The Apache shot like a dream with a sweet grip, great length at 62" but a little lighter than I'd like at 43@28.  

I told Larry to let me know if he got an Apache in that was 62" and 46-50@28.

Well, he messaged me this morning that he contacted Roy, and that there are two CHEROKEES available.  Both 62" one at 46# and one at 49#.

Looking at Roy's website I see the differences in riser, with the Apache being a forward riser and the Cherokee being a rear riser.

For those of you who shoot Roy's bows, how would you compare the shooting characteristics of the two?  Do you prefer one over the other?  Pics are ALWAYS welcome!  Thanks!
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline Whitetailarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Roy Hall Apache vs Cherokee. Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
I can't compare the two but I have shot an Apache for about 4 years now.  It is a great bow - like you said a sweet grip, smooth and quiet and dead in the hand. I think the Cherokee is supposed to be a little faster - not sure. I don't think either one would be a mistake.

Offline Bob Moran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
I have a 62" Cherokee @ 38# and love it. Can't say about the Apache, but I doubt that you would be disappointed in a Cherokee. It is a piece of art!
May your friends be as many as the promises you keep.

Offline brianbfree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
I live in AZ and I think the Apache's would win they were some tough hombres!  :knothead:
DH Super Diablo         60#@28
DH Ventura              60#@28
BP Lord Mercury         40#@28
Golden Sovereign Knight 65#@28
BP  Mercury Hunter      65#@28

Brian Beery

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
I really like the grip on the Cherokee but have never held a Apache
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
I owned one of Roy's Apache TD models. Great looking bow with an outstanding grip/riser. It just never measured up performance wise. It seemed very slow compared to similar bows. Roy's Cherokee on the other hand was one of the best shooting bows I've ever shot. Quick pointing and quick shooting. Unfortunately someone bought it before I decided to pull the trigger, so I had Roy build me an Apache instead. Bad choice but life goes on. Good luck and good shooting.   :banghead:

Offline Flying Dogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
I shot both on numerous occasions and prefer the Cherokee over the Apache although the Apache is a very nice shooting bow. Two of my shooting buddies agree and we all bought Cherokees. You should try them both if possible as we all have our preferences. Roy does put on an outstanding finish all of his bows.

Offline Archer1019

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
I had an Apache that I regret ever selling but have presently a Cherokee. I love the Cherokee just as much. I could not say I can tell much of a difference between the two. The grips between the two are quite similar and both shot an arrow quick enough at hunting distances. Fit and finish is superb and Roy is super nice to deal with. Both were very quiet to boot. I just ordered an Apache from Roy last week.  

Roy just finished a 62" Apache that's 43# that I can send you pics of. I'd of bought it but it was a tad lighter than I wanted. Roy also has some nice veneers he can get. Mine will have Afzelia veneers with a micarta and coco handle.
..believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.. Acts 16:31

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
Well, I've got a Cherokee coming!  Should be here in a couple days.  64" 47@28, Bubinga and Black Micarta riser, Curly Maple veneers.  Very excited about this bow!!!

Time to list a couple more bows in the classifieds!
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
Have not shot the Cherokee but have nothing negative to say about my Apache T/D. Smooth draw, easy to point on target and I really like the grip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©