3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground Blind set up  (Read 605 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ground Blind set up
« on: August 11, 2014, 10:28:00 PM »
How do you fine folks position yourselves in a ground blind in perspective to anticipated deer travel?

I always plopped down any old way and expected deer to approach me from the front.  last year that back fired and a deer came straight at me to 4 yards or less and never offered a broadside or quartering shot until he was walking away but by that time I had to move significantly.

I just had the revelation if I sit with my back to where the deer come from and expect them to travel in from one side or another and from behind, they would give me a  quartering away shot after they pass.

Any thoughts on your preferred set ups.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground Blind set up
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
Between direction of travel, wind direction, cover, etc, you can't always get the setup you'd like, but if I can, I have them come from across or behind and pass on my bow arm side.  I want cover behind and above me and some low cover between me and them but esp cover that blocks them from seeing me as they approach.  Once they get past you it is much easier to draw and shoot.  I've been known to cut a hole in some autumn olive and set my seat in there.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
Where I hunt the wind changes a lot so I just do the best I can concerning the wind.
I try to get some thick stuff behind me,but I also like some cover in front.

Try to stay in the shadows. Sometimes I will cut saplings, bushes and position them to block out any sun. Jute twine can be used to tie limbs,ect to hold them in place.
Where I hunt you cant pin-point where the deer will come from.

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
I work the wind Charlie,no sense trying to fool that black shiny scent detector. I do like to set up off to the side of a trail or area that I "think" the deer will be approaching from. Many deer have left me know that we do not "think" alike.

I am planning on sitting around in a Ghilli coat this season,it should be interesting.

I think that backdrop is as important,if not more,than cover in front.

Good Shooting,
                                   Craig

Offline Cato

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
I am in MS, and our deer are totally wired.  We just cannot get by with much of what you see on TV in a tree, let alone on the ground. As a result, almost nobody hunts from the ground with a bow.

That said, virtually all of what I read said the most critical part is getting cover behind you.  However, after getting busted trying to draw multiple times, I am coming to a different conclusion.  I am setting up (in a ghillie) behind a tree, or trees, to the extent possible.  This allows me to draw behind the tree and lean out.  Of course this is not always possible, depending on how the animal approaches.  So far I am having much better luck this way though.
Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
You can use terrain, trails, downed trees etc to your advantage.  

Lay a log across a trail so that they have to go around it,  lay several to make a sort of fence / funnel.

Do that where there is tall thick vegetation and use a kukhri or similar to cut a path for them to take.

Sit where the trail bends so that they approach and turn.  I like to imagine exactly where they are moving from / to and position so that they come on the correct side of me and in a manner that allows me to move just a little.
ChuckC

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
I put a small tree 6-8" in front of me. I face the way I think the deer are going to move. When I see one I have 270 degree view I stand and move.  If the deer is going to the right I slip around to the left only a few inches.  They don't seem to see me.  I'm not easy to hide. You'll find you can draw  fairly easy this way. There is always background cover where I hunt.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
I try to determine the most likely approach (no guarantee when dealing with whitetails). I set up so that this approach is more to my left than straight on. That way, I don't normally need to shift my body very much. I like a tree behind me as well as some brush so my outline does not stand out. When I get lucky on this setup, the trashy no chance for a shot and downwind direction is straight behind me.
Sam

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »
Charlie... follow your instinct brother. I do what you are suggesting. Set up so that I have them coming from behind or quartering from behind. That gives me the most flexibility in setting up for the shot.

Often I chose a tree that is pretty big that I can use to break up my outline then I clear away the ground all the way around the tree so I can stand and maneuver around the tree when possible.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
Charlie J. that is exactly what I have always done. Have plenty of cover in  the direction deer come from. Once they pass, there is less chance of them seeing you draw, and a good quatering shot. You will see your luck change for the better.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »
We have small cedars on our hill sides. I like to back into or trim my way into them. I cannot see or shoot behind me, but that is where my scent is going anyway. In thin cover situations, my Bush in a Bag does a great job filling in the blanks. I always imagine my shot will be slightly going away. It is amazing how often the deer are not on the hill side trails and I need to punt.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
Charlie this may not be conventional but these are the spots I like. In this pic I have a huge ditch to my right. As they cross the ditch I have ample time to ready my bow. When they do come out of the ditch they are either looking forward or looking down hill toward a lake. I have another similar spot that the trail rounds a ridge. 90% of the time when they round it they look down the valley toward danger.

Don't over think your camo or every detail of your spot. Most of the time I sit in wide open oak flats with no camo. Movement at the right time and getting in spots with a consistent wind is the key. Good luck!

This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Charlie, I value your opinion as you understand my hunting styles a little more than everyone else here.

The spot I have in mind right now, you cannot see 5 yards due to the weeds.  There are a no large trees but there is a blow down that's not too far except I feel it would give me a  bad wind.

Here is a picture of the area. I will back into the weeds and clear an area plus add a bunch of brush from the blow down.  Chances are, The deer will be within 10 yards by the time I see them.  The only places I have been able to see deer around here is where visibility is below 20 yards.

Rob, that looks like the family farm and is beautiful However, I do not see deer in spots that are as open around here.  Tried too many times and failed. I value the input about deer focusing the attention elsewhere and think I can use that here.

This buck is headed to a  field where all the deer seem to look as soon as they are in the open.

More focused deer.

I will try and remember my camera to take a  picture of my set up.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Johnny Reb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
I love ground blinds, thinking hard about building a couple from some old fallen trees on my property, figured to stack them log house style, maybe a 6 foot X 6 foot triangle 4 or 5 feet high, weave in some limbs & old burlap to mix it up, clean out the dead leaves & have a quiet hiding place.

ground blinds rule.
It's a twang thang,some people git it, some people dont.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
If possible, set up on the outside of a curve in the deer trail. Just like when we drive our cars, we look ahead as we enter a curve. We want to see what is around the bend and don't really pay much attention to what is to the outside of the curve.

The last few years I have been hunting next to big diameter trees. I kick the leaves away all the way around the tree. When deer are seen approaching I stand and keep the tree between us. Go around the tree if needed to get your shot. I shot my deer last year using this technique.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 05:59:00 PM »
Rob W what seat you sitting on in that pic?

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
Bucky, I'm on Rancho Safari knee pads in that pic.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
Good thread. Lots of good info.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »
some of you guys up north of SC/NC dont have the large palm and palmettos that we have in the south, but they are GREAT to make blinds with as one single palm frond will cover up my entire body. by the time you add Spanish moss and dress em up some it makes for a fast and easy setup. I should take a pic of some of them I have built.

L.R.
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
I have put in a new blind late this spring using some limbs that I had from cutting up some firewood. It is on a small flat overlooking a good trail coming across the creek.

Took a quick look at it the other day after the heavy rains,glad I did........

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©