3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arm slap  (Read 599 times)

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
Arm slap
« on: August 12, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
What issues could cause arm slap. Got a new curve and even at an 8" brace its tearing up my arm. It's got a medium/ high grip, and I shoot 3 under if that has any meaning. Also of note is when bare shafting, the arrows that oughta be correct spine are kicking hard left and going right showing weak. It's worse the harder I catch my arm.  I think its torque on the string but any ideas guys? I've had this before and had to work my way out of it over time by varying my grip and just basically learning to shoot the new bow.

Dave

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arm slap
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
I used to have the same problem. Try holding the grip on the meaty part of your thumb pad, then rotate your bow arm elbow to 9 O'clock (right hand shooter). I began doing this and can now shoot without an arm guard.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
Try opening up your stance a bit if you're very perpendicular to the target.  It helps.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
Also keep a slight bend in the bow arm elbow and keep your bow arm steady.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
going to need pics or video to help with correction.  Sounds like your getting your arm in the way from a hand position problem but without pics we are just guessing.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline archeryprof

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
You mentioned your arrow acting weak.Try a stiffer spined arrow.My experience has been a  too weak spined arrow will cause string slap to the arm.

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
Archeryprof... I was hoping you'd say that as I was only using Velcro for a strike plate and even my fletched shafts are hitting right of normal. The bow is cut 1/8" past center and pretty snappy.

I am gonna build out my plate a bit and see if that helps tonight. I tried my shafts with 225gr up front full length and cut them down 1/4" at a time only to get way shorter than I wanted and yes the arrow marched left on target but not far enuff when cut all the way down. So I started with a stiffer spine same point weight and did same. The bow is at 60lb at my 29" draw and it showed weak as well. Cut it down to see improvement but not enough to hit with fletched shafts. I shot quite a bit bare and fletched and just didnt wanna cut that much off the arrow as I'm a instincta gap shooter.

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
String materials can cause arm slap on some bows (particulary dacron), too much weight on the string can be one cause also, nock too tight,string torque,bow torque,bad form etc...

Offline archeryprof

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
Sounds like you are on the right track.If you can find an arrow that you feel certain is more than sufficient spine for the bow try it and see if that solves the problem .Either way you can eliminate that from the equation.I have found that some bows due to their design or performance might require a different arrow spine than one of similar weight.I am a solid believer in bare shafting as well and I also shoot 3under.I also tie a nockset below the arrow nock to insure the arrow does not slide down upon release which can create all sorts of tuning issues.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
Arm slap for me is always a bow arm/bow hand issue. Too extended, and/or wrong grip; bending my wrist out. I'm sure all suggestions so far are valid also.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©