3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cat whisker material  (Read 1177 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Cat whisker material
« on: August 12, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
I have always made my own silencers from wool yarn and I am looking into buying some bulk cat whisker s silencer material. Through my searching, I found a few different types and need some advice from more seasoned people than myself.  They have silicone, rubber, regular, fine, etc. I am wondering exactly which one of these I am looking for.

Thank you for your help.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cat whisker material
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
This thought comes from a little research that I have done. It looks like the rubber skirts that are used for fishing lures should work well. They come in a variety of colors. You can also select a fine or medium skirting . I would think the fine skirting would work for string silencers.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
I bought a roll of the fine rubber from a fishing lure co. I don't remember which one but it works great and you can make hundreds of silencers from a roll. You could also buy smaller pieces about 4 feet long . They had many different colors.
   I don't remember the name of the company but they sold lure material to fishermen that build their own tackle .

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 10:35:00 AM »
Greg's idea sounds good, or you could just buy a bundle of wool yard at a craft store. Both inexpensive and can be bought in bulk.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tim Finley:
I bought a roll of the fine rubber from a fishing lure co. I don't remember which one but it works great and you can make hundreds of silencers from a roll. You could also buy smaller pieces about 4 feet long . They had many different colors.
   I don't remember the name of the company but they sold lure material to fishermen that build their own tackle .
I buy the skirting from Jan's Net Craft, it wlll last a long time.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
I use the regular round rubber.

Keep in mind the biggest mistake folks make with rubber silencers is leaving them too long.  Too long and they will tangle and/or make their own noise.  All you need is a small, tight ball.  Tied on around the string is best, but it may take a little practice.

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
Daniel, I sent you a pm

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
I use round silicone rubber by Raineys...fly tying stuff in large diameter.  The round silicone rubber stays separated/flared verses the flat rubber which want to tangle.  It's very tough and only need 7-8 strands just tied on the string...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
I usually use wool, but I've also bought the rubber skirting from lure companies. Very inexpensive and they work well for me. What I like to do is use twice as much of it, but trimmed very short so I get a compact, round ball instead of the long strings.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »
I bought some from a fishing lure company,it was like $1.67 for a 5 ft. piece.I bought a couple of different colors that will last me for a long time with about 30 ft. of material.

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by JRY309:
I bought some from a fishing lure company,it was like $1.67 for a 5 ft. piece.I bought a couple of different colors that will last me for a long time with about 30 ft. of material.
I just bought three roll from them...Three 5 1/2 ft rolls for for $10 and change shipped
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
Buying the bulk really saves money. I haven't bought cat packaged whiskers in years.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
Thank you for all the replies guys.

So it seems everyone ties them on? No one puts them between the strands? Anyone have any preference? I have always put wool silencers between the strands, see like it would do better that way, thinking logically.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
I use the round rubber. I've had them on my bows since January and show no signs of wear. Check out Ryan's techique for tying them on on YouTube-works great.(Tying On Catwhiskers) Good Luck!
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
Tying them on looks better, and more importantly they are adjustable when tied on around the string.  Silencers can be tuned just like brace height, and they have a spot where they will work best.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
Yes, put wool between strands.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
Janns Netcraft sells quite a few different colors of round rubberbug legs. I've used them on all my bows for years.

Offline TX FLY CASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
Janns Netcraft has a good supply of skirt material for spinnerbats. Also Hareline Dubbing carries the same materials for fly tying.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
S2 Bowstrings, Ryan Sanapei from Hawaii has a video on putting cat whiskers on. I can't find it in the How To Resources, but it's here somewhere...
Like the others say keep them short. Ryan cuts the pieces 1 1/4" long and ties them on. They are very neat little balls.
Another thread on material listed lurecraft.com/catalog.cfm/living - rubber as a source. I haven't checked it out, but will now.
I need some material myself.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
Jan's Netcraft is a good source. I like to tie a small bunch of the whiskers... lay them on the string like rolling a cigarette then tie in the center very tightly to make them "puff". Then I slide a small bunch of yarn on either side between strands of the string. Push the yarn up tight to the rubber and go huntin'. Best of both worlds.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©