3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Taking Your Broadheads to the Next Level..  (Read 880 times)

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Taking Your Broadheads to the Next Level..
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
Todd
I woodcarve as a hobby so I understand what you're saying. You can't really explain the difference a power strop makes without actually doing it. I sharpen with a 6 in. mill bastard file to start but, finish with the wheel.

You can pick up a wheel, buffing compound or kit from here.    Sharpening  You can also fine a set-up for a hand drill.    Hand Drill Kit  

Jewelers rouge will surely work but, it's made for softer metal like gold & silver. You can get green chromium buffing compound at most hardware stores. It's made for hard steel buffing. This stuff  Dunkle  works better than anything I've ever tried. Either of these will polish much faster and smoother than jeweler's rouge.

Try this like Todd explains and you'll be amazed at the results.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
I'd like this thread to spawn a bunch of threads of different techniques for achieving a hunting sharp edge.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
Normally I get my wife's heads smooth and shaving sharp. Last year she shot two arrows through a year and a half old buck. One was shaving sharp and the other was one that I had resharpened with a a file after it had been test shot into a bale. After field dressing her deer I went back to find her arrows. I was surprised how much edge was left on the file sharpened arrow, it could easily kill another deer, the smooth one that could easily shave had become very dull, both old Bear broadheads. I wonder if metal hardness may determine which sharpening method works best for which head. With my custom tempered and ground single bevel Hills, razor edges hold up on deer hits, but do not seem really any different than the filed edge for good blood trails and penetration than the filed serrated edge. What I see most often with people just learning how to sharpen is thinking that a burr left on the edge is a smooth razor sharp edge,when that burr is gone so is the cutting ability. For them I most often suggest get the KME sharpener or stick to heads that can get sharp with proper file techniques.
I too had a head get away from me with a buffing wheel. Being a classical guitarists things that can hurt my hands are a bit frightening. A bare buffing wheel can be a dangerous thing.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
Some good tips here... Thanks!
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
Very nice!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©