3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SS Snuffers & G5 Montech  (Read 569 times)

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
SS Snuffers & G5 Montech
« on: September 25, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
Anyone using these BH? any feed back Please.

Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: SS Snuffers & G5 Montech
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
G5s are nearly impossible to sharpen and are favored by the high tech 300fps crowd. Only heard good things about the SS Snuffers.

Sorry, I didn't make it on Sunday. I was tired from the elk hunt and wanted to watch the Chargers. Probably should have gone to the range...
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline sar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
The g5s are strong and can be sharpened if you're patient.  I'd want a reasonably high energy bow though, they seem kinda short.

I have some hell razors that look great and are going to tip some of my arrows this year-if you're looking for stainless 3 blades.

you might also look at razorcaps...

Don't know anything about the SS snuffer

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
The Montec is my favorite of the SS 3blades. They are a one-piece head, with no welds like the others. I know the SS Snuffer advertizes a 1 1/8" cut width, but it doesn't have it. The Montec does.
The HellRazor is nice because it comes shaving sharp. A little stropping on leather enhanced it a little for me. It does have welds though, which is just another place for the head to fail.
The Montec is perfectly designed for flight, and if I had to shoot a 3blade, it would certainly be the Montec.
Craig

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »
Thank you for your posts.  Just got off the Phone with the Guys at G5. They informed me that, by the end of the year they will be comming out with a 2 blade again... A note about sharping the Montech. If you lay it flat on a stone the angle is 60 deg ( per G5 ) They said at that the blade angle it's very hard to get a razors edge. G5 goes by the "Rubber Band" test.  Just there input.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
I am not sure what the comments mean regarding the G5s and the high tech crowd...

I shoot them - they are great.  And here is a novel idea, they come sharp and don't need to be machined to use them out of the box.  Who would have thought...

As far as touching up the heads after use or going in and out of the quiver too often, I have a G5 sharpener that keeps the edges nice.

I have also shot some of the supposed more traditional three blades and all of them except the G5s, I have broke and bent the tip.  In fact, now that I think of it, I haven't broke one of montecs.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
I've not had any trouble sharpening a G-5 on a plain old fine Arkansas stone.  The key is to use mild to light pressure.  Keep the stone well oiled.  If you need more than 3-4 minutes to sharpen one you're using to much pressure and/or to little oil and/or your stone is clogged up..
Otto

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
I used the Montecs with my wheelie -BIG HOLE-
I am still using them with my recurve. I like that you can get the practice broadheads and save the sharp ones for hunting.
They are easy to sharpen. I used the 'how-to' on sharpening the woodsman with a file; then went to the G5 diamond sharpener and got a great edge.
 It will still boil down to personal choice. But,I like the G5.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 01:22:00 AM »
Montecs are perfectly good broadheads. They fly well and can be sharpened just as sharp as any other 3blade head using the flat file/stone method. Not having a long sloping angle to the blades could be a concern with lighter bows. Anyway, I think the only reason that you don't hear more about them in trad circles is because they're more associated with the high tech crowd(to which they're mainly marketed). In actuality though,they're really no more high tech than carbon,fiberglass,machined aluminum, etc.. etc.       jmho
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 06:10:00 AM »
It was a VERY tough decision to give my Montecs to my brother for Christmas last year.   :)   I did so because I "switched to trad"... but they were fine BH's - IF you're going multi-blade.
Bow:
62" Bob Lee TD Hunter Recurve: 51# @ 28", Braceheight: 7 3/4"

Bowstring:
Chad Weaver 58.5'' 10-strand DF97 (padded loops); 0.19 HALO serving; rubber silencers & brush buttons

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »
I'm going to use the Snuffer SS this year.  Been spending a few evenings in my "man hole" and getting things sharpened up.  They were ok out of the package, but now they shave with ease.  I'll let you know how they work on the real thing soon....
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »
Thank you for all your inputs.......Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©