3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TO EACH HIS OWN  (Read 425 times)

Offline Florida bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
TO EACH HIS OWN
« on: August 14, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
i want be letting anyone tell me that i need to be shooting a certain style anymore, what works for one person does not mean it will work for the next person,i fully understand that form is important but style is not.. some people gap shoot and do it well, others use the tip of there arrow as a reference point, and this works,ect ect.. no matter what your style the goal is to shoot consistent and accurately and if your style does that for you.....more power to you   :)    :)    :)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TO EACH HIS OWN
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
Consistency!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
your not going to let them tell you???  

How about you just don't listen....

your allowed to have an opinion....so is everybody else.

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
You got to do what works best for you, but I think everyone on this site is trying to do the same thing, help each other out, that’s what it's all about...

Yes sometimes people’s opinions conflict each other’s and sometime we all bump heads, I know I am guilty of that! But remember we are just trying to help, like two4hooking said if you don’t like someone’s opinion you don’t have to listen, sometimes people really do give bad advice but I bet everyone has a few good tip. Correct me if I’m wrong but I can’t recall a great archer that was close minded to other archers opinions and advice?
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »
Florida',
I hear ya, I hear ya.  You're kinda preaching to the choir round here though...is this thread in response to experiences on another forum?  Hehe, I know a few places where anything regarding 'instinctive' is poo-poo'd on pretty bad.  You're either aiming it like a rifle or you're not really shooting.  Around here opinions and advice are welcomed and encouraged.  Dogma of the archery variety is pretty rare.  We're all free to enjoy the sport as we wish.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »
Hey I am not saying I wouldn, t listen to advice what I am saying is that if a certain shooting style is working for me, then why tell me I am shooting wrong, and condem me for shooting that way...I really enjoy advice on form and such..but there are guy, s where I shoot at that say I shoot wrong because I draw aim anchor and release in one fluid motion...but hey it works for me.....?

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
Hmm.  Are they 'accusing' you of snap shooting?  Snap shooting is somewhat controversial.  How does one define how long is long enough at full draw/anchor?  Basically as long as you're coming to your full draw length and at least hitting a solid anchor for a second or two you're probably not snap shooting.  Even if you were, many a deer has probably been taken by the so called 'snap shot' LOL.  I personally don't like holding at anchor for longer than about 2 seconds on average.  I use kind of a swing draw, hit anchor as I'm finalizing my sight picture/focal point, release and pull through and touch my shoulder.  It feels like a fluid motion but is more or less several stages over a short period.  How would you break down your 'one fluid motion'?
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
My thoughts are. .  if you ask for advice, they should try and help, and you should listen, then do as you decide.  If you don't ask, they should shut up and shoot their own arrows.

You will find, however, a lot of folks around that feel the need to tell you how you should be shooting while they themselves are not doing so great.
ChuckC

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
That is the beauty of tradgang. I have never had anyone criticize me, tell what I can or can't do, etc. In today's day and age of arm chair warriors and keyboard security people can and do say what ever they want. I have been on other forums where if the person was standing next to me they would have my foot in the rear end for thier stupid remarks and attitude.
 I have not ever seen that here ever.

All that matters is that you put the arrow where it needs to go. That happens with consistency (as mentioned above). Doesn't matter if you anchor at your nipple and shoot your bow upside down.
 Find what works for you and if you wonder about something, ask. Then take away what you want from the answers.
 This is a great post for the fact that it reminds us all to keep an open mind to all possibilites and we can always learn more.
Thank god this forum and the people here are this way. I learn so much here because here the is no such thing as a stupid question or the "wrong way". Something very rare in a forum this big.

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
2 fingers, 3 fingers, split fingers, 3 under, glove,tab,bare fingers which one of these is right? All of them are for some-body, no single one of them is right for everyone I believe the same is true for shooting styles. If I don't shoot like the next guy I'm not wrong just different.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline BJP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
That's how Fred shot and it worked for him    :archer2:    :archer2:

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
Blasphemy!!! You can shoot your bow your own way but as far as I'm concerned there is only one right way to shoot a bow. Everything else is wrong.    :smileystooges:
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 07:10:00 PM »
I think you need to anchor between you knees, close your dominant eye and drop your bow arm.  Hey it works for that one person someone once mentioned   ;)    :p
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
You shoot with the same rhythm as Howard Hill? How will ever shoot better than Hill if you shoot with the same tempo that he used?
Just kidding, right handed my anchor at best is just a very very slight hesitation.
Left handed it is a definite 1/2 second hold, unless I am planning on releasing instantly.
I shoot about the same accuracy with either hand, so when I am told that I don't hold long enough, I offer to make a wager on shooting moving targets from 18 yards.  I will never get rich doing that, because no one wants to play that game.
What I wonder, Florida Bowhunter, do you mix in some varied draws like a straight back, or a  swing draw, or a spread draw or a combination? Not telling anyone what to do, but as a ground hunter, I find that actual draws on game are always a bit different every time.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 01:27:00 AM »
Yes sir Pavan I do mix things up as far as drawing goes, swing draw, draw straight back hit anchor release.....etc but most of the time I swing up while drawing my bow hit anchor release and my finger touches my shoulder

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »
Florida

The best thing about this site is you get responses based on years of experience. It is experience from people who have years and years of field work. Take the advice, chew on it and glean from it what you will. But don't ignore it, I guarantee you will miss out.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
Wish I could shoot that method Florida but I guess it's just not in my DNA.  Some of my friends draw and release very quickly and although I could probably out shoot them on targets, they almost always shoot better than I do on small game. They probably shoot better than I do on big game also, don't know. I sure wouldn't tell you to change anything.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 04:48:00 PM »
it's all good, do whatever works best and is most consistent.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
Snap shooting? I prefer to call it multi-tasking.

Draw, aim, anchor and release in one slick move. Works just fine!

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »
I agree, there are certain principles of Archery that will always be the same, but it is by the same tune a very personable thing. We are all built different, different restrictions and different vision and life experiance.  apply the principles, be consistant and have fun.  I only address and issue if I think someone will hurt themselves as I did to a gentleman few years back.  He didn't listen and payed for it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©