3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats your kill distance  (Read 1038 times)

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats your kill distance
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
12 yards for me. I would like to get consistent to 18 yards or so. Going to take some work.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »
I've killed hundreds of fish this year ranging from right under my feet out to 22-23 yards. I've not taken a mammal YET.

I only started shooting traditional equipment about 4 years ago...and then it was just in a piddling fashion. I became dedicated on Jan. 1st 2013. I practiced daily. I felt that I was very confident at 15 yards and under. After missing a few deer last year that confidence went out the window.

I started out being steered in the wrong direction about every aspect of this as one could be steered. I finally found this site and got my equipment tuned correctly. Thanks so much to everybody here!

Since then I've dealt with target panic, finger pinch, all kinds of form problems, shoulder injury issues...you name it. Some days I've been on top of the world shooting, other days I can't dig out to see the light of day.

Archery is kinda like marriage...it takes dedication and WORK. It doesn't come easy for me. But I'm dedicated and I'm not going anywhere.

All that rambling aside...all the deer I killed with wheels were under 20 yards (null and void statement here, just saying I like to get close).

I practiced out to 15 yards last year but all the deer seemed to be around 20, I over compensated and shot high every time. This year my go to practice shot from the ground is 22 yards. I'm feeling pretty good about that. Then I shoot elevated from 20 yards. I'm also feeling good with that.

I still mix it up and shoot close too pretty often. I desperately want to get that first kill under my belt this season. I think all the bowfishing I've done has helped me (all though, at one time, I had my doubts). As long as I pick my spot and push like hell at it with my bow hand, I'm usually pleasantly surprised with the shot placement...both on fish and targets now.

We will see how it goes    :pray:

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »
I can't go back and figure it all out for an average. I have killed elk from 5 ft. to 50 yards. Most of them around 15 yards after being called in  though. Deer have been from 90 yards stepped off but downhill considerably making it a 50 yard trajectory to 10 feet. All my animals were in the west and all taken from the ground. I would say average would be 20 to 25 yards though.
My last elk was about 7 yards.
God bless, Steve

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
17/18 yards and under. Not to close but not to far.   :wavey:

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
20 yards and under.  That is where I am most confident.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2014, 11:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by aim small...release:
How far are you comfortable takeing a shot on an animal anf whats your ideal distance. 20 yds is about my max and about 12yds is perfect for me!
40 yards, anything up to that is perfect as long it is a clear shot.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »
I like to be able to spit on em first.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
I have taken game out to 30/35 yards, but the majority have been 3-10 yards.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2014, 04:56:00 PM »
15 yards and under

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2014, 04:56:00 PM »
25 yards or less for deer.

35-40 yards for Elk after a huge amount of practice.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »
15-20 yard is my max depending on how alert the deer is and the shot angle. That said most of my shots are pretty close 8-13 yards, but I have also killed a small hog running at 23 yards. I would never repeat that shot but it felt right at the time, and I made it happen.
James Kerr

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2014, 12:15:00 AM »
30 or a bit farther. Most of my coyotes are about 20yards or so. Some things  just will not give you that close shot.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Liquid Courage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
I have always hunted in north Ga and never shot a deer over 30 yards due to visibility and objects in the way. I practice btwn 10 yards and 25 yards on a small woodland buck 3d target and I feel confident in that range.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
In a tree stand I regularly practice out past 35.  Now that is not saying i would shoot one at that.  

My dilemma is that I know I can make that shot all day, i just don't know where the deer would be by the time the arrow got to him.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
I've hit the kill on an elk target out to 165 yds...took me 5 shots to do it, and I won't say I could do it again in 5 shots.

Won the deer and turkey targets at the KY Tradfest this year, shooting at the deer at around 100 yds and the turkey at around 75...but again, took more than a couple of arrows to hit either one.

On live animals...depends on the situation.  The closer the better.  I've killed critters from a few feet (deer) out to 25yds or so (red fox)...and I've passed on lots of shots in-between.

Offline Red Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
15 to 20 yards. Prefer under 15

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »
My max is 20 yards but I prefer under 15 yards.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline koops4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
Max would probably be just over 20 yards or so depending on how it feels.  I would prefer to keep shots on all game animals to under 15 yards or so.  Like was said earlier, it all depends on each particular situation.
Paul

Offline Spookinelk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
I'm confident out to my point on distance of about 35 yards on elk. My shots are actually a little more accurate between 25 & 35 if I know the yardage because the sight picture of my arrow point is in the animal at these ranges. My goal over the past 5 years has been to extend my effective range for elk hunting, if you asked me a few years ago 20 yards would have been about it.
Bighorn 62", 58@ 29"
Hoyt Excel 66" 52@ 29"
Martin X-200 60" 48@ 29"
3 old Herters heirlooms

Offline coyote30

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
20 is my max currently. 10 to 15 is even better.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©