3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting accuracy after dark? Updated!  (Read 541 times)

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting accuracy after dark? Updated!
« on: August 14, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
Last evening my grand-daughter and I were shooting until "dark". I had cut the bottom out of a 10 oz. foam cup and had used a straightened paper clip to attach it to my mostly black block target.

When it got too dark to see my arrow shaft in my peripheral vision... my accuracy greatly improved. I wonder if it was because the arrow shaft was no longer visible, and so, was not a "distraction"? I always thought I used the arrow, at least subconsciously, as an aiming reference (pointing with it).

Anyone else ever experience this?
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting accuracy after dark? Updated!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
simple pick a spot when shooting in the daylight ,, train your eye to pick a spot , when getting dark you are forced to pick a spot, my 2 cents worth
Gord

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 10:38:00 AM »
Yes, that's the way it works for me.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
Less distractions is very likely.  Your brain is probably causing you to automatically use better form to compensate for less reference points and due to less distractions.  That is my bet.  Your brain is relying on prior information as to what feels right to make the shot.  Hence the improved accuracy.  I have noticed as long as I can still see the outline of my bag target I can still shoot halfway decent even after sundown.  When I can't easily make out an outline its time to quit.  I apply this in the woods.  If I won't be able to clearly see the animal's silhouette its time to head back to my car.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
I think I remember Bill Langer saying something about using a laser dot to shoot at in total darkness.

I believe I will give that a try tonight. I find this to be very interesting.

Thanks for the replies.
WVBA Member

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
Let me know your findings.  I'm not sure if that will work due to pretty much zero reference whatsoever.  I have read a few posts over the years of guys who were great shooters totally blowing the burning candle experiment in total darkness.  I mean if its pitch black.  If there's just enough light to still use your depth perception/ unconsciously judge distance it may work.  Good luck and report back.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
I think its a good test for "instinctive" shooting.   I think a lot of people who think they pay no attention to the shaft/riser/point will be surprised at how bad they shoot in the dark.  

Or at least I was....

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
I think it is a twin edged sword.  You still need to see the rest of the story for your mind to aim it.  How far away, the angles, etc etc.  Total dark does not allow for this.
ChuckC

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
I shoot instinctive and shoot very well in the low light,even dark if I have a nice point to focus on... A lighted nock in the target works well for this or white on black line you experienced. To me the less distractions the better, and my intense focus translates to better accuracy. Indeed, if you use the arrow or gap for reference you won't likely improve accuracy in the low light/dark...

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by nineworlds9:
Let me know your findings.  I'm not sure if that will work due to pretty much zero reference whatsoever.  I have read a few posts over the years of guys who were great shooters totally blowing the burning candle experiment in total darkness.  I mean if its pitch black.  If there's just enough light to still use your depth perception/ unconsciously judge distance it may work.  Good luck and report back.
There was enough light to aid in depth perception. I could even make out the black block target, just not well enough to actually "pick a spot". The white foam showed up well though.

Thanks for the replies... and I will post my experiment results tonight.
WVBA Member

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
A lot of people claim to shoot well in the dark... at five yards or so. Take it out to 30 yards and you'll find out even instinctive shooter rely on seeing the arrow.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
Not so much the arrow as the whole big picture.  You see it, sure, but the whole picture is needed to make a good shot.
ChuckC

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
Ive been shooting after dark. I have a bag target painted black with a black rubber truck bed liner mat hanging behind it. I have a small white nerf ball hanging about 6 inches in front of the bag on a string. After dark I can only make out the ball without the bag beinglit up. The laser pointer is a good idea. Ive got on somewhere just have to find it.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
For practical hunting practice shoot at a dark brown deer target in the dark and see how you do. You can't pick a spot at all and have no aiming point.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »
Update: My purpose in this was not to create a "hunting practice situation". I do that by shooting 3D targets from time to time.

The purpose was to attempt to understand why I seemed to shoot so much better when I could not see my arrow in my peripheral vision.

I've been struggling with photobucket and can't seem to get my pics posted as I had hoped.

I shot at 15 and 30 yards during a time when I could see well. I shot several groups of 6 and took several pics. I picked out my best groups and renamed the pics accordingly.

Next I set up my laser pointer to be on continuously and set it up on a concrete block at 15 yards from the target. I adjusted the height to point at the bottom of the foam circle (best I could do).

When it got very dark... I went out and shot a few groups at 15 yards. I could not see the white foam, only the red laser dot. However, the foam seemed to reflect the red into a circle. At 15 yards the circle looked to be about 3" diameter. At 30 yards it appeared to be about 6" in diameter to my eyes. I wear contacts... don't know if that made a difference.

My conclusions:
I definitely shot better groups at 30 yards when I could NOT see my arrow. The 15 yard groups were not significantly better... but were definitely AS GOOD as in good light.

I'll probably play around some more with this... JUST FOR FUN.

I am not trying to prove anything with this very unscientific experiment. Like my handle says... I shoot for fun.
WVBA Member

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
For practical hunting practice shoot at a dark brown deer target in the dark and see how you do. You can't pick a spot at all and have no aiming point.
I absolutely agree. That is when it is tough picking a spot... when you have to define it in your mind.

Thanks for the comment.
WVBA Member

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 01:59:00 AM »
Great topic!
I shoot at night in pitch black darkness at 3d targets with no back stops in the woods (live in the woods). You have to project a spot with your mind. I cant see the arrows in flight or in the target. But always smile when i turn on the flashlight and walk down to the target and see my groups.
  To make it really cool use a luminok or lighted nock. I have buddies over and we have total darkness 3d shoots at my house with luminoks. Lots of fun and amazing how great you can shoot by just projecting a spot on the almost unidentifiable 3d deer target at 35 yards.
  I started doing this practice many years ago to get ready for my first bear hunt. I figured it would be dusk and a black bear at dusk means no spot to pick. Worked like a champ and that bear is a life size mount in my den. Shot him with 6 minutes of legal light left in a thick nasty dark swamp. That training was huge in the confidence i needed to take that shot.
It also helps alot for winter hunting with snow on the ground. Deer at dusk with all white background  are basically silhouettes. So learning how to project a spot is a huge advantage.
 Great topic again!  Keep at it and glad to see you having fun with it.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 07:55:00 AM »
I was out shooting last night after dark.  I have a spotlight set up to light up my target.  If I am in front of the light I can see the arrow in the sight picture.

If I move back behind the light I lose a lot of the picture.

I shoot at wiffle practice golf balls on my bales and hit the golf ball 3 out of 8 shots.  Called it good and went inside.

Shots were from 15-35 yards.

It is easy to get in the habit of using the arrow as a reference.  I work hard to focus soley on the spot.  It may not be the best for target shooting or longer ranges, but I feel it is the best method for my up close and personal hunting style.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
Just because YOU can't.... doesn't mean Others Can't.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »
I made this shot a couple of year ago....right in front of 6 compounders....100 yards at midnight....instinctive.

Needless to say, it blew their minds, and one bowyer got an order for 6 bows because of it...I'm not even kidding...

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©