3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve length question  (Read 391 times)

Offline Liquid Courage

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve length question
« on: August 15, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
I have a Blacktail Elite TD on order and I have plenty of time to change the specs. I am between a 64" and a 66" bow length. I have a 29" draw. Any reason to go to 66" or not to? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
Re: Recurve length question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
I went from,60" to 64" and love the extra smoothness and went from finger pinch to barely any. I would have tried a 62 if I could have but am more then happy with 64"
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline Liquid Courage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
I am figuring on it being smoother. Better be for the price lol. I am sure for the build quality and added length it will be smoother than my 62" hunter.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
Longer recurves just seem to shoot so much smoother/quieter, are more forgiving of less than perfect release. I shoot them better than shorter ones. I also hunt with 66 to 70 inch longbows so the length isnt an issue...........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
I talked with Norm about this over two years ago and went with his suggestion of a 66" Blacktail. Could not be happier. I have read that some believe performance suffers with longer bows, but that has not been my experience with Blacktails. My draw is slightly longer and 64" might work for you, but Norm would be the one to talk.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
The longer you go the more smooth draw sensation you'll gain but I feel energy storage/efficiency will go down some.  Maybe not measurable without a chrono.  I think the 64" would be plenty long especially if you're not doing a very high draw weight.   Not quite sure why these Blacktails have to be so long LoL.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »
I have the 64" Blacktail and have a 30" draw.I have no complaints with the 64" it is smooth drawing.Out of curiosity I am planning on getting another pair of limbs at 66"

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
I have a 60" VL 53#, and have no complaints, but I wouldn't mind it being a little longer. We get caught up sometimes with the short bow thing being more maneuverable, but really how much could two inches at either end really matter- except in a tight blind. In a tree stand, if I could not maneuver a 64" or 66" I doubt a 60" would be much better. I could be wrong though.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Liquid Courage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I also realized sitting here that I need to check the actual draw weight of my Hunter. I have seen posts that they can very 5-10#'s from the stated draw weight. I wanted to get a slightly lighter bow than my Hunter without having to completely change arrows, maybe more forward weight to tune but not a spine change. I like the 2219 legacy arrows 31" and they shoot beautifully with 200 grains up front from the hunter. Maybe the same draw weight(60#) will be smoother and "feel" lighter out of the Blacktail. Decisions.....

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »
I have shot plenty of 58" to 70" recurves in my day. I can deal with a 64 just fine, but will take 66 or even 68 any day for me.
Different for everyone. My buddy shoots a 56" bow and loves it. I cant do it.
David M. Conroy

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
Longer is definately smoother and more forgiving.  I had my PCH widow made with a short riser but with longer limbs, it is 60"s, and draws like butter with no finger pinch.  I had an MAII that I bought used that was a 64" bow 55#s @ 30", I only draw around 27-27 1/2" so it made that bow 46-47#s at my draw and it was super smooth,so I tried to match that when I had my PCH made and have been very happy with it, and can shoot a fairly wide variety of arrows out of it.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
I had a 64" Brackenberry and still have a 64" Zipper, I draw 29" and both bows were and are great. Seem to be less critical of a bad release or an error in form.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
I have a 64 Blacktail that I love and ordered a 66 I also have a 31.5 inch draw
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »
I shoot right at 32" and don't have any trouble shooting 64" bows so it's simply a matter of preference!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Kanwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 11:59:00 PM »
I shoot a 62" black tail at 29" and it's fine. I have shot 66" bows most of the time and have no trouble in the field.  You can't go wrong either way.
Black Canyon Longbow 62" 60lbs
Blacktail Recurve 62" 55lbs - 29"
Assenheimer 66" 63lbs - 29"
G 21:20 God was with the lad. He lived in the wilderness and became an archer.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
I am not sure anyone makes a smoother drawing bow that a Hunter...all you really need is a bow that will replicate the force draw curve of the Hunter, which I would have to say my 64 inch Blacktail does...if the 62 inch Hunter works for you why would you think you need more than 64 inches with the Blacktail

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Liquid Courage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
I have to laugh a little (at myself) due to the price difference btwn a Martin Hunter and a Blacktail and my own justification of spending $1300 on a bow. I see in different forums everyone saying how smoooth shooting the Hunter is. I am hoping that going with a longer length will beat the hunter to some noticable, justifiable extent for my own sanity. Of course the beauty and craftsmanship of a Blacktail bow is the main reason I chose to order one. If it shoots as nice as the hunter, but looks twice as good in the end I will be happy with it.

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
I have a 30 in draw and shot 64 in Blacktails for many years. I shot them really good and loved them. Then I tried a 66 in and I will say that I liked it even better. It is hard to describe the difference but it does seem a bit more forgiving in the sense that you simply point and the arrow is there. For those who think you will lose performance, Norm explained that his design is different for the longer lengths and if anything the performance increases. I have proved that to be true with my 66 inch bow.

If you are interested in slightly shorter, try the Sitka which shoots super smooth and is in my opinion a touch faster and quieter. It has a shorter riser but maintains the long limbs. I am now shooting a 62 in SItka and it is awesome!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
I am primarily a long bow shooter and don't shoot my recurves a lot. But when I do, my 58" and longer recurve bows do seem smoother.
Sam

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
I like longer bows, they shoot smoother. My  Maddog is 64" and my draw is only 27.5.  I would go 66" for your draw length. Either way you're good.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©