3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rattling???  (Read 289 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
Rattling???
« on: August 15, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
Anybody have any luck rattling while ground hunting??Had luck while treestand hunting and you can spot them sneaking in,but on the ground I think they would bust you easier????
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rattling???
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
Yeah, I've had some success calling them in, but I do get busted a lot. It's kinda like turkey hunting, you need to know when to quit "calling".
Sam

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
I have done it, but never the success part … called in lots of smaller bucks and it gets pretty exciting but the actually shooting part is difficult to accomplish without getting busted.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
I rattled one in to about 15 yards. Waited for him to turn his head away before the shot. I've rattled in others but that one came the closest. I had set up on a known trail in a saddle. I knew deer might move above me or out in front where the terrain falls away to the river. I had a good view of the ridge and the hollow down to the river. I started at first light and tried a sequence every 20-30 mins. Weather was 32 with leaves falling no wind, just the thermal current which could have gotten me busted. From this location I began seeing deer moving on the ridge and down below soon after the first 2 sequences. When I could see the buck (100 yds) I threw in some grunts and raked the brush lightly and put them away and just waited. I was counting on a deer using the trail I was set up on. Try it it is a blast!
Member NCBA

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
Oh yeah I was backed up to a huge oak with a few other trees grouped around it. No blind. Air currents in that stand are in your favor until the sun sets then the cooler air will retreat down the hollow.
Member NCBA

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
Whether you take the deer or not, it is worth trying. They will know exactly where you are even if they have to come around an obstacle to get there.

They also expect to see some movement, so you can usually get a shot. I think a ghillie and some antlers would be a potent combo last week of Oct and first week of Nov!!

Try to set up where they can't approach from downwind,like with an open field downwind from you, but they will also come in from an open field!

Great fun regardless....   :bigsmyl:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
Best way to do it if possible is the buddy system,one guy rattling,the other guy shooting. Then when you both get busted you have some"buddy" to talk about it with!

Good Shooting,
                                                                       Craig

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
I know it works in south Texas but only during the rut.  We call it down there the magic moment.
Here is one of my favorite videos on rattling in south Texas.

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
I plan on trying a Rattle and move tactic this year. Set up where I anticipate the shot and back off for the rattling. Thinking along a creek so they don't cross my track.

I have rattled a few in but they always hang up. I gave up rattling in a tree unless the antlers are tied to a string.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »
I like to rattle. Usually a good chance to stand up and stretch the legs, kick around some leaves to add some realism. Have had bucks come in on the charge, and others very cautious. Don't know that it has ever hurt to try.

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 12:38:00 AM »
Yes I've had luck. But I have had much more success with grunting
I love Bow Hunting

Offline TX FLY CASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 12:41:00 AM »
We rattle all the way through season here . During the pre-rut and rut we see great response. Mixed success later in the season but I have rattled them in well into Dec. I find it better to rattle with a partner. Shooter set up in good cover close to expected travel route and the caller down about 15yds and behind you. I have tried alone and when they come in they are looking right where the horns are. Makes it tough to get a shot. With a partner they normally come past the shooter and key into the callers locaton.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 02:05:00 AM »
I have rattled up and killed two good bucks but it was with a gun. Early season I use a rattle bag and just simulate tickling the horns. Pre rut I get loud with it. I have also had good luck using a True Talker grunt and the Can by Primos with rattling. Many bucks come in down wind and that's usually what gets me busted unless there is no wind. Then you have a good chance at a shot.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
I mainly treestand hunt but every buck I've ever rattled in I was on the ground. I have never got a shot at one but have had a couple young bucks and two pretty good older bucks within 20 yards, I'm sure one day it will all come together.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
My only successful rattling experience came on Veteran's Day. About 7:20 AM, I had a small portable hang-on stand about 5-6 ft off the ground because I was on the edge of two connecting sloughs with no bigger trees available.

There was tall grass all around me so the stand height got me up high enough to see a little into the grass.

A series of rattling, I heard what I thought was another hunter walking through the grass- vey noisy. Finally I saw the 4X5 rack coming and he passed by me at about 12 -15 yards towards a field.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 09:20:00 AM »
I have had really good luck. But I never rattled in a mature buck befor only younger deer. But then again I hunt public land in PA.  There something special about starting a calling sequence during a cold, crunchy November day durning the peak of rut...
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline coyote30

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 04:44:00 PM »
I have not had much luck rattling here in michigan. Our buck to doe ratio is not very good.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©