3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Squirrels!  (Read 339 times)

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Squirrels!
« on: August 16, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
Squirrel season started yesterday in Indiana.  Took the kids out this morning.  We had a blast, but no squirrels were seen though several leaves became intended targets!  Did notice a rock that sorta looked like an arrowhead and saw a nice sized water spider.

This year the mast crop is super thick, but hasn't ripened yet to the squirrels tastes.  We only saw where they'd sampled a few acorns or hickory nuts.  Going to be some fat animals this fall!  Anyone else's season come in?

Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Squirrels!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
Squirrel season came in today in Ky.but it's still a little early for the mast crop.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
Squirrels are working the hickories pretty hard here...  
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
the season opened here in may & runs to the end of february

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
Looks like a  good way to spend the day with the kids.   :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
They are cutting hickory over here in the south eastern part of the state. I have seen a bunch here in the last two mornings. Looks like you had a pretty good morning even without the squirrels.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
Our Squirrel season doesn't open until Sep.1st here in NY, but the mast crop is looking good this year and I always love to hunt squirrels during my deer scouting foray's.One of my favorite game animals to pursue and great table fair! Sounds like you had a great day with the kids......fantastic!!!   :clapper:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
It was a fun time minus the chiggers lol!  We found one hickory tree last night that they were hammering.  It's been raining most of the day today so we made breakfast sausage and snack sticks are about done.  Yum!

Member:

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
Doesn't star there in Michigan until Sept. 15th, acorns are looking good in my area, and have several bushtails running around just teasing me at the bird feeders.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline GunnySgt.Everett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
Man I haven't hunted squirrel with a bow since I was just a boy. Hmmmm...... think I may just add that to the short to do list. Heck I was in Afghanistan shooting rodents a month ago, but nothing as fun as hunting bushytails. Sounds like a blast.
After 25 years in the Marine Corps and multiple deployments there is nothing that can provide a man peace of mind like sitting in a tree stand as the sun comes up as you watch Bucks chasing does. Tends to put everything into perspective for a man.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
Squirrels have been in the hickory by my house since last week, also cutting the red oak acorns. Our season starts in Oct. Most of the hickories will be gone by then.
Member NCBA

Offline PaulRoberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
Great photo. What a wonderful outing. Those are lucky children.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
Plan on doing a trip this weekend here in Kansas.

I figure a scouting trip with a target never hurts. LOL

bretto

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
Now thats teachin 'em the good stuff ! Took my 7 year old grandson sat morning and he shot at his first squirrel with a .22, but the little guy missed. He was bummed, but he'll get one before season is up.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 07:10:00 AM »
Great pic and great looking kids.
Those memories wont be lost (believe me)
Every drizzly sept day I remember walking in the woods with my father.
Even if I lose my mental faculties one day, some nurse will ask "whats he smiling about"
Ill be thinking of those days with dad.

Squirrels are the most under rated game.
I think most people (if truthful) would say they would rather be squirrel huntin.
We all get wrapped up in chasin bigger critters.
Good post
Slickhead

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
Slickhead, squirrels are without a doubt one of my favorite animals to hunt!  Not real easy with a bow this time of year. ( I ain't Charlie Lamb!). But later in October when they're on the ground gathering it's a lot more fun!  Usually though I'm up in a tree or hunkered behind a bush that time of year!  Sometimes I just can't stand it though and go after them anyway!

Member:

Offline huronhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
George , my mountain fiest is a squirrel hunting nut. Can't wait to get him out there!

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
I wish we. Puls do that. Every year see these threads. Pa we can't go out for squirrel till mid October. What a great way to get out, stomp around, shoot and scout! Thanks for pics
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »
Cute little scouts you have there     :thumbsup:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
RedShaft,
I'm very surprised your squirrel season starts so late. From a biological standpoint there is nothing wrong hunting squirrels beginning in mid-August. Yes they have a mid-summer litter and another in the winter. But seasons timed mid-August and ending in February from KY north do no harm.

You folks are missing some prime time (hickory cutting) squirrel hunting. I love to hunt them in August before deer season begins on the 1st Saturday in September. Once deer season starts I hang up squirrel hunting until winter.

Frankly, with the light hunting that squirrels get these days, seasons probably aren't even necessary.

I spent 30 years in wildlife management. Unfortunately some wildlife agencies, often because of lay-pressure (wive's tales), get stuck in pre-science ruts.

I'd be willing to bet a regulation like this was set based upon mosquito and frost dates.  Some folks don't want to be "allowed" in the woods when it is uncomfortable (too hot, too cold, or bugs). I say arrange the seasons to provide the most opportunity without risking the resource. If a fellow doesn't like mosquitoes let him stay home but don't keep the rest of us on the couch with him.  Sorry, for this rant but I heard about heat and mosquitoes when we moved the KY deer (archery) opener from its traditional Oct 1st to the 1st Saturday in September. Works great!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©