3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting the edge hunting public land  (Read 480 times)

Re: Getting the edge hunting public land
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
In Iowa some private land is busier than public land. Iowa hunters would rather drive within a few yards of their stands.  On the public land there is a problem with hunters putting stands up at all possible access paths, where they can look back and see where they parked.  A few do not know the law and act like they own the area that they put their stands, they do not even own the stand when it is left on public land. The wind will make no difference to other hunters, they will go to their stands no matter which way it is blowing. There have been a couple of cases where a certain few actually thought that they had the right to kick people off of public land because they claimed control of it because of their tree stands, ignore them.  
Always keep the option of being able to move on public land. I have often had the best laid plans disrupted by others coming in on me. Most hunters put tree stands in obvious trees, if you can hunt areas that do not have good tree stand opportunities, you may have the area to yourself as a ground hunter. Deer seem to know the areas that have a lot of tree stands and avoid them. You may have to walk past some setup on the access paths on your way to areas that are just waiting for a ground hunter, carry a flashlight in low light conditions. You do not want anyone hunting in the dark to draw a compound back when they hear you coming hoping it a is deer.
Sometimes hunting in the mornings during week days is a way to avoid crowds, but if there has been any big buck sightings, expect to get over run with many hunters on any given day. Around here there are numerous hunters just riding around scouting every night and not hunting. They are all hoping to see a big one. When they do, the word gets out and where a big one was spotted everyone moves in on that spot. Even though the big boy may have only been spotted because he was spooked by some other hunter riding around and in and out of fields looking for a big deer.
By November if you have a low area with thick brush and few trees, away from the roads, stick to it.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
The Wensels talk about doing pushes where they drive to one side of a woodlot, "pushing" deer to the other side, and placing the hunters in stands, then driving around to the other side and "pushing" the deer back.

Not all of us can do that exactly, but you can sort of use that scheme allowing others to "push" the deer to you, if you plan it well.  You need to know the deer habits as well as the local hunters habits for that trick.
ChuckC

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
Where I am allowed to debone or break down the deer, I will, but my state, and all the states I have lived in all required the entire carcass, minus viscera to be turned in for checking.
ChuckC

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
The best advise I can give is look at maps and scout scout scout. I don't hunt public land often but I spend a lot of time in the summer looking at maps and waking behind closed gates just to get exercise and past the time during the off season . The few times I go a always have a few places in mind to hunt. If there is a truck parked where I want to go I just go to another places that I know can be productive.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
I study Google maps. I found a pinch point on one piece of public land that is the best spot I ever found for deer hunting. This area has two vertical walls that are about 20 ft. high. It is about 10 yards between them. Talk about a pinch point. There was a trail beat down to bare dirt where deer were funneling thru this spot to get to a big oak flat that also has a creek running thru it. The area they come from is a good thick bedding area. Text book to say the least.I can hunt on top of one of the vertical walls and be 20 ft. high above game like hunting out of a treestand. I only got to hunt this place one time cause I found it the last week of the season. I missed a good buck the only day I hunted it. I am looking forward to hunting it this year.

Another thing I like to do is hunt areas that aren't in close proximity to the parking areas. Walk down the road or have a buddy drop you off. These areas get very little hunting pressure as most people go in from the parking areas. Field and Stream just did a story on this very tactic.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
For years I wondered where the deer were on a parcel of public land I would frequent. the sign was plentiful but the deer sighting were scarce. So one day I picked up and scouted the private land adjacent to the public. Yep the deer were bedded along a fence tight to the public land, with the wind in their favor, they could sit tight all day and sniff out all of the hunters till night. The only way to get a chance was to try to intercept them before they moved off the public land. Let's just say they keep winning the battle ever year. Drives me nuts to know how close they are.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
One of the things I do is an honest evaluation of the public land I plan to hunt. I put some miles on the jeep hunting areas that are not nearby. I realize not everyone has that option.

Public or private, I pay attention to how I access. I have a canoe and enjoy hunting with it.
However, I use my hip boots far more often. Anytime I can cover ground and not leave a scent trail the better.

As far as mature whitetails I don't believe anything trumps hunting areas where other hunters have not been. They just will not tolerate human presence. A very under appreciated aspect of ground hunting is the opportunity to hunt areas others would rather not hunt.

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
I have also found that deer have a high tolerance for noise when they have to. I have bumped some nice bucks hunting in town right next to the interstate. Semi trucks constantly going by. The areas next to the road is often the thickest due to more sun.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »
I've hunted public land only for about the last 30yrs. All types, big tracts, small, special pay areas, quota, etc. and have come to like the real big tracts like National Forest or big acreage WMA open for everyone.

It's easier to get away from the crowd in these areas. I've had my best luck in overlooked spots like right next to major campsites, 7 mile bike ride back in closed to vehicle areas. Real thick, grown up areas you have to snip your way into through thick briers. Deep wading back into swamps looking for hammocks and hardwoods. Right up alongside major hwys on areas with no entrance except through main gates. Real steep ridges, about 3 of them back and just areas that don't look appealing for deer that most other hunters will walk on by.

Main thing I consider is only way to get game out is to pack it. I haven't seen another human in the 6 yrs I've hunted the areas I hunt in Shawnee National Forest.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 12:00:00 AM »
Late December thru February meticulous scouting may provide a most advantageous edge.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
Most hunters are creatures of habit. We've been conditioned over the years to hunt the early morning hours and the late afternoon ones.

On heavy pressure public ground try hunting from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m.  You might be surprised.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »
For me the past few seasons it has been without a doubt the biggest thing. And that's hunting close to the parking areas and roads.
I been on the deep excursions and so does everyone else. I started hunting close and started seeing more deer and bucks. No lie. Give it a try. Hard to do I know but man has it worked very well past two season for me and my dad.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
Most of what I have found and do has already been said.  I have had great whitetail and turkey success from hunting only public land the last 15 years.  I have came up with some rules that seem to have worked out for others I have help come up hunting.

1. Scout- After season is all over and you hang up your bow, get down your hiking boots.  This is the time to get out and pattern deer behavior for all area you hunt and even check out new area.  Effort and recording information now is priceless.  Thank Gene Wensel for this one long time ago.

2. Ariel scout- no not plane, use topo maps, and understand the true lay of the land.  I find this a great exercise in the "lull" to help me picture in my mind what it looked like in fall and will be in spring.
If more people do the above be more successfull, and minimize "alerting deer" for all.
3. Preseason scouting- I will go into the area and scout around in august or first week september.  Just to see what patterns are looking like and compare to my late findings, I will have two to three spots picked out, just in case there is another hunter there before me.
4. Once season opens- I play the wind, especially on entering and leaving, I think alot of hunters forget this part.
5. Use hunters- other hunters will change deer patterns, know this and use it to your advantage, worked for me more than once, and leads to.
6. Hunt game not tree's!  I love hunting out of a stand, the view is great.  But, longtime ago I learned if no good tree then the ground it is.

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
I agree with the go farther/longer approach but I have found that there is some great Public Land that very few hunt because of difficult terrain factors. The biggest being rough terrain. I have some public land where I rarely see another hunter and there are some "Old Gnarly Bucks" in there.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2014, 12:07:00 AM »
Jered...utilize waterways whenever you can. A lot of times a nice public parcel stretches across a river. And oftentimes can be surrounded by private land on the other side. Get a Flatbottom,or canoe,and capitalize on such locations. I have found a few that are bordered by non-hunting property owners that have good deer passing through. Use your head in all matters trespassing wise. I do as I see fit. Right or wrong. Be cautious,and enjoy a good strategy. Use Google Earth,and plot maps,as guides to enable you to lands you never realized before that hold good game.  And keep it to yourself.    rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©