3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spokane  (Read 458 times)

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
Spokane
« on: August 16, 2014, 08:02:00 PM »
So, over the years I've relied on some great info from you guys in my never ending quest to finally move out west. I'm in the medical field and my specialty is pretty darn small so my options are always limited. Anyhow, things haven't worked out yet but I'm still hopeful to find the right mix of healthcare and open space. No jobs on the forefront in Spokane now, but I'm liking what ive heard so far, so I was wondering what you all think. Seems like a pretty awesome location geographically, but was wondering what someone who has lived there or spent significant time there might think about it. Stuff like cost of living, property taxes, crime rates(general quality of life stuff). Of course that's all secondary to hunting, and fishing opportunities   :D  
Thanks in advance, Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spokane
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
There's a forum here on Trad Gang for the     Traditional Bowhunters of Washington   (Happen to know this 'cuz we're thinking about heading back to the we(s)t side of the state.)  Might be a place to start.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 12:16:00 AM »
If it were me I would work in Spokane but live in Idaho. Feel free to PM me for more info. if you would like.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
I prefer Coeur d' Alene to Spokane...but have only lived in Cd'A. Its about a 25 minute drive between the 2.
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
Thanks for the help fellas. I'll drop u a pm tonight Jesse. I'll also post this over in the Washington section...and Idaho too if there is one. Very convenient that they are that close.
Thanks again
Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »
Toecutter, I moved to Spokane (Medical Lake, 20 miles SW of Spokane) in 1978, All I can say is I LOVE IT HERE.

Hunting and Fishing is great, Cost of living, Im a Bowyer, No matter where I live, Not going to live the live of Ritz..lol. Very little crime in M.L.,Never lock my house, But I have a 230# Great Dane also.

Feel free to give me a call Nathen. 509-299-3029   ... James D. Berry

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
I live in Sandpoint Idaho currently. We moved from metro Detroit last fall. I was hoping to continue my career as a Paramedic but Bonner County EMS was only hiring part time. Wages are very low up here. I was lucky enough to get hired fulltime by BNSF Railway. You should look at the railroad. Our Signal dept should be taking apps this fall. That's for the Northwest division. We work around Spokane, Cheney and have been down in Tri Cities quite a bit. I'd pick Idaho over Spokane any day. The Cheney area is nice and is right next to Medical Lake where, and I didn't know till just now, where JD Berry lives.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
Thanks so much guys!  I'd love to get some more thoughts from all of you. I'm circling around the idea of making the move and figuring the rest out later. Gonna be 40 this year and I don't want to look back on my life and regret not getting out where im meant to be because of money. I'm gonna be busy as hell tomorrow but I can definitely Pm at work. JD, thanks for the offer, I'll shoot for calling you tues.
THanks again,
Nathan

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
What James doesn't tell you is that he don't have to leave his neighborhood to have 4 point mulies within bow range lol.  My daughter lives a couple blocks from James and I could have shot over 5 b4 x 4 bucks last year .... from her bedroom window  :)

Washington State is beautiful no doubt and plenty of hunting  - but I still prefer MT and Idaho for hunting/Fishing.... and I hope one day I can relocate back to Big Sky Country.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »
I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!!  :help:  
Must get out there!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
Go for it Nate.........you don't want to say should'a , would'a , Could'a 25 years from now.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
You remind me of when Dan & I were young men, Someone told us that Wa. had good Elk hunting. We saved our money for 3 weeks($236.00 between us, Bought a road map to find Spokane Wa. and we were on our way. The 1st thing we did when we got to Spokane, Found a Archery Pro Shop!

Moral of the story, Know what is important to you. ... James

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
One of these days Ron, one of these days. Gonna have a rocky mountain attack for sure!   :pray:

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
JMHO, but if hunting and fishing is at the top of your list, you might want to consider one of the other Rocky Mountain states.  Washington is a beautiful state with lots of diversity in country, fishing, and hunting opportunity; but the problem is it is the second smallest state west of the Mississippi with the second largest population. Granted the majority of the population is on the west side, but many come over to the east side (where I am - 2 hours south of Spokane) to recreate. Washington's elk hunting success is usually around 8%, deer around 25% (I work for WA Dept of fish and wildlife).  I worked as a game warden in Wyoming (moved for a family reason) and had far better hunting in Wyoming (much higher success rates.  When I was there in the '90's, elk about 40%, deer about 60%, antelope 95%), and still miss it. I think Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, and Colorado (maybe others as well, these I am most familiar with; again MHO)would be better choices for the western experience and good hunting and fishing.

That being said, Spokane is nicer than many large cities, and there is a lot of public land north of Spokane with deer, bear, cougar, elk, etc.  Northern Idaho is nearby, and Idaho has good for deer and elk, although elk success has dropped in some areas with wolf numbers increasing and timber stands growing older (less forage).  If you like the Spokane area, I think the fellows that suggested living in Idaho and working in Spokane have the best idea.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
Don't head to the western part of the state unless you got rain gear, and aren't afraid of getting your feet wet..... Oregon is the same way... dry on the east side, soggy on the west... Real soggy at times.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
Nate, I would tell you what I think but you would probably just ignore me anyhow.   :smileystooges:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
Don't head to the western part of the state unless you got rain gear, and aren't afraid of getting your feet wet..... Oregon is the same way... dry on the east side, soggy on the west... Real soggy at times.
The trade off is cold vs. wet. Personally at my age, I'll take wet. The kind of cold Spokane gets just plain hurts! Sure is nice any time but winter though...
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »
I was born and raised in Spokane, but I also lived on the Westside of the state and now live in Montana.I would strongly concur with the advice you've already gotten to live in Idaho but work in Spokane. There is no income tax in Washington, but the hunting options are much better in Idaho.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©