3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why wool?  (Read 1367 times)

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
Why wool?
« on: August 16, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
Hey everyone got a question. I see that theres a new wool coat out by hunter image. The gray timber looks great. Other than warmth why do you choose wool over lets say the scent block suit that i have now. This may be a dumb ? But i am a newbie lol thanks as always
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why wool?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
Not a dumb question.  For the most part, wool will keep you warm when wet, synthetics will not.  Sent block "technology" is more of a gimmick. As a police officer, I've worked with K9's and understand how the nose of an animal works. Many believe in it. Personally I prefer wool, over fleece or goretex. you don't need as this of a layer of wool as you do others.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
It is warm, insulates when wet, doesn't stink as bad on extended hunts, and reflects less light.

That said I like it for my base layers and maybe a sweater. I don't dig wool pants that much.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
There is no other reason, IMHO, than warmth for outer wear. In truly cold conditions, nothing is better!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
The only better than wool is another layer of it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
Wool Pro's:
  • Very warm, but breathes and regulates temperatures better than most synthetics over a wider range of temperatures
  • Stays warm when wet whereas modern materials usually dont
  • Doesn't reflect light like polyesters and fleeces do, which helps marginally with camoflauge effect
  • Doesn't retain odors like synthetics do
  • Pulls moisture from the skin unlike cotton
  • Is VERY quiet when brushing against gear, twigs, etc
  • Is very, very durable
  • Does not burn, melt, or drip when fire or embers brush against it during camp making it much safer and more reliable for bushcrafting/hike in hunts/etc

Wool Con's:
  • Can be scratchy feeling, although higher quality wool alleviates most of this
  • Is typically more expensive to make than fleece or similar products
  • Can't be thrown in a dryer so you have to wash on gentle cycle then block it as it air dries - not a huge deal but for some this is a hassle

Other (can be good or bad):
  • Is physically heavier than modern materials for the same amount of insulation - I like this as it makes me feel more cozy in the cold, but if your doing distance hiking and loadout weight is a concern, then you MAY not want wool due to weight
  • Comes in color schemes that are more traditional and woodsy than other materials with commercially produced camo patterns - some people prefer the looks of the old plaids and what not
  • It's a "traditional" material for outdoorsman clothing over the past several years because it works and works well.  Some like the traditional heritage and ways of old.

For me and the way I hunt, wool is the only way to go.  Even when I hike and backpack in, I want wool for my body and choose to save weight in areas like shelter, sleeping bags, etc.  I am really easy to overheat and sweat like a pig.  For me wool REALLY helps to regulate my temperature better, wick moisture from me, and not make me smell like a locker room after one day in the field.  Cotton and cotton blends get wet and loose insulating properties quick and can't be dried easily.  Polyester and fleece blends get holes at camp fires, stink quickly, and just aren't as durable to drag through the bush.  Wool just seems to work the best.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
What would be the best pattern for all around from the asbel wool jackets up top. The evening. stand looks good so does the morning mist.
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by aim small...release:
What would be the best pattern for all around from the asbel wool jackets up top. The evening. stand looks good so does the morning mist.
I had her make me a full zip mackinaw with hood.  That gives me options for layers of warmth and ventilation.  I can have an unzipped jacket mid-day or on the move.  Zip it up for chilly mornings.  Add the shoulder piece on bitter cold days or days with high wind.  A single layer over the arms keeps bulk off my string and even when doubled on the chest allows good ventilation at the arm pits so I don't overheat.  I had my shoulder piece cut lowered a bit too, but that's because I have a huge noggin and need a large hole for my watermelon head.  Next coat I get from her I am going to see if she can add some zippers to the armpits too.  I have a NorthFace jacket with those and find it helps on those mild mornings when you need just a tiny bit of something but can't keep from getting too warm with a jacket on.

As for color pattern.  Take your pick.  They are all nice.  I think Evening Stand Brown is probably the most versatile.  Mine is in Little Delta Plaid because it matches the fall woods where I hunt during the week that I take off work each year at the rut perfectly.

1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
Wool is the only garment I have been able to wear during a FL winter all day long throughout the entire temperature range and not be a hot mess by midday.  I still sweat wearing it, but not nearly as much as I would wearing synthetics or even multiple layers of cotton.  Its amazing stuff.  The scratchy feeling fades away after about 30 min wearing it LOL.

To me the Asbell Evening Stand green and brown are most versatile.  I currently have the Cedar Swamp plaid but not sure I am totally sold on this color scheme yet.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 11:46:00 PM »
A million sheep in the mountains can't be wrong.

Wool is what Mr Polk says it is.  I have an ancient wool sleeping bag , mil issue, that is nice for early fall tent camping.

I have very nice mil surplus pants from Europe,  one pair is finally done after almost 30 years
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 07:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by aim small...release:
Here is the ESB in the woods:

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 07:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by GDPolk:
Wool Pro's:
  • Very warm, but breathes and regulates temperatures better than most synthetics over a wider range of temperatures
  • Stays warm when wet whereas modern materials usually dont
  • Doesn't reflect light like polyesters and fleeces do, which helps marginally with camoflauge effect
  • Doesn't retain odors like synthetics do
  • Pulls moisture from the skin unlike cotton
  • Is VERY quiet when brushing against gear, twigs, etc
  • Is very, very durable
  • Does not burn, melt, or drip when fire or embers brush against it during camp making it much safer and more reliable for bushcrafting/hike in hunts/etc

Wool Con's:
  • Can be scratchy feeling, although higher quality wool alleviates most of this
  • Is typically more expensive to make than fleece or similar products
  • Can't be thrown in a dryer so you have to wash on gentle cycle then block it as it air dries - not a huge deal but for some this is a hassle

Other (can be good or bad):
  • Is physically heavier than modern materials for the same amount of insulation - I like this as it makes me feel more cozy in the cold, but if your doing distance hiking and loadout weight is a concern, then you MAY not want wool due to weight
  • Comes in color schemes that are more traditional and woodsy than other materials with commercially produced camo patterns - some people prefer the looks of the old plaids and what not
  • It's a "traditional" material for outdoorsman clothing over the past several years because it works and works well.  Some like the traditional heritage and ways of old.

For me and the way I hunt, wool is the only way to go.  Even when I hike and backpack in, I want wool for my body and choose to save weight in areas like shelter, sleeping bags, etc.  I am really easy to overheat and sweat like a pig.  For me wool REALLY helps to regulate my temperature better, wick moisture from me, and not make me smell like a locker room after one day in the field.  Cotton and cotton blends get wet and loose insulating properties quick and can't be dried easily.  Polyester and fleece blends get holes at camp fires, stink quickly, and just aren't as durable to drag through the bush.  Wool just seems to work the best. [/b]
Excellent post....thank you.   :thumbsup:
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 08:25:00 AM »
I love my evening stand brown.  I find wool to give me the greatest comfort range of any material.  I have been wearing light weight wool socks all summer, and comparing my foot comfort with high tech cotton and poly socks.  I have not found the cotton or poly's to be any cooler, or more efficient at wicking even on high temp days.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
Many good reasons have been stated for wool. For thousands of years it has been the fiber of choice for cold, damp conditions. Our winters in Georgia are usually mild, so I don't need the really heavy parkas and bibs (although I do use them sometimes). Medium weight is just right.

My preference is a muted plaid that has a somewhat light background. My son, an art major, has really helped me better understand the use of background color. Light, but not stark, backgrounds tend to give an effect of emptiness as opposed to looking like a solid object. It tends to make one disappear. Some wise old deer will bust you anyway, but I thinks it is a valid concept. In the winter woods, grey is more or less invisible.

Combining wool's camo effect and its quietness, I believe it is a superior fabric for hunting.  True, I still use a lot of modern fabrics, particularly military camo with success, but they just don't mix well with dampness as effectively as wool. To me, nothing short of design specific raingear will handle a real downpour, but since I no longer hunt in severe weather, wool works well.
Sam

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
I work in wool pants and wool under ware even in 100 degree temperatures we get here in Texas. I buy military dress pants and ware them year round it does not matter how dirty they get or haw mauy stains I get on them for 5 bucks they look like new when I get them back from the cleaners. For the 10 dollars I give for them they out last everything else I can buy by years. In between trips to the cleaners I just brush them out.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
I believe it was Louis Armstrong, speaking about jazz, who said "If you have to ask, you will never understand".

There's just something about the light weight, soft feel and quiet warmth that are important to some people.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
I like the fact that good wool jacket will keep you dry during a rain if you are careful not to lean against something.  Not sure how it does it, but the rain will run on the outside of the garment and does not soak in.

Online stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
Start with a pair of wool longjohns. Bought a set of Minus 33 last year and love it. No static!

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
Fred Asbell has written about the light absorbing properties of wool in the past. Some of those concepts bear repeating....wool absorbs light rather than reflect it. Most man made products, even "fluffy" materials like polar fleece, can have a reflective quality. To my eye, cotton and modern "micro soft" materials are the worst. I spend a lot of time photographing wool in hunting scenarios. I am forever impressed with it's camo effect.
 Lately, I am enamored with grey tones in wool. Solid grey (which is hardly solid, it has many shades blended) and plaid patterns with subtle grey tones (like Teresa Asbell's phenomenal Timber Ghost)seem to disappear in the bush. My website has some pictures showing these blending characteristics.

One thing about the patterns that Teresa offers....make no mistake....they are well thought out, with the hunter in mind. Patterns like Morning Mist, Evening Stand Green & Brown, Timber Ghost...she designs these patterns after lots of thought, trial and error. They don't take on that "black blob" that commercial camouflage can (a few patterns excepted). They tend to just blend in with the background...not the foreground.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
Smartwool makes an incredible line of Merino wool long underwear/base layer. They come in different weights. I have the heaviest ones for late season bowhunting and waterfowl. They are super soft, light and warm. They are not cheap but I have bought several pairs and will never be without them in the cold. You can clean them in the washer & dryer too. I use a combination of man made and natural clothing throughout the season but the Smartwools are the only cold weather base layers I'll wear.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©