3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why wool?  (Read 1366 times)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why wool?
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »
I'm with Kevin on this.  Merino wool base layers and Stika on top.  Best of both worlds.
T ZZZZ

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
Actually Roger, I owned and wore full sets of both King of the Mountain and Sleeping Indian on several hunts to the NWT, Yukon and BC. I experienced all types of weather and became intimately familiar with the abilities and characteristics of wool as an outer layer. I owned and wore a lot of wool back when I ice-fished really hard on the wide-open Great Lakes. It was all these experiences which led to my current understanding and philosophies on wool garments. I sold 100% of my heavy expensive wool and personally haven't ever wished for any of it back. I will tell anyone that I honestly thought it was the greatest thing going when I owned it.

I certainly think that wool is great, and there's a place for it in my hunting closet. I use it every year. My experiences, preferences and ways of hunting have simply led me to prefer wool for under or mid-layers, and only for outer layers in certain situations. I'll probably never be found without wool, but it now comprises maybe 20% of my packed hunting clothing. I still love the traditional look and feel of it.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2017, 05:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kevin Dill:
Actually Roger, I owned and wore full sets of both King of the Mountain and Sleeping Indian on several hunts to the NWT, Yukon and BC. I experienced all types of weather and became intimately familiar with the abilities and characteristics of wool as an outer layer. I owned and wore a lot of wool back when I ice-fished really hard on the wide-open Great Lakes. It was all these experiences which led to my current understanding and philosophies on wool garments. I sold 100% of my heavy expensive wool and personally haven't ever wished for any of it back. I will tell anyone that I honestly thought it was the greatest thing going when I owned it.

I certainly think that wool is great, and there's a place for it in my hunting closet. I use it every year. My experiences, preferences and ways of hunting have simply led me to prefer wool for under or mid-layers, and only for outer layers in certain situations. I'll probably never be found without wool, but it now comprises maybe 20% of my packed hunting clothing. I still love the traditional look and feel of it.
This one is a couple years old but it's that time of year again so I thought maybe I'd rehash it.  I couldn't agree with Kevin more.  I went from wool to synthetic fabrics along the lines of Kuiu and Sitka away from wool.  The synthetics had it all, warmth, water proof, and light.  I owned thousands of dollars in synthetics.  For me at least, the love affair only lasted about 3 seasons until I switched back to wool.  I needed something that I could wear out hunting and go to the store or pick my kids up without being in camouflaged clothes.  I didn't get the durability out of synthetics in Northeast Ohio rough bark hickory and multiflora rose infested woods where I hunt.  I wear wool tops and Tin Cloth bibs in the fall.  The only drawback I feel as an issue for myself is the different burrs and sticktights in my neck of the woods.  The weight is not a factor for me with wool.  Wool just seems to be a very effective natural camouflage even with solid colors especially in gray.  As for myself, I don't hunt in the rain much if at all after the time lightning struck a cherry tree 20 feet from me.  I was deaf, dumb, and blind for a few minutes afterwards.  Everyone's expectations and experiences will vary but I choose wool even with all of it's negative when it is not as good as synthetics in a few areas such as weight and water repellent.  The costs for either seems about the same these days.  There is that "traditional " factor of wool and stickbows that plays a large part in my personal preference also.

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »
Wool is simply awesome. It will keep you warm and maintain much of its insulation when wet. As for the " scent blocker " garments....Sean B is SPOT ON! I have German Shepherds and train with them for Shutzhund sports. There is no way you can fool a dog with scent blocker, scent away...etc. and, a deer's nose is superior to the best canine!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2017, 08:58:00 PM »
Though I haven't hunted in quite as many exotic places as Kevin, my experience reflects his.  I've worn wool as base and outer layers for a long, long time. It's good at most everything, most of the time, even warmer weather. That being said, none of my wool, including the high priced, big name stuff, blocks a stiff wind.  

I've just started converting to synthetics for outer layers.  Will always have silk and merino near my skin, and a wool second layer, shirt and long johns when needed, but the wind and rain blocking synthetics hold promise for me. Going to give them a good test in the next couple of years.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »
Not to hyjack the thread but can you spray wool and make it water resistant?
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2017, 10:17:00 PM »
The oils in wool make it naturally water resistant.  I suppose you could spray it, but if you could actually get enough spray on it, and it would take a lot because it is so porous, to make it waterproof, it would then lose its breathability.  In short, not a good idea.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2017, 08:48:00 AM »
I have sent many years and alot of money on hunting clothes.  Then I finally decided 10 years ago to get some wool, never looked back.  I have gotten my money back just from not having to buy synthetic every few years.  The stiff wind blowing through wool can be mastered.  I took a note from my dad as a golfer, and use a windshirt (light,quiet) underneath my outer layer and problem solved for me.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2017, 11:20:00 AM »
Quietness! Nothing else is as quiet for stand hunting, for backpacking or other more physical hunts id go with a good synthetic material for better durability, waterproofness, and less drag on foliage

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2017, 12:10:00 PM »
Wool is warm & quiet.  Synthetics are light but noisy.  I shake my head in disdain at all the clothing sold as "hunting clothing" just because it's in some fancy camouflage print.  I'll take grey wool over any noisy camo pattern any day of the week.

I definitely agree with other posters about grey.  Deer are grey (in the season).  Rabbits are grey.  Coyotes are grey.  Raccoons are grey.  Squirrels are grey.  Possums are grey.  Foxes are grey.  Mice are grey.  Nature speaks pretty clear if we just stop to listen.  When hiking with my wife in the summer, she can barely find me 20 yards away if I just stop on the side of the trail behind her to empty my bladder while wearing an old grey fleece sweater.  Especially in our granite mountains, grey is about as natural & prolific a color as anything else out here.

I'll only use wool or even poly fleeces on my top layer.  My pants are ALWAYS some other material -- usually just military BDU pants or cargo zip offs.  Whatever quietness I'd gain from wool I'd lose from constantly picking out foxtails, stickers, burrs, etc.  Those plants evolved to adhere to hair fibers.  It's a compromise.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2017, 01:58:00 PM »
In the military if you go to artic winter warfare type training they make you take off all the fancy stuff and guess what they give you...?

1950's US Army green wool....all wool. It works.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2017, 03:42:00 PM »
I fought it for years but finally realized wool is the best material for a bowhunter. Also being heavier is a plus it makes you stronger!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2017, 07:48:00 PM »
There is a dry cleaner here that does natural lanolin treatments.  It turns my already water resistant swandri camo into a rain coat.  I have a problem with my Filsen felt wool jacket.  It can do it all it has zippers snaps zippered pockets, hidden pockets, waist band, it has everything except a keep your hands off me sign.    Once again the gals over at the local Caseys had to run their fingers all over my jacket.   I was dumb enough to hang on my chair, and one girl grabbed it, put it on and said, "I am never taking this off."

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Marc B.:

Originally posted by aim small...release:
What would be the best pattern for all around from the asbel wool jackets up top. The evening. stand looks good so does the morning mist.
Here is the ESB in the woods:

[/b]
Thank you for these photos.  G Fred's website doesn't have a good field photo of the ESB.  But this does look to me as though it would be the best pattern for fall hunting in my area.
- Hill Big 5 ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"
- Hill Halfbreed ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"

- Cabela's Warden 62" recurves:
-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Proverbs 16:3
"Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established."

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2017, 04:42:00 AM »
Wool seems to be self cleaning, among the other mentioned positives.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2017, 07:53:00 AM »
Just so nobody gut-shoots me with a dull Zwickey...I do love wool. But for me it's like loving fish on a menu. Sometimes it's perfect for me and other times not. I try to avoid the simple declarations that anything is great...or awful...for everyone. When and if you ever hear me say this or that works (or doesn't) I'm only applying that to myself. I don't try to convince others of my ways.

I could literally write a book about the hunts I've taken while wearing good wool as my outer layer. A bunch of guys I know could do the same. We all loved it, but many of us eventually moved away from it (to varying extents) over the years and decades. I personally tend toward selecting gear that does the best job for me when heading afield. I'm not here to push synthetics at all, but after many years of doing remote northern hunts (which all started with high-end wool like KOM, etc) I found a combo of merino wool base/mid layers plus synthetic outer layers do everything I ask and work better for me than anything I can name.

Wool is good. Synthetics are good. Claiming either is completely superior to the other probably doesn't take into account the many ways they are both used and the guys who use it.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kevin Dill:
Just so nobody gut-shoots me with a dull Zwickey...I do love wool. But for me it's like loving fish on a menu. Sometimes it's perfect for me and other times not. I try to avoid the simple declarations that anything is great...or awful...for everyone. When and if you ever hear me say this or that works (or doesn't) I'm only applying that to myself. I don't try to convince others of my ways.

I could literally write a book about the hunts I've taken while wearing good wool as my outer layer. A bunch of guys I know could do the same. We all loved it, but many of us eventually moved away from it (to varying extents) over the years and decades. I personally tend toward selecting gear that does the best job for me when heading afield. I'm not here to push synthetics at all, but after many years of doing remote northern hunts (which all started with high-end wool like KOM, etc) I found a combo of merino wool base/mid layers plus synthetic outer layers do everything I ask and work better for me than anything I can name.

Wool is good. Synthetics are good. Claiming either is completely superior to the other probably doesn't take into account the many ways they are both used and the guys who use it.
You certainly are consistent Kevin. This thread was started by folks who enjoy hunting in wool, specifically Asbell wool. And you came to offer alternatives.... why? I certainly wouldn't shoot you with a dull Zwickey, but your constant chipping away at Asbell Wool is getting old.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2017, 10:55:00 AM »
Relax Roger. I'm not chipping at anything even  if you want to think it.  Take a re-read and you'll see I like and use wool.  I'll offer you this :  find anywhere  or anything I've said which  addresses Asbell  wool in negative terms and I will buy you your choice of their garment. Fair enough?

This is obviously an old thread which came back up.  The discussion is a good one .   I don't think it needs individual censorship .  Nobody is insulting anyone here.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »
OK Kevin....

p.s...I probably don't need you to buy me any Asbell wool.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Russ Clagett:
In the military if you go to artic winter warfare type training they make you take off all the fancy stuff and guess what they give you...?

1950's US Army green wool....all wool. It works.
There is always such fascinating stuff posted here. I'll add this as it seems both current and slightly contrary to the above

Navy SEAL Testing  

I find it fascinating.

I've been doing this stuff, I will say seriously, for 25 years. I still enjoy reading about all types of hunting--and species, gear, and tactics. It is amazing how much one can learn and apply to their specific type of hunting from other types that have nothing to do with particular type.  I'm glad there are various, experienced opinions to wade thru.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©