3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gonna shoot a moose with a blacktail  (Read 539 times)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gonna shoot a moose with a blacktail
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
Seven inches off centre at 22 metres...735 grain arrow...this is gonna work out nicely

DDave

I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
And this evening I shot this 700 grain 2317 Super Slam at 15 paces...may not seem all that significant to you but to me it is huge...when I bought that bow I took a huge leap of faith in my ability to heal...I had bursitis so badly in my left shoulder that I could not really even lift a light bow to shoot let alone one that weighs 3 pounds like the Snakebit...the deal was too good to pass up since I had already missed out on that bow when Paul sold it to Dave...long story short I am now drawing that bow to its full 30 inches and 58 pounds and for at least one arrow I am pretty accurate...all I need for Bullwinkle...and I still have until November 1 to rehab further...truth is for the cold of November I will likely drop back to the 54 pound limbs anyway...never count on being able to pull the same weight when you are cold

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
I suppose you would like to see the picture, eh?

DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
For those of you who wonder how little fletch you can get away with let me tell you that I have tuned those arrows with that 1.875 inch parabolic fletching and 160 grain Thunderheads...a properly tuned arrow with good broadheads really does not need as much fletching as many think...still my default fletching with those arrows is 5 inch shield cuts with 6 degrees of helical because in a hunting situation I cannot always guarantee a faultless release

DDave

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
Looks like this is shaping up to be an epic year for you. I had bursitis in my upper leg by the hip. I know what you went through. Good to see you're able to use that beauty after all.
I echo your comment on a well tuned arrow. When guys fletch with 5 1/2" fletching I know they must trying to mask a problem.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
Good luck DDave. Take pictures.
Bob

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
Good shooting Dave!
And if you have a sister resident in your area I would marry her,I need to hunt more!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
Im with ya  bro... good luck!
bryce olson

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »
don't need adoption but I might consider moving! LOL

I have sat with a NHL hockey player who lives locally fishing reds one summer....got to see some amazing pictures.

not to mention access to some monster bighorns!!!  and stones..and Dalls....jeesh to heck with elk!!!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 12:31:00 AM »
No pressure eh guys...I was watching for elk while driving tonight and I realized that by the time the November moose hunt rolls around I could very well have all the game meat I can handle which then would leave me in the very enviable position of hunting only for a Pope and Young bull, passing on anything smaller...and thanks for the good wishes team...I will be taking you along in spirit and as Bob suggests will take lots of pictures...if you go to the Alberta regulations I will be hunting in Wildlife Management Unit 542 travelling the oil lease roads until I spot a bull and then trying to put a stalk on him...just have to hope that it snows some to easily read tracks but not so much as to make it hard to get around...when I guided a couple of years ago the snow became crusty from rain and was way too noisy for walking up a bull...my hunter did shoot one at about 50 yards with a rifle so it is conceivable I could get within bow range right beside a lease road...unlike deer a moose will often simply stand and watch a vehicle in oil patch country...only when a human gets out and starts moving around will they get edgy...and btw AkDan my outfitter buddy has a non trophy sheep permit for the Cadomin area where the World Record bighorn was taken...he does not like sheep meat so I am looking forward to having some of that...and Felix, sorry but I do not have a sister,or a wife these days, so I tend to be a little possessive of local eligible women...I suppose you could have my leftovers

DDave

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
No trophy sheep tag......

Now there's an oxymoron if ever such a thing existed!   I am familiar with the area (reading)   If nothing else I'm going to spend time camera in hand!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
He has a trophy sheep tag for another WMU...could shoot both a ram and a ewe or lamb...just chronied that bow with 730 grain arrow and I am getting 155 fps...do you think that will be enough for moose (he asks innocently)

DDave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©