3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who owns/shoots one bow?  (Read 947 times)

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
Who owns/shoots one bow?
« on: August 22, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
I see numerous posts where some of us own and shoot a dozen bows. Does anybody own or shoot just one? I own and shoot two Kanati longbows.

Offline mh2324

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who owns/shoots one bow?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
Just one for me. Northern Mist Baraga. Getting proficient with one bow is a chore enough for me. It'd be fun to shoot a bunch of different bows, but if I ever get a second one I think I would try to get a duplicate or something very close to this bow just in case something broke mid-season so I wouldn't be completely unable to hunt. I feel blessed to have one bow and the ability to hunt.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
I own and shoot one Morrison Cheyenne, B riser and D Max 1 Carbon/foam limbs.  Since I've retired, I don't have the fun money I had before retirement.  

The first 14 years I shot traditional bows I bought, sold and/or traded 200+ recurves and longbows.  In the past two years I've bought four bows, sold three and have settled on my Morrison Cheyenne, which I've owned for nearly a year now.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
One woman? Yeah. One bow? No Way!!!!  Life's way too short for that.

I actually shoot much better when I restrict myself to shooting one bow. For the past month I've shot only my 62" 55# Tall Tines and that's the only bow I'll shoot through the the end of archery season.

I do find comfort in knowing I have several backups if I need them.

DD
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
I am down to one. A 56" 54#@28" Lil Hoot.

I have owned 20+ and shot many more figuring out what I really like in a bow.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
I own several but have only shot/hunted with my Liberty English for the past 7 years now.  I may shoot a few arrows now and then with the others but the English is my go to for sure.

Beware the man who shoots only one bow...  :archer2:
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
One bow for me. A Tall Tines 58" 53#@28. I have only been shooting with trad gear for about a 18 months or so. I was lucky enough to take my first trad deer last fall. I have taken several with my compounds over the years but going to trad has brought the fun back to archery.
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
I do and never feel under bowed.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
Lately. I feel like I own a new one every week.  I usually keep one as my "go to" hunt ready bow and then try other makes, models, poundages, lengths, etc. Generally, if one gets bought, one gets sold.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
I did but I fell off the wagon.

My Super D will always be my most loved bow though
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
Even though I have the two Kanati's I feel like I shoot one cause the grips are so close. The length is the same as is the weight of both. I'm surprised how many shoot one bow.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 05:57:00 PM »
I'd never have only one bow unless my economic situation dictated it.  Would always want at least one back-up.  I sure wouldn't want to be without a bow anytime during the season.  

BTW, I don't buy the "beware the person with one bow, gun, tennis racket, baseball bat, etc. idea."  Though there is merit to becoming intimately familiar with one or a few bows, i don't know of any top rung performers or champions in any athletic endeavor who have only one of the main tools of his/her chosen activity/trade.    :bigsmyl:

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
Me! Due to events beyond my control I sold off a very modest modest Bear collection the last couple of years and have one Bear KH that I was able to keep. I have modified the grip and shelf to suit me. I actually shoot it better than I did my others.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
I bought my first recurve in 1991 at the PBS banquet in Wheeling Wv.  It is a Savage River made by Dave Guthery of Appilachian Archery.  To this day it is the only bow I have ever owned and still shoots as great as the first day I received it.  No reason to change what is not broken

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
Not me.  I have two.  But they're twins so I have a good backup.  ;-)
homebru

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
I only shoot one, a Mark Daniels prototype Manchu style bow.  After I lowered the shelf and built up the grip and added a thumb rest, I've never shot its equal.  66", 70#@38" (originally 43@28") and enough kinetic energy to knock down a forty pound bale of cardboard.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
I have two Widows the same weight, a PSRX and a PLX with the same Toby grip.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
I have only really shot 2 bows on a long term, regular basis, the two in my signature, a recurve and a longbow.  They are 2 very different bows, but I shoot them both very regularly, and can go back and forth between them well.

I found that when switching between several different models, I wasn't shooting any of them well. So I got rid of the extras and stuck with these two.

If I ever get another bow, it will likely be identical to the longbow I already have, but about 10# heavier.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
I started with a bob lee, and sold it after I bought a foley recurve off the classifieds.  Me and my foley have been places together.  I don't have an exact count, but I know for certain that I have shot in the neighborhood of 20,000 arrows through it in the last year and a half.  While shooting this bow exclusively I have gone from barely being able to hit a target at 10 yards, to consistently shooting sub 3 inch groups out to 20 yards.  I carried it with me last deer season, and all turkey season.  This summer I don't even care to guess how many stumping miles it had traveled with me.  It carries some scars, and a tell tale dimple in the grip from my wedding ring.  I haven't gotten my first trad harvest yet, but this season is looking good, and the foley gets the nod.

I have two bows on order right now, and once they get here I am sure I will shoot them more often, but that old foley and I have a bond.  It will stay with me until I can hopefully pass it to a son, or until they lay me down.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
yes
Im down to my Martin Savanna
I figure if something happens, it was meant to be.
Slickhead

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©