3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dryad 4G or CG longbow limbs?  (Read 146 times)

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
Dryad 4G or CG longbow limbs?
« on: August 23, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
Thinking about ordering a pair of medium Dryad longbow limbs for a 15" Epic riser and the cost is running up.  Just wondering about the performance difference that any of you may have experienced between the ACS limbs specifically the 4G which is composite core with fiberglass or the CG which is composite and carbon under black fiberglass.

Question:  Is there good reason to spend an extra $150 to upgrade from 4G to CG?

Doug
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Dryad 4G or CG longbow limbs?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
I have only owned the CG's with bamboo/carbon and loved them.  From my homework there seems a split on the issue.  Some guys say the 4G's are a better value, but many guys swear the CG's have slightly better cast per pound and are even more stable.  $150 worth??  I dunno.  I guess I spoiled myself going for the CG's from the start.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 12:08:00 PM »
The consensus seems to be that the CG's are higher performance. I say if you're already dropping that kind of cabbage what's another 150.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
It certainly is a high dollar venture and I will have to sell a couple of bows to finance this purchase but hoping to be as fugal as possible.

At present I have an A&H 14" riser with ACS carbon limbs making a 64" longbow and just love that bow but would rather have shorter limbs for hunting. Of course, everything cost and now I am leaning toward a Dryad set-up in hopes of attaining the same performance level as my A&H with shorter limbs as a hunting bow.

Thanks for the responses and I am leaning toward the CG after reading them.

Doug
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »
Can't you just buy some shorter limbs for your A&H? I shoot the CG limbs, have never shot the 4G so can't give you a comparison. Just curious why your looking to go with the epic riser route. I'm pretty sure i remember reading a post from Mike saying that the bolt down versions of his bows are a little more efficient than the ILF. If efficiency difference is all your worried about, maybe you could go with the bolt down Orion model with the 4G limbs to make up the efficiency and stay in your budget. I sure love my bow, I've almost quit looking at the classifieds I'm so happy with my bow, it's almost as fast as the fastest recurve I've owned which is also a dryad, but it is fast enough and has more stable limbs and is quieter. Not that the dryad recurve was overly noisy just more so than the longbow as one would expect. I think you will be happy with your investment even if you have to sell a bow or two to make it!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »
The inherent flexibility of the ILF system is the reason that I would consider the Dryad Epic route instead of buying shorter new limbs for my A&H which would cost $750 plus shipping.  I know that it is inappropriate on this site to mention or compare manufacturer's bows who might be sponsors but suffice it to say that my A&H shoots my 600 gr hunting arrows 20 fps faster than another very top of the line single piece longbow that I own at the same draw weight.  That difference is very significant and it is extremely noticeable even without a chronograph! I am hooked.

I can't remember ever seeing any A&H limbs for sale in the classifieds and $750 is a hefty chunk of change to lay down for shorter limbs but it is an option worth considering. The ILF version sounds appealing to me but you are right.  If it is efficiency that I am after then another set of limbs is all that I need since I am very happy with the grip of the A&H riser.

Thanks for your input.

Doug

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
I had both. I really didn't see any increase in performance. Both are great but I wouldn't spend the extra money.

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
well, this event will certainly affect my decision. Bottom limb let go at full draw.  Scared me to death!Limbs are out of warranty and A&H will charge $650 for a replacement set.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©