3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pick apart my packlist please!  (Read 1093 times)

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Pick apart my packlist please!
« on: August 23, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
I'm headed out to Co unit 25 next week for 6 days.
Not trying to be all ultralighty & not planning to hike in too far (4-5 miles tops)
I've packed, unpacked & repacked & I've narrowed my gear down to the following items. I haven't weighed a thing, for the simple reason that whatever it weighs, it weighs & I can only cut items, not substitute.

Bow & 4 arrows (+ 2 blunts for grouse)

Clothes:
Kuiu Attack pants (on)
Kuiu 145 Merino l/s top (on)
Kuiu 230 Merino l/s top
Kuiu spindrift puffy
Kuiu Guide jacket
No-name poly s/s tee
2 spare Exofficio drawers
2 spare Merino socks.
Kuiu lightweight beanie
First lite brimmed beanie

Camp stuff:
Golite SL5, no nest
Kelty 20° down bag
Kelty down pillow
Thermarest X-lite pad
Stove & cookset
2x gas cylinders
2x contractor bags
Mora knife
Micro towel
20' paracord
Wet wipes
Goal Zero solar charger (the little one)

Food:
12 packs instant oatmeal
6 portions trail mix, Snickers, dried fruit & deer jerky (roughly 1/3lb total per day)
6 home dehydrated meals (roughly ¼lb per day & around 1200 kcal)
12 coffee
12 tea bags
12 energy powder drink mixes
3l bladder
Katadyn hiker pro filter
spoon
Food coozy
Condiments
(Planned for 2500-3000kcal/day)

Daypack:
TZ2220 pack
3l bladder + 32oz nalgene for drink mixes
Havalon Piranta bolt + 6 blades
Gerber packsaw (one of those tiny things)
8x42 Leupold binos + SL4 harness
Spotter & tripod
Phone + GPS (Garmin backtrack)
Frogg Toggs poncho
Compass
Meat bags
Trekking pole (bringing 2, leaving one in camp)
TP
Lighter
Princeton Tek headlight + tiny energizer spare.

Can anyone see things there that I absolutely won't need, our is there anything that I absolutely will, but have forgotten?

Best I can tell on my bathroom scale, I'm at around 50lb total (give or take 10%ish)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pick apart my packlist please!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
Forgot my first aid kit (Ibuprofen, bandaids, moleskin, betadine, ace bandage, tape) & duct tape around both trekking poles + the nalgene, plus 4 or 5 bic lighters, stashed throughout my kit.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
Going over the same stuff myself.  Seems like a solid list.  If your gonna be by running water I would ditch the wet wipes.  I would like to have some more cordage because camp always seems to need more.  Maybe a small saw or hatchet for fires if you plan on having any.  I would take a few more arrows as well, especially blunt which you'll probably use a lot.  I carried a bunch for buddies in the wilderness probably 30 miles and they faired just fine bundled up and on the side of my pack.

My med kit has a few pain killers and such like yours, but big guaze pads and ace bandages will do more for an injury than band-aids.  I've gotten rid of those and filled the space with something more useful.  

Phone and charger would stay for me, but I don't know what you have planned there.  Are you solo?

Good luck.

Offline sonosheepeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
Three pairs of socks for six days? Better have a lot of foot powder on hand.
I grew up with Brent Rudolph, what is your excuse?

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 02:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Machino:
Going over the same stuff myself.  Seems like a solid list.  If your gonna be by running water I would ditch the wet wipes.  I would like to have some more cordage because camp always seems to need more.  Maybe a small saw or hatchet for fires if you plan on having any.  I would take a few more arrows as well, especially blunt which you'll probably use a lot.  I carried a bunch for buddies in the wilderness probably 30 miles and they faired just fine bundled up and on the side of my pack.

My med kit has a few pain killers and such like yours, but big guaze pads and ace bandages will do more for an injury than band-aids.  I've gotten rid of those and filled the space with something more useful.  

Phone and charger would stay for me, but I don't know what you have planned there.  Are you solo?

Good luck.
Thanks. There'll be 3 of us in camp, this time. The phone is my primary GPS (Backcountry navigator pro app) along with a source of reading material for the long hours behind the spotter!

PBS & TBT Member

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by sonosheepeater:
Three pairs of socks for six days? Better have a lot of foot powder on hand.
Wear one, wash one, one drying  ;)
I can go a year on 3 pairs of good quality socks & britches, as long as I have soap  :)

PBS & TBT Member

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
If you aren't in good sunlit area wool sox, pants, don't dry well. If you wear a wicking sock over the wool you shouldn't have to wash the sox after every use. Just hang them to air out.
 Imodium pills incase you get diarrhea which can dehydrate you terribly. You may not need them but if you do you will be glad you've got them.
 The wet wipes are great for not only cleaning your hands but also as toilet paper/cleanser. It was worth it to bring for me. Wal-Mart sells a non-scented version of baby wipes.
 Bring a back up bow just in case, one that shoots the same arrows if possible.
A couple of Tampons incase of a puncture wound.
All of these things are what was told me before my first trip to Colorado.
 Most of all have a safe trip and have fun. If you have never been out west, the night sky will blow your mind!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
Pretty good looking list. I'm leaving in a few days myself.  My list is pretty close to yours.  
I take a small tarp for bad weather over my tent and doubles for putting meat on.  It's been a little cooler then normal where I'm heading in 521 and plenty of rain so the meadows or full of grass

And sitka clothes    :smileystooges:

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
Sounds like a good list I would think about not taking day pack and use you main pack instead will save you some good lbs. I also would not take the Nalgene they are heavy I would use regular 16oz water bottles they are unbelievably light free and work great all I use. I do not take trail mix too heavy for the food you get out of it I take two Mt house meals per day more food less weight you can just do a 1.5 person propack for lunch. I do not how much fuel your stove uses but you may not need another fuel can or maybe just a smaller 3.5oz one to save weight. Widow

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
The daypack is unavoidable, I'm afraid. My main pack is a simple frame, with no bag, as such.
I decided on trail mix & a cold lunch instead of taking along the stove every day.
I might have to take your advice on the nalgene though.

PBS & TBT Member

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »
I took two or three pair of wool socks as well, but also took a couple pair of poly sock liners.

I can do without a pillow.  
My son thought the tripod unnecessary, but it was useful for photo's of us together.

I am taking gaiters to keep my pant legs dry.

Leaving my heavier binos at home and taking Zeiss 8X20 instead.

Oatmeal or granola in AM, Jerky and trail mix throughout the day, and Mtn House meal at night was sufficient for me. Plus plenty of water, drink mixes and a Nalgene bottle worked well for us last year.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Mountain State Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
Could you lose the pillow and substitute your sleeping bag stuff sack with a garment(s) stuffed inside?

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
... along with a source of reading material for the long hours behind the spotter!
Whatever it's worth, I carry one of those old Kindle 2 readers with the black and white screen. One battery charge lasts me over a month and I can't accidentally set an alarm on it or have it alert me to a next text message while a deer is under my stand. They are going for 10-20 bucks used these days and I much prefer reading on it to my ipad or phone. For whatever it's worth.
Thom

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
If you choose to go plastic bottles I would go for 20 oz instead of 16 and I would not bring the spotting scope/tripod unless you are hunting really open country, you can see a lot with 8x42's. I would bring a few more arrows, especially if grouse hunting will be good. I would definitely keep the wet wipes, I use them to clean up good so I don't get chaffed, that is a hunt killer.

Good luck on your hunt and be safe ...

:campfire:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sonosheepeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
Thats my army infantry coming out, I bring two pairs of socks per day, just in case. My feet are the most important thing I have in the field. Have you considered the vacuum seal bags from walmart? I can put 80 pounds in one ruck sack with those bags.
I grew up with Brent Rudolph, what is your excuse?

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
Rob, I think another pair of socks might be a good idea. i also vote for the nalgene bottle, they are tough and most of the water purifiers are set up for that bottle mouth. one of the camps i pursue elk from is a dry camp. i am always having bring my water for dinner and breakfast back up the hill. they are also easier to put berries into if you want to dress up that morning oatmeal. good luck!
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by elkken:
If you choose to go plastic bottles I would go for 20 oz instead of 16 and I would not bring the spotting scope/tripod unless you are hunting really open country, you can see a lot with 8x42's. I would bring a few more arrows, especially if grouse hunting will be good. I would definitely keep the wet wipes, I use them to clean up good so I don't get chaffed, that is a hunt killer.

Good luck on your hunt and be safe ...

:campfire:  
The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I'll grab a pull-up top, 1l Platypus soft bottle, next time I'm in town. Ditch the nalgene altogether.
I'm not 100% sure what the terrain will be like where we're going to be. I figured I'd take the spotter (it's only a little 12-24x50 Burris) & the tripod (one of those U/L 41" $12 jobs) out on the first day. If I stay in the timber, I can always leave it back in camp the rest of the week. I'd hate to find myself overlooking a 2 mile meadow without it!

Silly question: Do any of you Western boys bother with a sidearm? I'm 50/50 on whether to pack along an ultra compact .45 I can't decide whether the extra weight is worth it.

PBS & TBT Member

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
I would add more para cord.  At least 100 feet.  Be sure to have some cord in your daypack.  Might add a couple tent stakes to the day pack.  Use them and the para cord to hold the legs of your elk up if it goes down where there are no trees or bushes to tie onto.  Not needing to use an arm to hold the legs out of the way will free up both hands.

The 20deg bag is most likely going to work out well, but there is that small chance that you will endure much colder temps.

The probability of you needing the .45 is incredibly slim.  Right along with probability of being hit by lightning.  It is just extra weight.  If you dont mind the weight then pack an accurate .22 pistol for the grouse.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
Rob good luck! The list looks good. I am not a western guy but I'd go with bear mace as it is lighter. Even a light gun can be a pain in the arse humping those hills.

I hardly bother with a spotter on my elk hunts. For alpine mulies I can see where it'd be a good piece of kit. I'd rather carry an extra day of food. Just my opinion though!
Mike Davenport

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
Rob you are pretty well south of the Southern end of Griz range. Maybe Bear spray if your worried about critters. Hanging those drying socks off of some extra para-cord otta keep your camp safe.   :laughing:
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©