3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pick apart my packlist please!  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pick apart my packlist please!
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
Rob I am not a backpacker by any stretch of the imagination but I do have a 20 degree sleeping bag. Mine will not keep me warm at high altitude without wearing quite a bit of clothes while in it. The only other thing I would take is more arrows. They are easily damaged or lost out here.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 07:10:00 PM »
I gave up toting a spotter and tripod for elk hunting long ago.  Even at 2 miles I can tell that an elk is an elk with binos, and since I'm generally not a trophy hunter that's all I need to know.  
Another vote for for lots more paracord.  At least 100 feet.
I'd really recommend a regular GPS. My phone sucks batteries something fierce when roaming western states with poor service.  If you want to borrow mine give me a call and I'll ship it down quick.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
Bill is right on the bag. If it gets below freezing at night you will be cold. But sleeping with full clothes on can overcome some of that. Especially your beanie.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the GPS offer Joe. I've tried the app on my phone & with the GPS on & in 'airplane' mode, I can get 3 continuous days use. The solar charger will top it up every night while I sleep (it charges a battery during the day, which I can then use to charge the phone at night)
More paracord is a running theme & I can easily fit more, so I will.
The 20° bag will have to do. I needed to buy another before this trip, but a bag that will serve me year round. I tend to sleep warm anyway & thee Kelty was in my price range. I don't mind throwing on a couple of layers if it gets chilly, although the forecast is calling for nights in the 50s.
The spotter & tripod combined only weigh a couple of pounds & it's was a compromise item. I couldn't afford really good binos & managed to snag the spotter cheap. The combined cost still wouldn't have got me better binos than I have.
Being that this is my first backpack hunt (although, I'm sure, not my last) I'm using it as a bit of a testbed as to what I will & won't use, what I need to improve upon, & where I need to spend my kit fund next year.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
Whip put your phone in airplane mode it will turn off all your Battery draining stuff and turn your WIFI off if airplane mode does not. I would still take a real gps have not had much luck with the phone ones. I have those platypus bottles they are ok but do not stand up on there own the best but will work and are light you could carry five of them and still not weigh as much as the Nalgene bottles.     Widow

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
Rob I don't know what altitude you are going to hunt but my camp is at 9200 feet. We have been in camp since July 2nd and have had only one night the temp was above 50 and the low that night was 51. Average low for July and the first half of August has been 45 degrees. We are now having lows in the high 30's to low 40's. September can bring night time freezing temps and possible snow at high elevations.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
Bow and arrows! No spotting scope, good binocs , 20* bag will be fine withe your merino layer. Good luck !
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
id leave the pillow at home. pack an extra bow string and maybe an extra nock or two. i also like to take a hot melt glue stick of some kind. i would also leave the spotting scope at home. ounces make pounds. so anything you can cut will help. i would also dress in layers cool mornings and warm days. good luck. dont forget the camera
Kevin Day

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
Share the weight of the stove and fuel.  Y'all don't need to each have them.  Doesn't take much fuel to boil water with the new stoves.

If also nix the sidearm.  Believe me 50#s is a lot in the mountains
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
In four years and four different sites, only once would a spotting scope have been ok for viewing, and still not really necessary.  After last year, we are looking at everything that could be considered not essential.  A pound or two savings on one item would be a major savings if you have to carry it in on your back. Do as you wish of course, but if it were me it would be staying home.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Jimscol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
Unit 25 is the Flattops. You don't need a spotting scope or the pistol.   Lighten the weight as it is a pretty long hike in.  Was in there a couple of years ago but rode a horse in.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »
Great list, but I'd ditch the spotting scope and tripod, the puffy jacket, (Colorado Sept are getting warmer) and substitute a 20 oz Gatorade bottle, the Hiker water filter for a Mini Sawyer water filter($20, 2 oz) and bring at least 50' para cord. I would cut back on the tea and coffee and add some energy bars. Add a wide brimmed hat. Bring some Rolaids or Tums to help for altitude.  Remember to take it slow and drink more water the first few days. Good luck and enjoy.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
Lose the pillow, the pistol, the poncho, the scope and the tripod, and farm out one fuel canister if someone else has room for it (you're carrying the group stove, it appears.)

Add more food – you're light in that area for the work you'll be doing and the conditions you will be in, especially if s--- happens with the weather.

Add a good topo map of the area. The GPS app on your phone will drain the battery like you wouldn't believe. I wouldn't use it on a backcountry trip of any kind. I would leave the charger at home and use the phone only for true emergencies. Leave good instructions at home about where you're going and when to call the local sheriff. If you do drop a royal bull or bigger, then make a brief call home to announce it.  ;)

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »
Quick Clot and snakebite kit. Definitely keep the ponco.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
I'd keep the puffy.  Take it from someone who lives in the west.  I was scouting today and it was 52 degrees at 5000.  It will be 39 tonight.  I heard a report of snow above 7000 though I didn't see any.  I imagine you'll be way above that in CO.  It's August.

I wouldn't bother with any protection spray/gun.

I was thinking of trying a different pillow method out this year that supposed to be super ultra-light.  Put FlexAir ultralight medical pillow in your browser.  They are under 5 bucks and the reviews are good. A good nights rest may be the most valuable thing on a trip like this so don't skimp on what you prefer sleeping wise.  

Also agree with more food.  Maybe 2 days more rations.  

I don't think you would have to worry about snakes unless you were super low in CO.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2014, 12:01:00 AM »
couple things, what are you doing about water, water purification.  don't forget some Advil muscle and joint ES and bug repellant.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2014, 12:10:00 AM »
We'll be camped near a spring & I'm taking a Katadyn filter for camp + chlorine tabs in my daypack.
The pillow is a little Kelty packable down thing. Weighs about an ounce & with my puffy under provides good support. You do NOTwant to be stuck in camp with me if I can't sleep well!  :)
The gun was just a thought & I have no problems leaving it in the safe.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2014, 12:28:00 AM »
Rob, you can get a liner for your sleeping bag, fleece or silk that will add 10 degrees of comfort to your bag, light weight and little space. The Unitias Utah, Wyoming, got snow last night, and the frost is in the air out here!
Good luck Mate!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2014, 01:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:

Originally posted by elkken:
If you choose to go plastic bottles I would go for 20 oz instead of 16 and I would not bring the spotting scope/tripod unless you are hunting really open country, you can see a lot with 8x42's. I would bring a few more arrows, especially if grouse hunting will be good. I would definitely keep the wet wipes, I use them to clean up good so I don't get chaffed, that is a hunt killer.

Good luck on your hunt and be safe ...

:campfire:  
The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I'll grab a pull-up top, 1l Platypus soft bottle, next time I'm in town. Ditch the nalgene altogether.
I'm not 100% sure what the terrain will be like where we're going to be. I figured I'd take the spotter (it's only a little 12-24x50 Burris) & the tripod (one of those U/L 41" $12 jobs) out on the first day. If I stay in the timber, I can always leave it back in camp the rest of the week. I'd hate to find myself overlooking a 2 mile meadow without it!

Silly question: Do any of you Western boys bother with a sidearm? I'm 50/50 on whether to pack along an ultra compact .45 I can't decide whether the extra weight is worth it. [/b]
Rob. I would leave the spotter at home and save that weight. Definately at least 4 pr of socks. Ditch the pruning saw you won't use it. With the weight you lost from the spotter you could take a pack axe. I've used that little thing so much. Split an elk sternum or pelvis or spine in no time. Also I always take my S&W air lite 357. 12oz loaded. I'm a fan ofthe Nalgene cleans easy. And can be used hot and cold. Extra bow string that's been stretched and shot in. You have my # call me if you need anything.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2014, 04:04:00 AM »
Dump the pillow for sure.  You can use a rolled up fleece or sweater.  I don't see duct tape.  Wrap some around a lighter.  For extra weight savings, cut about half your toothbrush handle off.

I don't see a leather man.  Just the pliers can be worth their weight in gold...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©