3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pick apart my packlist please!  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pick apart my packlist please!
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2014, 05:10:00 AM »
I'm in the dump the spotter camp unless you are worried about antler score. The Kelty is a darn good bag, it'll serve you well. I'm thinking you don't need the 230, puffy and jacket, seems like a lot of duplication to me. Sawyer squeeze would save you some pretty good weight and give you the water bags, cheap too.  I like a 1 liter smart water bottle over nalgene.  More cordage is good.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2014, 07:17:00 AM »
Does anyone in the group have a lightweight tarp along?  Make for a much nicer place to stand/sit/cook in camp if the weather turns nasty. (And it very likely will at some point)
I assume you do have maps/ compass as a backup to your phone/GPS?  Electronics are great, but I wouldn't go into the mountains without a good map and compass.
Also, add some sunscreen and chap stick to your med kit.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2014, 07:41:00 AM »
Chap stick for sure.  That's a good call Whip
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 08:05:00 AM »
From my self contained cycling / back packing list.

We carry one 2 1/2 gallon zip lock bag with a very very small bottle (one of those 2" long squeeze type bottles) with woolite in it.  That is your washing machine for your clothes and your shower bag for personal clean up.  When hiking we carried things is 3's. Wore a pair socks, drying socks and had a dried pair. The same with t's and skivvies.  You use the zip lock, very small amount of woolite and water ad just soak your socks and underware in camp. rinse in the stream and hang to dry.  You will have clean under clothes for everyday and that is most important.

I never go on a trip with out a travel size container of Gold Bond powder.  Good for your feet and even better for chaffing in other areas. Hiking with chaffing in private areas can be a little tough.

We also used a lot of the dry Lipton soups and meals that come in small bags.  The just add water type.  They are very light.  You can get tuna in a pouch now also which is a great snack.  If you need bread, we carried pita bread which is flat and has a pouch you can fill with tuna, peanut butter/jelly etc.  The next time you are at a restaurant grab some of those individual containers of jelly and peanut butter. They are small, light and real good when you are hungry for a snack. Carry these in a small zip lock just in case the come open.  Keeps from getting everything else all sticky.  

Almost every large grocery store, Walmart  etc has free condiments in the in the deli aisle.  grab a handful of mustard and mayonnaise packets.  No need to refrigerate, they are small light and taste real good with your tuna when you are hungry.

Every food item I mention comes in foil or plastic (no cans = no weight).

Dump the spotting scope and use good binoculars.

Have fun.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
Quick clot x2

I also really like a Sawyer filter better than any of the others I have had. I can fill my water bladder without removing my pack, drink straight from the thing, or use it as a gravity flow for camp. Oh and the price is right. Just a thought.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
If there was oatmeal in my pack my 76 year old mother would have to go along to make me eat it!

Ate too much oatmeal and baloney when I was growing up with 6 kids and no money. Hate it now.

Looks like a solid pack to me.

Good luck.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »
I agree with others that you will need more paracord, ESPECIALLY if you get one on the ground. I also would ditch the spotting scope. It may be the area I hunt, but I've decided to leave my 10X50s at home and just carrying my compact 10X25s this year.

I had my wife to sew in an extra bladder pocket into my pack and will not be carrying any extra water bottles... just two 64oz. bladders. Much depends on how close you will be to water.

Good luck and enjoy!!!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
Replace your shoelaces with good paracord.  It'll be there if you need it, and you can disassemble the main cord and use a strand for boot laces if you have to.

I'd probably ditch the spotting scope as well, and the pillow.  I also would NOT rely on the phone GPS.

I'd take more arrows, too.  The success of the whole trip depends on having an arrow hit your elk in the boiler room.  It would be a shame to not have any left when you needed them.  I wouldn't take fewer than 8.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
alternative to paracord is balers twine, works great, strong and very light weight.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »
Okay, so I've packed a full 100' of paracord & the 7x10 silnylon tarp I was going to leave is now coming along.
I'm not leaving the pillow. Simply not going to happen!  :D
Chapstik & quick-clot are in the first aid kit & I have about 6' of duct tape wrapped around my trekking poles.
Substituted the nalgene for a 20oz Smart water bottle, which really slims down my daypack (thanks for that suggestion!)
I'm really, really reluctant to nix the spotter. Pretty much everything I've seen/read about the area we're headed for says 50/50 timber/meadows.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
And as to the GPS on my phone....

I've been tooling around with the Backcountry Navigator Pro app for about a year now & there isn't a single stand-alone GPS unit that can beat it. Many  have the same or similar features & the only thing they all win out on is battery life. But they're also about $500 & I just don't have the money to spend or the need for a unit that good for 99% of my life.
I'd be taking my phone anyway & the GPS app really is better than most units. It doesn't rely on a cell signal at all, so I can put the phone in Airplane mode & I get a solid 3 days of life, even with the GPS signal active.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »
I didn't see a call in the list!  A cow call has been invaluable to me.

GPS or not, a good map and a compass!

Pretty much everything I've seen/read about the area we're headed for says 50/50 timber/meadows.

That is true as regards the flat  tops , but once the season opens and the elk get bumped a few times they descend into the canyons and hang on the benches.  The scope won't do much good their but if you find you don't need it you can always leave it in camp.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »
I do have a few cow diaphragms, but honestly, I haven't really had much opportunity to play with them & I've never used a diaphragm call in my life before! I can make a sound like a seagull being gang-raped, but that's about it.
I'm going to pick up a local topo map when I get nearer.
Would a squeeze-style cow call be worth looking into, or would I just be better off hunting silent?

PBS & TBT Member

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
Not sure if it was mentioned but id add a 8x12 thick painters plastic or other plastic light weight tarp like sheet like used for covering windows etc fro the hardware store.
  I always have the with us when we camp and everytime we end up using it to make a roof to dry stuff under, sit under if raining alot, cook under, etc. just stick a rock in the corners and wrap rope around the rock and stretch over a ridge pole and all good. fast and simple and weights about as much as a pocket knife.  Also great for keeping firewood dry if raining alot.

Id also make sure there are 2 saws between you guys. Its one of my most used tools when setting up camp.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
Maybe get on Amazon and pick up an extra battery for the phone.  I got 2 last year for my phone for about $20.  Wish I'd had them during my 14 days in Alaska wilderness last year.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
Get a call.  The squeeze type is the easiest.  The diaphram is the hardest and if you can't do it well by now, leave it home.  It would do more damage if your no using it well.  Other than that, don't go crazy with the calling.  Seems like your ready!

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
I just picked up a Sawyer mini filter (only 2oz) to replace my katydin...saved 12oz.

Sounds like this is a base camp for four guys.  I can only imagine a fire of some type at night.  If the stove and fuel cans are only for boiling water I would only take one and use the campfire to boil.

The small diameter rope used for trot lines is handy.  Its tough and strong and weighs a lot less than paracord.  I would take 20-30ft of paracord and 50-100 feet of the trot line.  It makes good clothes line, tarp guys, tying of elk legs, or hanging meet.

I leave in one week for a 'bivy' type hunt.  My six day pack weight is 39lbs.  50lbs for 6 days with most of it left at camp each day is a pretty good weight.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
Rob... I'd suggest a "bite and blow" cow call. Something like a Quaker boy. For me they are the best, most realistic AND EASIEST call to make a good cow mew or estrus buzz with. JMO

The push calls work, but I think, at least in my hands, they do not produce the most realistic calls and it is tough to make a real variety of cow calls with them.

My $.02. Again... GOOD LUCK. I'm anxious to hear how it goes.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
I don't see any sunscreen.  It will toast you if you don't have any.  I put mine on before I get out of the tent in the AM.
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
Day pack comments..,

Dump some of the water from the daypack and bring the filter.  That is a lot of weight in liquid.

Bring unscented baby wipes and not tp (you will thank me).  I use the wipes for a daily sponge bath and of course for tp.

You seem a little light on calories so know that you are dieting :-)   Put some calories in your daypack.

I think you will find the phone useless out there.  

A couple ziplock bags are handy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©