3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pick apart my packlist please!  (Read 1096 times)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pick apart my packlist please!
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by fnshtr:
Rob... I'd suggest a "bite and blow" cow call. Something like a Quaker boy. For me they are the best, most realistic AND EASIEST call to make a good cow mew or estrus buzz with. JMO
That is good advice!  I have two of those, a Lohman and a Primos.  Both work well.  What is important here is to not be aggressive or very loud with it.  Many guys find themselves getting into the area of the warning chirp with these calls thinking they are doing a call in heat.

If you just do a three mew run that sounds like a lonesome cat starting high pitch and dropping to low pitch, you will be sending the right signal.  This works great calling blind.  Blow a three call series about every ten minutes and wait.  Give it at least 45 minutes per stand.  If the bull lets you know he is coming, back away from the calling site and wait.  He will be looking exactly where you were calling from.

Being able to cow call probably triples your chances of success.

All in all, i think your packing list is a great one for anybody to refer to in planning this style of hunt!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline chris 1968

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
I`d take sanitary napkins instead of tampons or that quick clot stuff. I`d have 2 small candles and some Vaseline soaked cotton wool in a film container. One of those flexible wood saws and a small axe.
Not from being out west. But you know where I learned.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
Rob,I sleep better with a good pillow too,but I always have a down vest along and use that in my sleeping bag stuff sack.It's very comfortable,weighs the same as a Kelty pillow and is great for keeping my core warm,when needed.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2014, 12:08:00 PM »
Rob, I'm no expert, but I have been to Colorado (unit 521) numerous times.  I wonder if you will really need a spotting scope.  I did very well with 10x binoculars, which I used constantly, and didn't feel slighted at all.  Socks are important.  

For me. .  I got it down to wearing a light silk or similar sock beneath a heavier wool sock.  Two pair of each will do most times if you wash them as you mentioned, or at least let them air dry.

Same with clothing.  The air in the mountains is incredibly dry (you need to hydrate) and things dry in a short time.  Also, the sun is very harsh up there, so it will be hot during the day (cooler on north slopes in the big timber, where the elk will be).  You will learn to hike, but not stop till you find a little shade, any shade, even a bush.  It is a better habit anyway cause you don't stand out as much to be seen.

I would consider bringing a few more arrows and keeping them in your truck (if you drive out).  I generally lose or break three or four arrows just stumping (rocks everywhere), but I stump shoot a lot out there.

I also use a stuff sack or a T shirt and stuff some of my spare clothing into it for a pillow.

Oh, and I sleep better with a .45 next to me, but I don't tend to carry it while hunting.

Good luck and take pix for your story here on Trad Gang
ChuckC

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
You forgot LLamas....   :)   Way easier.  

Seriously, take the pillow.  I sleep way better with one as well.   Take extras of everything and leave them at the trail head.   If something major goes down, you can resupply.   I would take as little as possible in the way of backups otherwise.  

Oh and wet wipes are the most important thing in your pack for a 6 day hunt.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
I think your list looks pretty good.  You've been summarily beaten up about your phone and your spotting scope.  To each, his own.

I would suggest sharing the following among pairs of hunters:
water filter
stove
tent / tarp

Everybody carrying everything leads to "stuff not getting used".  Then you'll have room for an inflatable pillow.  That's what I'd carry.

Originally posted by monterey:
If you just do a three mew run that sounds like a lonesome cat starting high pitch and dropping to low pitch, you will be sending the right signal.  This works great calling blind.  
Pay attention to the details that Monterey has posted.  The first time you find yourself wondering "who's kitten is lost out here?", know that there's an elk nearby.

homebru

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2014, 05:02:00 AM »
rob, when you are back please post pictures of the trip including the game you take.

Also take a minute and let us  know what you should have taken that was suggested.  It may help others down the road for their trip.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
I'm hoping to take a bunch of pics while we're out there, for sure!
Thanks for the description of a cow call too. Everyone just says 'try a couple of cow calls' but being a loooong way from elk, I have no idea what I'm supposed to sound like! Very helpful!

I'll re-post my kit list when I get back &I'll  make a note of what changes/additions/subtractions I'll be making for next year.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
Rob, once you go you will realize there were things you didn't need to bring but until you do go it is hard to know. My second trip to Colorado was a lot lighter(read unnecessary stuff) than the first.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2014, 10:28:00 PM »
Ive looked up turkey call sound files online should be able to do the same for elk

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2014, 11:03:00 PM »
Lots of great advice so far!  The only thing I might add is to let your wet wipes air dry before you go then just rehydrate them when you get to Your campsite and yes ditch the spotter   :bigsmyl:  

Steve

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
Still can't imagine you needing a 145,230, puffy, jacket, and poncho this time of year. 145, puffy, and either jacket/poncho should suffice. If the weather is to bad for that combo get in the tent and bag, take a nap, and wait for conditions to improve.

Stay safe and soak it all in!

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2014, 07:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
I'm headed out to Co unit 25 next week for 6 days.
Not trying to be all ultralighty & not planning to hike in too far (4-5 miles tops)
I've packed, unpacked & repacked & I've narrowed my gear down to the following items. I haven't weighed a thing, for the simple reason that whatever it weighs, it weighs & I can only cut items, not substitute.

Bow & 4 arrows (+ 2 blunts for grouse)

Clothes:
Kuiu Attack pants (on)
Kuiu 145 Merino l/s top (on)
Kuiu 230 Merino l/s top
Kuiu spindrift puffy
Kuiu Guide jacket
No-name poly s/s tee
2 spare Exofficio drawers
2 spare Merino socks.
Kuiu lightweight beanie
First lite brimmed beanie

Camp stuff:
Golite SL5, no nest
Kelty 20° down bag
Kelty down pillow
Thermarest X-lite pad
Stove & cookset
2x gas cylinders
2x contractor bags
Mora knife
Micro towel
20' paracord
Wet wipes
Goal Zero solar charger (the little one)

Food:
12 packs instant oatmeal
6 portions trail mix, Snickers, dried fruit & deer jerky (roughly 1/3lb total per day)
6 home dehydrated meals (roughly ¼lb per day & around 1200 kcal)
12 coffee
12 tea bags
12 energy powder drink mixes
3l bladder
Katadyn hiker pro filter
spoon
Food coozy
Condiments
(Planned for 2500-3000kcal/day)

Daypack:
TZ2220 pack
3l bladder + 32oz nalgene for drink mixes
Havalon Piranta bolt + 6 blades
Gerber packsaw (one of those tiny things)
8x42 Leupold binos + SL4 harness
Spotter & tripod
Phone + GPS (Garmin backtrack)
Frogg Toggs poncho
Compass
Meat bags
Trekking pole (bringing 2, leaving one in camp)
TP
Lighter
Princeton Tek headlight + tiny energizer spare.

Can anyone see things there that I absolutely won't need, our is there anything that I absolutely will, but have forgotten?

Best I can tell on my bathroom scale, I'm at around 50lb total (give or take 10%ish)
Good list...make sure you have a saw or hatcet, and I would change the cordage to 5 10 foot lengths of paracord, and 1 2 foot length.

Also stash a handgun somewhere in there...

edit...ditch the tripod and the down pillow. Use one of your meat bags for a pillow, stuffed with the clothes your are going to wear that day. I use white cotton pillow cases as meat bags.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
Great list.  I would just add a second light source. Flashlights break all the time.  I like one headlamp and one small hand held at lest.

Nix the spotter. I have done a bunch of elk trips and on an archery pack trip you can do without.

Go on Craigslist and buy a Garmin Etrex Legend.  You can pick them up cheap used and they are excellent.

Not sure why I would take a handgun to the Flattops unless I though my hunting partner was going to be a pain in the a$$.
T ZZZZ

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
Pack some aspirin. If you think you are having a heart attack or someone in your camp it may be a life saver. Tylenol is not a subsititute.  

What is your plan for mosquitoes?
Thermacells are the berries.
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
Should not be any mosquitoes to speak of.  Bug problems will be plain ol fly's and those big yellow jackets.  When they smell meat it's like sharks to blood!
Monterey

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
I don't do much mountain hunting here in Florida so I don't have much to add on your gear list. However I did not see a spare bowstring in your tackle. A broken string is the most common ruination of any bowhunting trip.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
Two last things, then I'll shut up!  Absolutely expect a lot of rain.  We are in a long term pattern of moisture streaming in from the south west.  It probably won't change in the near future.  If we get our first cold front of the year along with that pattern, it will be snowing.

I think, as of this year, that your elk license includes fishing so maybe some light minimal fishing gear.
Monterey

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
Looks like a great bunch of advice on here, as expected.

Someday I hope to do this as well.

I read somewhere that canned chicken and Stovetop stuffing is good to have and takes up little space and is very easy to fix up because all you need is a pan and water to boil. You mix the canned chicken with the stuffing after cooking the stuffing....sounds good to me! Plus, the dry stuffing is very lightweight to carry too.

Good luck and be safety conscious at all times.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:
I read somewhere that canned chicken and Stovetop stuffing is good to have and takes up little space and is very easy to fix up because all you need is a pan and water to boil. You mix the canned chicken with the stuffing after cooking the stuffing....sounds good to me! Plus, the dry stuffing is very lightweight to carry too.
I think he has this pretty well covered.  He said he had dehydrated meals which just require you to boil water, pour in the package and wait 10min, stir and eat.  Nothing but a spoon to clean up.  By the way MSR makes a foldable plastic spoon that is a little longer than usual making eating out of these less messy.  Also, you can pour hot water in the oatmeal packets and stir up the same way.  The bowl isn't necessary is the way I do it.  I wouldn't be hiking anything in a can (other than beer for celebration!)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©