3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do you do better now?  (Read 480 times)

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
What do you do better now?
« on: August 23, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »
How long have you been hunting with a trad bow, and can you summarize what makes you a better hunter today than you were when you started?
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do you do better now?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 11:43:00 PM »
Long time, over 50 years....Instruction and advice from those shooting better than I.  Also, it is more a daily activity instead of an occasional thought.  It is more than fun when you hit the target
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 11:57:00 PM »
I have also been bowhunting over 50 years starting with small game as a kid.  I think when I started practicing shooting from odd positions and through brush, it helped me be a better game shot.  As for being a better hunter, that's kind of a trade off.  I understand the game better but I can't see or hear as well.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 03:34:00 AM »
Not a better hunter. But instead of buying guns and reloading all the time I'm buying bows and making arrows all the time. Might be a bit more patient about taking the shot.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline turkey65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 07:05:00 AM »
Been bowhunting over 60 years,more patience and enjoying every opportunity that happens to come along.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »
Composure and overall enjoyment!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
learned to relax and enjoy my time out there.

but I've came along way since 1986 when I ordered my first catalog bow and didn't have a clue how to hunt deer.
"Us vs Them"

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
I took my first buck in 1972, but basically took off the rest 1970's. Reading books by Gene Wensel, Fred Asbel, Roger Rothhaar has taught me a lot.

I enjoy being in the woods, trying to figure out animals especially bigger bucks. I have watched a lot of deer from my tree stands.

My only regret in the last 5 years or so was passing up a 5X5 whitetail at 12 yards in my shooting lane.  In my mind I still can see him swinging his antlers side to side as he stood there. Why? because there was a very nice 20"er
in the proximity. I have yet to see one that nice since.

I think setting specific goals has helped me quite a bit.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
I have learned to slow down and smell the roses.  I don't kill more, but I have better hunts. Retiring from a fairly stressful job a year ago helped me (finally. .  it took quite a while to happen) slow down in my whole life.  I kinda like it.
ChuckC

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
1. Have more successfully developed and implemented ever changing strategies, depending on the possible situations, to position me well w /me my effective range versus being positioned at the outer limits and gray areas.

2. Recognizing, identifying, acknowledging and firmly holding to the established effective range for a given situation.

3. Enhanced absorption of enjoyment at every close encounter that is not targeted quarry.

4. Greater focus on the spot and improved anticipation of animal movements on targeted animals. It is becoming a more common occurrence, once a targeted animal has been ascertained, that I only ever see a very small section of the targeted quarry, unless concerned with animal tension, before executing a shot.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
Superb question Archie.

I've actually thought about this a lot since I started trad hunting.

I'm a ground hunter and do very little hunting from popup blinds.  So, nearly every time I'm in the field, I'm choosing a stand site.  I've become much more aware of trail location, silhouetting, wind direction, etc.

The perfect set up for me is down wind, a few yards off a trail, at the point where a deer will stop for a moment to scan a field or more open area before entering.  When they stop for that moment to look for danger, the perfect stand location will allow me to shoot at that point.  Their attention is focused on looking for danger in the area they are going and aren't as focused on what is right beside of them (me!).
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
I have learned to slow down and smell the roses.  I don't kill more, but I have better hunts. Retiring from a fairly stressful job a year ago helped me (finally. .  it took quite a while to happen) slow down in my whole life.  I kinda like it.
ChuckC
Yep. I don't have to put meat in the freezer to be successful. Every day above ground is a blessing, and I love to immerse myself in the high country.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
Started in 1967........now I have more patience, I need it to spend more time in the woods. All my hunts are better now.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
Mellowing and slowing down with age has made me more patient.  Its still hard to sit still for very long but I'm much improved.  When younger I succumbed to wanderlust and curiosity and often found my hunting expeditions turning into explorations.  That cost me many opportunities but even so had it's own rewards.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
47 yrs....more knowledge and more patience.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 05:55:00 PM »
A lot of responses from seasoned veterans, so I will chime in with a (relative) newbie response.

Since going all trad, I have learned to learn.  Every single moment in the woods or on the range or at the workbench is an opportunity to learn something new.  Becoming acquainted  this site has been a very valuable tool.

I have learned that there is no teacher like the woods that we hunt, and the animals that we hunt.  I latch onto and cherish each moment I spend afield.  Watching young deer come charging headlong down a trail with little concern, and getting stone cold busted by a wise old doe....I learn!!!!  I hope to never stop taking new knowledge out of the woods every time I am lucky enough to spend time there.

LEARN!!!!  Knowledge is out greatest tool.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
Patience. Perseverance. Determination. Attempting to get game within my self-imposed limit of 15 yards, and then passing shots when the angle was wrong, has taught me a lot. It's been five years since I killed my last deer, but I'm excited about a new season and a new opportunity!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
Off and on with a bow since the 1970's. A lot with the bow since the 1980's. Exclusively with the bow the last 17 years. Knowledge and patience for me too are the things I have improved upon. Still, I am not overly knowledgeable nor especially patient, but I am making progress.
Sam

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
The older I got the more patient I got and the more game I seen. Also the more I enjoyed the hunt no matter if there was any game taken or not.
Each hunt each day is a gift.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 12:10:00 AM »
Over twenty years now, but I take more time with the shot, and with everything else.  I have nothing but time, no need to hurry.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©