3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Red Wing Hunters that get hunted.  (Read 561 times)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Red Wing Hunters that get hunted.
« on: August 24, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
I dusted off my wife's old Red Wing this weekend and tuned it up a bit to take shooting. I must say that I am always amazed by this bow. They had a few things figured out in 68'. After a few shots a soda can under 25 yds. was in trouble most of the time. That was with overspined/heavy arrows from my bow.

My wife hasn't shot it much this year since she is in school and I feel bad seeing it sit on the rack. I'm really thinking about hunting with it some this year. I need to make up some arrows.

Let's see or hear about those Hunters that get hunted.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Red Wing Hunters that get hunted.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 03:31:00 PM »
I love those old Red Wing hunters!  I own 3 of them.
Used a 46# one last year to take a nice Iowa doe.  Several years ago I used a RW Hunter to take an antelope.  Great performers that would stand up to many newer bows!!!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
45#@28" Red Wing Hunter

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Odyssey12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
I wish that I had a Red Wing Hunter.  In 1971 I was contemplating purchasing a Red Wing Hunter, and was talked into a Wing Thunderbird instead.  62 inches, 52 pounds @ 28".  I still shoot it, and it is a fine bow.  If I could change one thing, it would be make the grip smaller and narrower to decrease side torque, but I have always been afraid to mess with it, not knowing how much I could take off without compromising the bow structure.

Offline L. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
Sure like the Red Wing Hunters, but I LOVE the Slimline Pro. Wish I could find a clean affordable one.
Traditional Bowhunting: Cunning and stealth, not gadgets and gizmos!

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
Red Wing Hunters are hard to beat.  In 1972 I shot a 203# Minnesota 10 pt. buck with one.  Forty years later I used the same bow to shoot a respectable 8 pt. Iowa buck.  The 58" length of my Hunter is perfect for treestand or ground blind use.  I love these bows!

Bernie

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
I've got three and deer hunted with one last year and did a bunny hunt or two and much stumping.  Classic and great bows.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
I've got one that I shoot pretty regularly. Very early, tiny tip Bob Lee era....48#er. It's faster than any old Bears I've shot in that weight range. I put a feather rest on it last week just to give one a try. I'm REALLY digging it with the new rest. Unless something changes, it may be the bow that goes to the woods with me next month....but I've got a Griffin and a Big Foot that should be here tomorrow so it's still up in the air.

I also have a lefty RWH...still Bob Lee era but slightly larger tips. I bought it to try shooting left handed. But that ain't happening! I'm a hopeless righty.

They are great bows!

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 10:06:00 PM »
Here are the pictures of Dad's (Bernie) bucks he mentioned above, great bows, I enjoy shooting one myself.
-Jay

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
Love those buck Bernie. Thanks for posting them Jay.

I think the red wing hunters are a highly underrated bow.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
I have a very nice Slimline Pro that I had refinished a few years back and some great rattle snake skins added ... looks really nice. I have turkey hunted with it a few times, mostly it sits in the bow rack keeping my Stewart Multi-Cam company .... great little bows
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 10:19:00 AM »
I came across this old thread doing a totally unrelated search, but I think it's worth bringing back to the top.  

The first trad bow I hunted with (second trad bow I owned) is a Red Wing Hunter.  I hunted with it my first two years, but never killed anything with it.  For the last two years and this year, I have gone to a little lighter draw weight, so it hasn't seen any woods time and only limited range time.  

A couple weeks back, I got it out and dressed it up a bit, and now I'm really wanting to get it back in the woods.  I posted it on here when I finished, but I figured it would fit in with this thread as well.  Its from the mid '60s as far as I can tell and is pre-Headski.  58", 53#@28".  

It was in great shape when I got it, other than two holes where a sight was installed, but I didn't really care for the black glass and high gloss finish for hunting.  So a couple weeks back, I camoed the limbs, refinished it with a satin finish, and put a leather grip wrap on it.  Now I just need to work back up to the weight and hit the woods.

Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 10:26:00 AM »
Matt,
That Red Wing looks great. I had 52" one time but never really gave it a chance.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »
Thanks Marc.  

How did the 52" shoot?  I've seen a few used ones, but never a draw weight I wanted and never when I had the spare cash.  I bet it would be a handy little hunting bow.
Matt Toms

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 01:51:00 PM »
I had a 58 incher years ago and shot it a bit and sold it.I had tons of bows at the time and never shot it that much.

Anyways I bought a 52 incher a while back as I wanted another a short bow after selling my Toelke Kestral as I needed the money.I like to have a short bow for many situations that they work well in.

The 52 incher is a very good short bow with the highly deflexed riser.I shoot it well.Its smooth,quick and stable.They are pretty rare.I would recommend them if you can find one and want a short bow.

I will definatly be hunting with it!It has a endless B-50 string and feather rest.I get very good arrow flight.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »
I have one from 1959. The old guy I bought from got it new, and only hunted a time or two. Being a long bow shooter, I don't use it much and have never hunted with it.
Sam

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
I have one from 1959. The old guy I bought from got it new, and only hunted a time or two. Being a long bow shooter, I don't use it much and have never hunted with it.
The guy I got mine from about 5 years ago, bought it new in the '60s.  He hunted a few years and never killed anything with it.  He put it up and it wasn't shot until I got it.  If I get a kill with it, it'll be its first.
Matt Toms

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »
Matt,
Best I can remember it shot well and was quiet. That was the 80s and I didn't know anything about setting up or tuning a bow.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 08:43:00 PM »
I have a 58" 43# RWH that is in almost mint condition. I like it better than my Kaibabs or Bob Lee takedown.
Unfortunately, I will not be doing much deer hunting this year and most of my time is going to my Hill style for small game, etc.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline KodaChuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
Have one also...58" shoots fast. Pre Head Ski and AMF ownership. Nice curl in the limbs. Heard stories that when compounds were making their entry, they would show the speed of the new compounds by shooting them thru chronographs at shows. Then a gent with a Red Wing Hunter would show up and be faster than the compounds. Both Mike Palmer and Bob Lee used to work at Wing Archery and I think the RWH was the basis for the very fine bows and these men make today. Palmer makes a fast bow and I think he lights up talking favorably about the RWH being so good and smooth. I think it's a fine vintage hunting bow.
Palmer Recurve 64" 46# @ 30"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©