3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever shoot a Hill style and say "no thanks"?  (Read 5089 times)

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
Ever shoot a Hill style and say "no thanks"?
« on: August 24, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
I've been checking out Hill style bows for the last couple of years but haven't had the chance to try one so I haven't purchased.  I feel like I'm getting closer to buying one blindly.  So who here has tried one and decided it wasn't for them and why.  I'm currently shooting a widow pl.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever shoot a Hill style and say "no thanks"?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Yes, don't shoot a straight grip well- regardless of how hard and often I've tried.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Go to local shoots where trad archers might be.  Most or many will let you fondle their bow and even let you shoot it.  Hill bows are neat and could be addicting, but are not for everybody.
ChuckC

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
I went in blind,3 yrs ago...bought 4.. sold 3..after 3 yrs of LEARNING HOW to shoot one..I now have 4 and that's all I care to shoot...give it some time. Burt
R/D's soon to come

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
yes
Make a life, not a living

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
I shot one and didn't like it. To hard in the hand and to much vibration and shock and stiffness for me. To be honest I feel you shouldn't buy one blind.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 08:39:00 PM »
They are simple, elegant weapons that require discipline and dedication to shoot well.  I have owned a good handful of them.  I don't have one currently, but have figured out that the only type I really care for anymore is one with a stringfollow profile and a locator grip.  If a straight grip it has to be a deep wedge/tear drop shape.  They are not for everyone, but have loads of character and you can't beat em for simplicity.  I would never make one my primary bow, I just prefer the performance and look of a modern hybrid, but I still have my eye out for the right one on the used market, or perhaps I will have one built to my specs someday.

Backset profiles will have more shot reaction than straight or stringfollow limbs.  String material is a big influence.  Forget Dacron or thick strings.  A skinny string of FF material like D10 works wonders, especially when combined with an arrow of 10gpp or greater.  They like heavy arrows because the design isn't terribly efficient.  Light arrow will just make the bow bleed off energy into 'handshock'.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
bsv said it.... You gotta shoot them the way they want to be shot, not the way you want to shoot it. They aren't for everyone. Simple bow and complex style!  To be honest I have some days I feel like they aren't for me. Then the next I'm the second coming of Howard Hill. Well, maybe half that good...... And that's what keeps me shooting.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
I don't find a little handshock shocking..... Have shot big bore revolvers like the 475 linebaugh, 460 S&w, and 500 S@W for years...... Neglible...... I shoot a longbow so much better than a recurve....
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
I have shot them at the archery shop, too thumpy for me! But to be fair I probably wasn't shooting a proper weight arrow but don't think a proper heavy arrow would of tamed it enough for my personal taste still! Lots of guys love them though, can't argue with that! If I ever get another one piece longbow it will more likely along the lines of a Whip or the like!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
You need to try one for yourself,I'm  a longtime longbow shooter.I didn't shoot one for years because I heard of all the handshock.Well I traded for one a few years ago.I didn't feel the handshock that I've heard about.They were all I shot for a couple of years,had up to five at one time.Still have two and still enjoy shooting them along with my other longbows.I love the D-shape and the way it shoots,just something about a Hill.I like a straight grip or a dish grip on my Hill's.I felt I missed out not shooting one for myself before.I could have enjoyed shooting them way back.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
Hill style and self bows...I always  want 'em then I shoot them and realize I do this for enjoyment and they manhandle me.  I do not want to spend the time to master them, I'd rather use my limited time to hunt.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
Yep.  I love the look and tradition, but that grip style for me is the WORST and LEAST CONSISTENT of all grips I've ever tried.  I just can't shoot them well.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
If you like the Widow PL, you won't like the Hill style bow.  For me to shoot a Hill style bow, it would require the same somewhat irrational dedication that caused me to want to shoot traditional bows to start with, but taken to a different level.  My two shooting buddies both shoot Hill bows fairly often, so I've also tried them fairly often. But for me it's like eating liver: every once in a while I think I might like it, but as soon as I taste it, I know I don't. They're slow, they have hand shock, and they don't shoot where I'm looking. Other than that, they're fine.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »
If I want to get that rattled, I'll take my motorcycle off road ! But you really have to try it yourself. Definitely use a heavy arrow.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
I bought one blind.......took some getting used to but once proper grip and form is accomplished they are the most fun to shoot. Nothing like going stumping with a Hill style and some cedars with judos and blunts. For me I found longer is better and don't go to heavy at first. I think I have 4 or 5 now.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »
Yes, just had to pick it up and I knew, the grip was  all wrong.
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
I have never shot one that did not have a lot of hand shock and I hate the "thump"
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
My first was a straight handled NM.  Hated it.

My second was a NM Shelton with a smaller grip but still straight.  I like it pretty well.

My 3rd was a HH Big 5.  Located grip.  Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!!

With that said.  I'm not hooked on them.  Much prefer R/D longbows.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
McDave pretty much summed up the way I feel about them.

I have a Widow PL and I love it....Hills, not so much. I have one no name Hill style in 55# that I've had for about 5 years that rattles me to the bone when I shoot it...so I never shoot it.

I thought it might be that this was a poor build because nobody knew anything about it. So I bought a HH Big Five to try out. Seems like it was 59# and 70" long. It was just as bad to me. I'm just not a fan of the grip, the "twang" and the hand shock. And I was shooting some heavy POC arrows through it (another thing I'm not a huge fan of).

I wouldn't mind trying another one in the 45-50 pound range...just to be trying it....if the price was right. But it would be dead last on my bow bucket list.

If you like your PL your money would be better spent on another rd/hybrid....easier on the hand/arm, shoots where you are looking, and they are faster. Just my opinion.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©